Anatomy of a Stryker...Convoy

Long time stalker of the forum here, and I have a question about some Strykers.

So a few weeks back I was near Ft. Carson, Colorado, and I was lucky enough to see a convoy of a troop of Strykers from the 2/1st Cavalry, 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, en route to  Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site (I believe). However, after studying the 200 or so pictures I had taken of the convoy (yes, I am a nut) while halfway out my car window (no, I was not driving), the configurations had me a little confused.

So its a cavalry unit, right? So it should be equipped with M1127 Strykers Cavalry Vehicles, which, to my understanding, do not possess the M151 Protector RWS. However, it seems that most of the vehicles I passed had the M151 along with that little green, uh, box thingy that's used for RSTA. 

post-73830-0-40872400-1434054290_thumb.j

Red is the RSTA box; blue is the presumed M151.

post-73830-0-41173600-1434054331_thumb.j

Different Stryker, with M151 uncovered

post-73830-0-43190600-1434054373_thumb.j

This one seemed to lack the RSTA box

post-73830-0-93912300-1434054591_thumb.j

Also saw M1131 Fire Support Vehicle, I believe (along with a M1133 Medevac vehicle which couldn't make it into the post).

So...thoughts? I thought this was little strange...were the M151s retrofitted to the Cav vehicles, or the RSTA boxes retrofitted to vanilla Stykers? I know not all Strkers in a cavalry units are M1127s - some M1126s and others mixed in - but I still thought this was interesting. 

Edited by Currahee150

Welcome stalker.

Part of the switch to DVH Stryker is supposed to involve replacing the M1127 recon Strykers with modified DVH M1126s:

The modified M1126 Stryker ICVV/DVH infantry carrier is the base variant for 7 additional configurations, which will be employed as part of coherent v-hulled Stryker Brigade Combat Teams: M1129 DVH Mortar Carrier, M1130 DVH Command Vehicle, M1131 DVH Fire Support Vehicle, M1132 DVH Engineer Squad Vehicle, M1133 DVH Medical Evacuation Vehicle, M1134 DVH Anti-Tank Guided Missile Vehicle, and the Infantry Carrier Vehicle DVH-Scout (ICVV-S). The ICVV-S is a new configuration that allows internal stowage of the Long Range Advance Scout (LRAS) surveillance system, which is mounted externally on the standard M1127 Reconnaissance Vehicle.

1-4 is one of the brigades on DVH Strykers. 

http://www.army.mil/article/120325/

Maybe they decided to keep an option for an external mount?

Edited by akd

Currahee,

Welcome aboard!

Now that you're here and have shown us just a few of your pics, I believe I'm insanely jealous. Why? Your convoy experience makes all of my childhood military convoys vanish into nothingness. To think we got all worked up over 6 x 6s towing M101 howitzers, the same type as we used in WW II. We kids would hoot and holler and wave our little arms off as we cruised past all those guys in the trucks, whose canvas covers were up, but the rear tied open. They'd smile and wave back at us as six kids and their parents cruised past sometimes dozens of trucks. This was before Nam tore the country apart.

What you got to see and image is astounding, and you would be the belle of the ball in many model clubs as a result. Strykers don't exactly grow on trees, and the only ones I've ever seen live were bow on in a motor pool well away from the post road I was on. Of that bunch, most were tarped. Somebody should've videoed you while you were going hog wild with your AFV photo fest. Could've gone viral! And thanks to your OP, I've now learned some new to me military lingo, DVH. Please share more of your AFV grog exciting pics with us.

Regards,

John Kettler

Welcome stalker.

I probably should have used the word "follower"...less connotations. :P

1-4 is one of the brigades on DVH Strykers

That answers my question...I completely forgot about the DVH Stryker, and I had no idea they elected to ditch the M1127. Interesting. Thanks for the info. 

Please share more of your AFV grog exciting pics with us.

I'd love to, but I've run out of space to attach files, and I don't have an account with Photobucket, etc...any workarounds? 

Of course I could probably just bite the bullet and make an account. It does say it is free.

Edited by Currahee150

I probably should have used the word "follower"...less connotations. :P

That answers my question...I completely forgot about the DVH Stryker, and I had no idea they elected to ditch the M1127. Interesting. Thanks for the info. 

I'd love to, but I've run out of space to attach files, and I don't have an account with Photobucket, etc...any workarounds? 

Of course I could probably just bite the bullet and make an account. It does say it is free.

google drive also has some free file storage.  There are quite a few out there.

I  bit the bullet. Photo heavy post follows. You have been warned. 

They'd smile and wave back at us

This guy waved  :P

20150527_135918_zpsy0vzx5zm.jpg

More images of M1126 DVH Strykers.

20150527_135913_zpsnitn23fh.jpg

20150527_135845_zpssnrao8ue.jpg

20150527_140807_zpsa79op2iy.jpg

Side view. 

20150527_1358410_zps72qw1xsm.jpg

M1133 Medevac Vehicle.

20150527_140932_zpsunlfzxdt.jpg

M1130 Commander's Vehicle.

20150527_141023_zpsgwgj5245.jpg

Not sure what these two are.

20150527_140907_zpsp7j3s14w.jpg

20150527_140946_zpspywclgat.jpg

Earlier that day, I also got to see a pair of B-1B Lancers perfrom loops above Colorado Springs. (USAFA had graduated the day before, but IDK why'd they'd come back.)

20150527_112246_zpsveruv7t6.jpg

20150527_112007_zpsb0ydgnud.jpg

These pictures, because I'm crazy enough to pull over on the side of the road at Fort Benning and take pictures of tanks. On two separate occasions.  :D

20141231_095650_zpsuiscd69s.jpg

20150509_162023_zpsvwjw9nej.jpg

20141231_095706_zpsmq3lmnmr.jpg

The highway I frequent for travel has Anniston Army Depot up the road, which refurbishes the M1 Abrams (among other things - I see Strykers, Bradleys, and MRAPs pretty frequently), so I got to see a USMC M1A1 going in for an appointment. 

20140512_155342_zps7hc6thao.jpg

There. I have now overloaded you with pictures of military vehicles. Everyone will now think I'm crazy. Or report me to the NSA. Probably both.  :P

Edited by Currahee150

The ICVV-S is a new configuration that allows internal stowage of the Long Range Advance Scout (LRAS) surveillance system, which is mounted externally on the standard M1127 Reconnaissance Vehicle.

What good is the LRAS when inside of the vehicle? Wouldn't it have to be mounted externally to actually do its thing?

Will the DVH Strykers be given "A1" designations (M1126A1, M1134A1, etc.)? Will all Strykers be upgraded to a DVH configuration?

The LRAS is a very fragile box full of glass and electronics, for day to day operations (ie not combat or field training) the LRAS is better off kept inside the vehicle. The FSV right now has a mounting bracket that protects the LRAS during movement of the vehicle, I believe the RVs just have regular troop seats.

• 1 year later...