Any reason to pre-order?

Cpl Steiner

Not really, other than being notified the moment you can download it. You should think of the pre-orders just as a matter of convenience to BFC, as it helps them to gauge how many discs and manuals and cases they should print etc. So ignore it if you don't need a paper manual.

Oh, and pre-orderers also get exclusive M1A3 Abrams and T-95 units, but other than that...

I will be buying the digital download only version of the game so would I gain anything by pre-ordering?

If - like me - you are a download only person (in my case because of local taxes levied on physical packages) then you cannot pre-order, if BF stick to their usual rules ...

Not sure why, as - given that a pre-order system exists - BF could take our orders like everybody else but then just NOT send us the package ... :D

I would happily improve their cash flow by pre-ordering a download-only.

Not only that, if you have to reinstall the game—and I have—it goes a lot faster and with less chance of an error coming off a disk than from the web.

Michael

It is with some trepidation that I offer a view contrary to that of the Oracle, but ...

Provided that the original download file was correct and working (sort of like the proviso that the original disc arrived in the mail undamaged and correct ...), then - given hard and optical drive speeds - if you need to reinstall I think it is quicker to do so from the copy of the download file that you keep (along with at least one backup copy ...) on your machine's hard drive, than from a disc???

You need download it only once ... :)

It is with some trepidation that I offer a view contrary to that of the Oracle, but ...

I figured somebody would come out with that; might as well be you. :D

Yes, it's true. A downloaded copy can be stored in a variety of ways. You could burn your own DVD or save it on a thumb drive, for instance. In my case, I am willing to pay BFC to do all the work, but I quite understand that users outside the US may face higher costs (in some cases, much higher costs) than I do.

To each his own.

Michael

Really, these days the old 'reading the manual on the toilet' excuse for preordering hard goods is kind'a old hat. You can upload the PDF manual to your tablet and go about your business just as easily. :)

Yeah with smartphones, tablets and .pdf u can go about business as usual, but there is something about printed stuff that some of us still like. Must be instinct.

I use my smartphone every day and its with me all the time. I use my tablet with wireless for youtube.

Yet I still have a book collection and like ordering printed manuals.

Elsewhere I see Gary Grigsby War in the West will have a separate printed hard cover book with additional background info and playing tips that I plan to purchase.

If BF did a separate book on its new Combat Missions and Black Sea stuff I would buy that in a heartbeat.

You should consider something with the likes of Bill H and others and do a additional manual/strategy and tactics book. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Really, these days the old 'reading the manual on the toilet' excuse for preordering hard goods is kind'a old hat. You can upload the PDF manual to your tablet and go about your business just as easily. :)

I don't know, dropping a printed manual in the toilet is a lot less upsetting than dropping a tablet or phone in the same place.

http://www.cnet.com/news/study-19-percent-of-people-drop-phones-down-toilet/