Mortars engaging with no order.

Is it me or have mortars suddenly started targetting with no orders?

its happened a couple of times now.

First 2 of my 81mm mortars spotted a Sherman and started firing at it and blew through their whole 24 rounds (albeit they did manage to damage it to the point the cew bailed, which probably saved me :D)

and now one of my 60mm has spotted some infantry and is attacking with high fire rate and is going through its rounds quickly and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

is anyone seeing this?

Cheers!

Yes, I have seen this as well.

I had a German 81mm mortar spot an infantry squad at roughly 300m and start lobbing rounds at said squad. The mortar had no target orders and the squad was not firing at anything. The squad was near a TRP. The mortar was Crack with +2 command and within voice command radius of it's HQ.

Not sure if this counts as a bug, but it is different from version 1.00

The Covered Arc command is your one true friend on the battlefield.

:D

Keep the facing the same, just keep a short covered arc on those mortar teams. They do seem to go into rapid fire mode according to their perceived threat level. But uber, infinty-minus-one variables may account for rate of fire.

edit - one may be ... they don't think of themselves as holding the power of steel rain their hands... they are 4 guys.. and that's a freakin' tank... aaaahhh kill it.

The Covered Arc command is your one true friend on the battlefield.

:D

Keep the facing the same, just keep a short covered arc on those mortar teams. They do seem to go into rapid fire mode according to their perceived threat level. But uber, infinty-minus-one variables may account for rate of fire.

edit - one may be ... they don't think of themselves as holding the power of steel rain their hands... they are 4 guys.. and that's a freakin' tank... aaaahhh kill it.

It's a change since pre-patch though, and not one that's going to make any bunnies happy. It was quite clear that mortars wouldn't engage with their tube unless you told 'em to. Maybe that was a mistaken conclusion, but it sure would've come up sooner that mortars are blowing through half their ammo load in a minute, I think.

I'm starting to fear the code control is creaking, with all these apparent glitches with the patch.

Yeah, I noticed this too. Since they had no targeting line, trying to give them a Clear Target order had no effect. Finally, I gave them a Hide order and that shut them up.

Michael

Yeah, I had one mortar team target light an mg in a foxhole, when the unit was not spotted anymore and the target was canceled, the mortar quickly switched to target and fired off a couple of rounds in quick succession...

The last thing I want to do is moan and say the typical "the patch broke more than it fixed" or "now that 1.01 is released we need the next one tomorow!", but somethings have got to be adressed...

it seems the mortar thing isnt the only thing plaging 1.01

Yes, I had the same issue with my 60mm mortars. The first two times it happened I had just cancelled a direct fire order. The next turn they continued to fire so I thought I was either mistaken. Later in the battle another 60mm fired without any orders whatsoever at a unit that I wasn't even aware that he could see.

I'm not alone, then. Man, I thought I was losing my mind faster than normal! I went to call in a 60mm for the first time in a game and it was "Firing > 1 minute" or whatever the notation is...I wondered wtf? I was still able to set a target, which cancelled the AI mission. But still...

akd: My problem was in a saved game, from v100, but it was saved during the "Give Command" phase. Regardless, I nuked it, figuring it was porked because it was a v100 game, and the readme for the patch warned about problems with pre-patch saves. I haven't seen it yet in the one new game I started after the patch.

That's a bit annoying. Guess I'll have to start putting target arcs on my mortar teams.

Maybe just leave them undelployed till you need them might help a bit. This is going to require a bit more micro management of mortar crews but I haven't found it to be such a bad thing. Every other unit in the game fires on it's own judgement and I've had a couple of occasions where I've been glad to see a bit of inititive from the mortar boys. Maybe a reduced rate of fire would be a bit more desirable.

I was having issues with 60mm mortar teams NOT firing on targets of opportunity. I had the team set up in a beautiful little spot, a small hill in front of them to protect from direct fire and one rifle toting member of the crew spotting over the ridge. They had an enemy infantry team in sight about 150 meters away. I figured they would fire without an order so I let them be, at the end of the turn, no bombs had been fired. I then gave them a target command and that solved mine and the enemy squads issues (they were all killed by 60mm rain of death, I was happy!)

I always set my mortars up in the rear and let FOs and HQs do the spotting. The only exception is when they mortars are part of a platoons OOB, like in the airborne units. And then I tend to set them up just at the edge of C2 while the platoon moves forward, and then pack them up and move them forward when the next objective is reached.

Maybe a reduced rate of fire would be a bit more desirable.

I was wondering about a user-set number of bombs fired per turn, like 3, 6, or unlimited. When you clicked on the unit, an option screen would pop up and the player would just type in a number and the screen would close until the next time you clicked on the unit. Everything else would remain the same as now.

Michael