Inability to control passengers of vehicles after taking casualties

Here's a problem with the way CM2 is coded: if you have an infantry squad being transported in a truck and they take a single casualty, you cannot on the next turn instruct them to get out of the truck. You must watch as the truck reverses and the passengers remain sitting upright in the back, taking more casualties. This doesn't seem right in relation to real life: passengers would jump out immediately if the situation allowed. Having them all panic immediately so that they cannot be controlled seems like a mistake. I wonder if this can be re-coded in future versions of CM2. 

2 hours ago, Pericles said:

<Snip> if you have an infantry squad being transported in a truck and they take a single casualty, you cannot on the next turn instruct them to get out of the truck. You must watch as the truck reverses and the passengers remain sitting upright in the back, taking more casualties. <Snip> 

If I understand the situation you are describing I think the reason the passengers can't dismount is because the truck is still moving.  If you stop the vehicle the troops can then dismount.  If you are playing in WEGO, as I do, you will have to wait for the turn to end before you can intervene and stop the truck.  If the truck is panicked the best you may be able to do is relocate its movement waypoint to a safer area. 

If I think a vehicle with passengers may come under fire (or a tank with passengers) I will give the passengers a Slow movement order while they are still in the vehicle.  So if the vehicle is stopped by OpFor fire in the middle of the turn the passengers will dismount, get low and move away from the targeted vehicle. Then at turns end I can intervene and give whatever the appropriate orders are.        

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If I understand the situation you are describing I think the reason the passengers can't dismount is because the truck is still moving.  If you stop the vehicle the troops can then dismount.  If you are playing in WEGO, as I do, you will have to wait for the turn to end before you can intervene and stop the truck.  If the truck is panicked the best you may be able to do is relocate its movement waypoint to a safer area. 

Just for clarification in case any new people read this what @MOS:96B2P is suggesting is this: Select the vehicle and delete all movement orders. Select the passengers and select the dismount order (special menu tab I believe). Then you can give additional movement orders to both.

The above does not work if the crew of the vehicle is shaken or worse.

Normally passengers execute their movement orders after the vehicle stops moving that way you can tell soldiers to get out at the destination and do something. Using the dismount command reverses this and forces the vehicle to wait for the troops to dismount first before following their movement orders.

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

If I think a vehicle with passengers may come under fire (or a tank with passengers) I will give the passengers a Slow movement order while they are still in the vehicle.  So if the vehicle is stopped by OpFor fire in the middle of the turn the passengers will dismount, get low and move away from the targeted vehicle. Then at turns end I can intervene and give whatever the appropriate orders are.        

LOL cool idea. A better one would be to not put your passengers in that situation in the first place :)

2 hours ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Very good advice.  I might use FAST if it would get the passengers into safer cover more rapidly.  One doesn't want them to be close to a vehicle that could get hit again and/or blow up and kill even more.

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

I might use FAST if it would get the passengers into safer cover more rapidly.  One doesn't want them to be close to a vehicle that could get hit again and/or blow up and kill even more.

This might work but the problem I found (I originally used Quick) is that you don't know where along the route the vehicle may be stopped by OpFor fire causing your troops to dismount.  You have to place the troop movement waypoint somewhere and give it a movement speed.  I generally place the troop movement waypoint on the destination.  If the vehicle stops due to OpFor fire and the troops have Fast they are going to try to run the remaining distance.  This may work if the vehicle stopped close enough etc.  With Slow If they dismount, stay low and crawl away I think they are more likely to survive until the WEGO turn ends and I can decide if I want them to Fast, Quick Hide in place continue to Slow or whatever I think will work best.  Trying to get them to survive until the end of the WEGO turn in good enough condition to still take orders is the challenge.  

If anyone recalls the original AAR for CMBN release was Bois de Baugin.  In it the allied player was trying to move a truck load of troops forward and was unaware of a German scout team hiding along their route.  Needless to say the perils of assuming it is safe to travel in a soft vehicle is likely to end up with lots of red crosses  :lol:

On the other side of this situation, ain't it cool when dudes stand up in a HT and start firing back? First time I saw that I think I was testing some sounds, I must've watched the replay ten times.

Mord.

35 minutes ago, Mord said:

On the other side of this situation, ain't it cool when dudes stand up in a HT and start firing back? First time I saw that I think I was testing some sounds, I must've watched the replay ten times.   Mord.

I had the same reaction when I saw tank riders shooting from the back of a tank.  Very cool.  I made it part of my screensaver slideshow.  

YOTfEgxh.jpg

It's even better when they do it from a jeep...

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, Pericles said:

Here's a problem with the way CM2 is coded: if you have an infantry squad being transported in a truck and they take a single casualty, you cannot on the next turn instruct them to get out of the truck.

As others have said, stop the truck first, then you can dismount.
If it's an extreme emergency, click the circle X button to order a halt, and command both the truck, and it's passengers to dismount.

That will guarantee the truck stops moving, unless he's completely panicked.