(PREVIEW): Juju's steel rail bridges mod

Juju

I'd like those for all rail-tiles - hint, hint :)

Heh, I've dabbled with those rails. But it soon turned out I was basically recreating the originals, as there's really nothing wrong with them, apart from those sleepers. So it didn't seem worth the effort. Maybe later. My next projects will most probably be foot bridges, possibly followed by urban/vehicle bridges.

Hey hey, thanks for the nice comments!

They're available now at Gaj's, and in the Repository in due time.

As usual, heap big thanks to Tanks a Lot for his invaluable help!

Incidentally, can anybody point me to a scenario or quick battle that actually uses a stone rail bridge?

Can anyone go into more detail for me? Cheers

Yeah, I can. What it means is that you do get both bridges either way. One option just has better looking rails and sleepers on the steel bridge, the other has better looking rails/sleepers on the stone bridge. As the rail portion of the texture is shared you cannot have them both look optimal at the same time, is all. As I already recommended, use the 'optimized for steel' option (just the file with the '_A' at the end). Why? Because that bridge benefits the most from the optimized texture and so far I've seen only a few steel rail bridges in scenarios, but not a single stone rail bridge.

You can also add/remove the _B option depending on what type of bridge is on the current map you're playing. It's simple, really.

But seriously, did I not cover this in the ReadMe?

Allow me:

The sleepers on the steel bridge are longer than the ones on the stone bridge, but both use the same texture, The longer ones are just stretched. This means that the steel plates and bolts that attach the rail to the sleepers cannot be made to be in the correct position for both types of bridge (shame on BF for providing only one texture option). Here are pics of Juju's excellent mod in the version fitted to the steel bridge. In the other version, the mountings are outside the rails on the steel bridge, but fit the rails on the stone bridge.

sleepers2.jpg

Stone bridge with misalignment

sleepers1.jpg

Steel bridge with properly aligned mountings.

Hope that helps with understanding, the choice is still yours. :)

Oh darn, beat me, Juju. Took too long with the pics. :(