load briefing first and then the map

I agree, sometimes I just want to read the briefing and get an idea of the scenario before actually committing to it. Another little thing would be when you finish a campaign mission, having the choice to save and then not automatically the next map. Kind of annoying when I'm ready to quit but have to wait a minute or two for the next map to load.

On loading times, RAM and HDD speed are probably the most important things, but won't make it instant. I have 4GB RAM and it takes ~30-45 seconds for a small map, 1-2 min for a medium, and then on up from there depending on the size. Longest I've seen is the Bloody Omaha map, took 4-5 minutes at least. Which reminds me, I need to tackle that beast, I only played it for a couple minutes the first time so I could watch the big arty falling all over the place :D

For blazing fast loading speeds you might want to check out getting SSD. Essentially it's like hard drive RAM, whatever is installed on it stays in RAM for very fast access. Your OS boots up much faster and if you got the space(and money), games do too. I haven't tried out SSD yet, I'd be curious if anybody has CMBN installed on a SSD, comparing the loading speeds of the bigger battles.