Juju

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, guys. :)

Any ideas on how to display the new 'red' casualty marker over the weapon icon yet?

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that text is a hard-coded overlay, like the text on menu buttons and such. If that's the case there's nothing I can do about it.

I do hope it's going to be something on the graphic itself. As it is now I think it's a little too in-your-face.

Where did you get the soldier images from if you don't mind?

I'm a glass half full type of guy, so not having the game yet is not all bad. Gives me time to experiment and work out ideas. :)

I'm already getting a lot of work done (which I haven't previewed yet, and won't until release). This probably shaves off precious weeks of development time after the game's release. So this time you won't need to wait two months for the first release!

Here. Updated HQ icons. Added three more. Urrah!

HQ WIP preview2.jpg

I'm a glass half full type of guy, so not having the game yet is not all bad. Gives me time to experiment and work out ideas. :)

I'm already getting a lot of work done (which I haven't previewed yet, and won't until release). This probably shaves off precious weeks of development time after the game's release. So this time you won't need to wait two months for the first release!

Here. Updated HQ icons. Added three more. Urrah!

HQ WIP preview2.jpg

Magnificent work, congratulations :)

I want him ;)

Where did you get the soldier images from if you don't mind?

Some are made using regular photographs. But for most I use photographs of painted miniatures, as they tend to have nice exaggerated lines and contrast. This helps preserve detail after I shrink them down.

Obviously there's more to it than simply shrinking down an image. After that it's tweaking the hell out of contrast, saturation and selective lightening and darkening of individual pixels. Sometimes I add (like maps) or remove (like glasses or beards) elements. I might flip only the head on some. Or, in one case, switch out a weapon for another one. Or alter arm positions.

I can easily spend 30 to 45 minutes on a single one. And that doesn't even include the time I spent searching for what I need. Sad thing is, for every one you see I probably made another one that didn't make the cut.

I can easily spend 30 to 45 minutes on a single one. And that doesn't even include the time I spent searching for what I need. Sad thing is, for every one you see I probably made another one that didn't make the cut.

Brother, I know that feeling! I've chucked at least 4000 portraits over the last couple years, easy and probably have a couple hundred hours in just the faces. I know one day I spent almost ten hours messing with a single face!

It's looking really good, man. Great job.

Mord.

One slight caviat, you have Nazi symbols on both the Army and Waffen SS versions. Not everyone likes Nazi symbols and in some countries they are illegal (eg Germany) so it might be as well to think of any alternative for the Heer such as the black, white and red shield from the helmet or the Iron Cross or Balkan Cross?

Just a thought otherwise it looks great.

One slight caviat, you have Nazi symbols on both the Army and Waffen SS versions. Not everyone likes Nazi symbols and in some countries they are illegal (eg Germany) so it might be as well to think of any alternative for the Heer such as the black, white and red shield from the helmet or the Iron Cross or Balkan Cross?

Just a thought otherwise it looks great.

Thanks!

Heh, I'm way ahead of you regarding the Swastika and SS symbols. Just today I made a few variants with the Balkenkreuz and a hammer and sickle only. Not sure if I'm going to make every possible combination available, though. Cos, like, I'm not Mord, you know. ;)

As for them being illegal in some countries; to me (and probably most of us) they're just symbols. They're part of history. They don't scare me. They will always be displayed on preview pictures, but I'll never force them down players' throat. Anything with these symbols on it was and always will be purely optional.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that text is a hard-coded overlay, like the text on menu buttons and such. If that's the case there's nothing I can do about it.

I do hope it's going to be something on the graphic itself. As it is now I think it's a little too in-your-face.

I'm with you. Fingers crossed they can be modded.

Juju - Great work as usual ! Thanks for taking the time to make it.

Hey! it's Manx! I must have missed that post. Now there's a name I haven't seen in a while. The place to go for mods in the olden days (2001), if memory serves. Boy, I remember it was a sad day when your site went down. Good to see you around again! :)

Juju - Hey my friend! Yeah, i still hang around here. Indeed it was probably 2001-2 when i had to close the site. I know i had the privilege of hosting a lot of your work. I remember it was costing me a small fortune in web fees - the host was charging me at "large" business rates due to the amount of bandwidth it was using :) I would guess nowadays data usage would be considerably cheaper.

Still, at least i actually get to play the games more than i did back then, and can't wait to play CMRT.

All the best Juju, and thanks again for all the graphical improvements you've done over the years.

Okay, time for a light snack. Rank icons this time. The German ones have merely been cleaned up and updated to fit into the new UI, but the Soviet ones are new (and still need some tweaking).

They may seem a bit stylized to some, but there's the overall design to consider. ;)

RT Rank test.jpg

Although there is no SS in the base game I'm including their icons as optional files, going on the assumption (dare I say 'firm belief?') that someone will come along shortly with an SS uniform mod.

Yet more tweaks, alterations and additions.

Added the Maxim 7.62, along with new German MG's. The HMG versions of those now display the upper part of the lafette. And finally, the last 'ugly duckling' of the old set: a new PzF 30k.

Weapon slot Preview2.jpg