Saferight's Mods

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of the second and last ones except for the colour. I have to say I do not like the colour of any of them.

Looking at some colour pics I see that freshly cut steel is ranges from light grey to very dark grey. Any colour casts would be from lighting not from the steel. I would argue that the penetrations should be neutral colour cast too.

This image is nice simple steel plate:

HR_Carbon_Chunk_Slab_3000.jpg

The next two are pretty shinny but still just a light grey:

free_cutting_steel_bar.jpg

20mm_thick_stainless_steel_laser_cutting_service.jpg

This is actually from a armour plate test - nothing to do with WW2 but the point is the under lying steel is well a dark grey.

16jo308.jpg

That's some great reference. Besides, you can notice also that metal will change color when heated. penetrations or non penetrations generate a lot of localized heat, thus changing the metal color, depending on the heat reached in various areas. You can go from brown to violet and blue. That fresh hole has a little of brown in it.

Careful, those two pictures represent re-colored pieces..... the scratches have been Painted over for evaluation puroposes or to enhance the visual, that's not a true color. In fact the T-55 turret would rust in a week if left in the open without protecting the scratches with that paint...

Careful, those two pictures represent re-colored pieces..... the scratches have been Painted over for evaluation puroposes or to enhance the visual, that's not a true color. In fact the T-55 turret would rust in a week if left in the open without protecting the scratches with that paint...

I figured as much.

I found that turret you had during my list and I quickly realized that it must have been painted to avoid rust. So I changed my search to look at cut steel instead of actual armour penetrations. You already have an excellent shape and look to the actual whole it was just the colour I feel needs adjusting.

Thanks guys i hope you enjoy them. Those are it for now i'll come back to them at a later date if someone hasn't released something better by then. I would like to improve upon them but i want to do other stuff for now.

In the mean time i'm going to be adding some more stahlhelms and someone has graciously offered to do the normal maps for all of them. I'm also going to do some splash screen/load screen mods similar to what i did for CMBN but probably much smaller in quantity.

Don't know where else to put this, but the hit decals don't show up on my Panthers, they do on other vehicles. I'm using Aris' Panther mod. I just see white dots.

Turn shaders off and see if that helps. There is/was a bug that I thought they had fixed in testing, but I guess not, since I still get the white dot/hole for all hit decals with the shaders on.