314 new Force Specific Backgrounds released

Finally. My force specific backgrounds for CMFI are finished - and uploaded to GreenAsJade´s site (too large for the repository)

Axis (red): http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/4904/details

Allied (blue): http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/4905/details

The Blue set include 153 backgrounds for the allied side (344 MB) and the Red set have 161 backgrounds for the axis side (362 MB). But then there should also be a decent chance that you will still discover new photos while loading the game in a month or two.

As mentioned earlier I have emphazised quantity over quality here as I believe one of the most important qualities of a force specific bakcground is that it is new.

The vast majority of the photos are from Italy, but - rather ironically - it has been extremely hard to find any good photos of italian forces in Italy. Thus, I have been forced to use a few pics of italian troops from Albania and North Africa.

You will notice that I have added captions to some photos, while I haven´t to others. My criteria for adding captions are these: They must add some hard info that isn´t immidiately obvious from looking at the pictures - usually about who, where, when and so on. An example: The caption "Sherman tank on beach" won´t be included, as you can see that by looking at the photo. On the other hand I have used a caption like "A Sherman tank of 23rd Armoured Brigade coming ashore from a landing craft at Anzio, 22 January 1944", as it tells you exactly who, where and when. In many cases - especially regarding the german photos - there is little info except that the photo is taken in Italy during the war. In these cases I have omitted captions.

Enjoy

Here are a few examples:

forcespecificbackground.png

Hi Whiterider

No, I hadn´t noticed that one. But I can see that a lot of the pics are the same :)

If you want to use both sets of backgrounds together you´ll have to do some renumbering - as some of the files will have the same numbers now.

The numbers of the files have to be sequential, so you could for instance take the pics you want from the v2-file and give them higher numbers than the highest number in my mod. Now 164 is the highest number for Blue, so they should be named 165, 166 and so on. The highest number for for Red is 169.

Cheers

Whiterider: I have today contacted Fizou who made the v2 set - and he has kindly sent me all the photos he used for his set of backgrounds. I´ll begin making an additional set containing his pics one of the coming days.

Childress: Thanks. Yes, I think BFC would have been forced to pay a small fortune for the right to use these pics - as that would be commercial use.

• 2 weeks later...
I was under the impression that the force screens was shown based on the side you played in a battle? Issent this true? Ive been seing axis screens playing as allies on several occasions in CMFI.

I believe that at some occasions (maybe when you load a scenario the first time?) the game picks a FSB with no regard to the side you´re playing. Other than that I think it is always side specific.

If your question is aimed at my set of FSB´s in particular, the issue might be that some of the photos could be used for both sides. For instance there is a group of fallschirmjäger captured by CW troops at Cassino. Most of the men are germans, but I have the photo in the allied set as they are in "allied custody". Likewise with a knocked out pz IV, etc.