When should I try PBEM or vs. human?

You should always take action before you think you are ready - then you learn the most and the fastest. Also, if you play against the AI too long you pick up a lot of habits of thought that will hurt you when you come to play a human (I speak from experience here).

So go for it, now!

If you've done the tutorials I'm sure that's enough. I didn't even do that. :) (And got a nasty surprise one game - not *too* nasty, though.)

Be warned: as soon as you start playing humans you won't go back to the AI! The joy to whack a fellow human is so much more satisfying...! ;)

Yeah, that seems to be the big problem.

I was worried about wasting someone's time. But then it occurred to me that only an extremely hardcore player is likely to be upset by winning too quickly and easily. Maybe it'll get old later, but ATM newbie crushing should at least have novelty value.

I don't know about the "best" way, but I just put up an post in the Opponent Finder forum and got more game invitations than I could accept. Later I'm likely to want to join a ladder/club/group/website/whatever, but the forum post did more than enough to get me started. I suspect that's also where you're most likely to find beginners at Human vs. Human play.

Nothing is more challenging, and interesting than playing HvH. I do suggest however that one does some "training" vs the AI to get familiar with the game, and to test tactics before jumping right into HvH otherwise you more than likely will get owned by your opponent if they are seasoned. Be warned though that what works against the AI may not work as well as against a human. Personally I played all the single player stuff first, then started HvH. I believe all that "training" paid off since I have won my PBEMs so far.

Think of AI playing as “training”, and HvH as the “real thing”, but as others have said once you play HvH nothing beats it. If you play by email it becomes a “cliff hanger” episode you get to enjoy each day that is very easy to get addicted to.

Tips for playing HvH I can pass along:

Always load up on ammo while you can. You will use more vs a human with plenty more use of area fire to suppress enemy. Don't let em breathe! Keep the tempo going!

Always pop smoke to shield during medic aid if not sure if area is secure. Medics get hit more HvH. Check wind first!

Most importantly play cautiously where you might have been able to be bolder against the AI. Not to say being bold doesn’t pay off sometimes, but it is more of a gamble vs humans.

Bottom line is HvH is where the game shines the most!

Beating the AI isn't exactly preparation for beating a human, except maybe to learn the core mechanics. AI is predictable and simple "minded".

I am not so sure about that anymore. I am not a scen designer, so am not sure if the AI is capable, but not scripted to it's potential or not.

But I have seen the AI be absolutely lethal in Normandy.

My advice: start right away, pick an experienced player, let him humiliate you thoroughly (on the battlefield, you sick people!) and have him tell you step by step why and how he was able to. You most probably won't win that first scenario, but there's nothing like learning from mistakes or bad judgment.