Last Defense, Valley of Trouble, and CHANCE ENCOUNTER!!

I was never much of a CMAK or CMBO player, so what's the story behind these classic missions with such a devoted cult following like Chance Encounter or Valley of Trouble? What are the situations of those scenarios, and what about them made them so near and dear to players' hearts?

Broadsword,

In the case of 'Last Defense', 'Valley of Trouble', and 'Chance Encounter'..

I would say that there is nothing particularly unique and groundbreaking, other than the fact that these were the ONLY maps available to us when we were waiting for CMBO to come out.

And as such, the result was a common experience, and a source of nostalgia... Also, it was our FIRST taste of the Combat Mission magic.

You will probably be underwhelmed with playing them after hearing the hype, but I think this is what is behind it, at least for me...

Foobar

I was never much of a CMAK or CMBO player, so what's the story behind these classic missions with such a devoted cult following like Chance Encounter or Valley of Trouble? What are the situations of those scenarios, and what about them made them so near and dear to players' hearts?

For me it was the profound shock and pleausure of finding a game where the designer actually "got it". I ran in to CMBO in the form of the demo, and the demo scenarios are etched in my brain like a laser put the maps there. When I played them, it was with a sense of "Hot Damn, finally, it's here! THE GAME that we always talked about being possible one day..."

I don't think it's that those scenarios are superior from a design standpoint, but for a paper map and cardboard counter tactical gamer, finding CMBO was like being a kid and discovering there really is a Santa Claus. It's nowhere near on the same scale of importance, but just like most of us remember where we were and what we were doing for the rest of our lives when a momentous historical event or tragedy strikes, those first scenarios are going with me to the grave.

In fact, if I could be buried on that hill on the left overlooking the Valley of Trouble, while those magnificent, blocky squads who have contended over that electronic real estate so often fired a volley and played that glorious rendition of Taps that played at the end of the scenario, I'd be happy to spend forever with a clear line of sight to that opposite elevation.

BTW, where's the mod that duplicates the CMBO opening and closing music....?

As already said these are the CMBO Beta/Gold scenarios. They where recreated for almost every Combat Mission game since then (CM:A is missing, someone has to do somefink...) . They are presumably the scenarios most often played. For me it is Chance Encounter I have most played, but the first experience of CM-magic I had with Riesberg. Would also to like to see this last one for CMBN.

Even Wikipedia knows about it:

[...]

Demo scenarios

Three playable public demo scenarios were offered by Battlefront.com at various times. A Beta Demo was released first in October 1999. A Gold Demo was released later, and because the file format changed, two new scenarios were included on it that were not compatible with the earlier Beta version. Neither demo included access to the mission editor, but did permit solo, hotseat, or email play.

Last Defense

Last Defense was included with the original beta demo.

Riesberg

Riesberg was included with the original beta demo.

Chance Encounter

This scenario was originally released as an add-on for the beta demo, at Christmas 1999. It was later also released as part of the Gold Demo. It depicted a meeting engagement late in the war between an American rifle company supported by Sherman tanks, and a German rifle company supported by assault guns. The terrain depicted a rural crossroads overlooked by a forested hill. Chance Encounter has remained a popular scenario and versions of this battle have been recreated by third parties in Combat Mission: Afrika Korps and even Combat Mission: Shock Force.

Valley of Trouble

Valley of Trouble was a new scenario for the Gold Demo that depicted an American assault through a fortified valley.

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Mission:_Beyond_Overlord

I've only played Chance Encounter and Valley of Trouble from the second demo.

I kinda wonder how they will play compared to the CM1 engine, and what the differences will be. You've got a lot of green Wehrmacht troops dug-in in Valley of Trouble. Will the trenches and infantry pits give them a decent chance of defense?

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Broadsword,

In the case of 'Last Defense', 'Valley of Trouble', and 'Chance Encounter'..

I would say that there is nothing particularly unique and groundbreaking, other than the fact that these were the ONLY maps available to us when we were waiting for CMBO to come out.

And as such, the result was a common experience, and a source of nostalgia... Also, it was our FIRST taste of the Combat Mission magic.

You will probably be underwhelmed with playing them after hearing the hype, but I think this is what is behind it, at least for me...

Foobar

More than that remember that in the way back machine the demo missions were the only CM you could play while also waiting for the full game to arrive. CM was before website downloads.

They also highlighted certain things like Tiggers can die to 76mm hellcats. StuG's die to Sherman. Green volksgren sub-machine-gun troops dieing at range to regular and vet US rifle sections yet murdering them at sub 40m ranges in the trees. Relying on schreks as the US have more tanks than you. Learning that not every penetration is a kill from HEAT rounds.

Sure CM was great but what really showed you how awsum it was was the almost infinitely replayble demo missions and interesting situations CM through up. For many early adopters CM demo and the missions were CM for what 6 months or longer?

New demo bah who cares, I pre ordered and can download the full game when ready. First time I played closing the pocket was after downloading it to the full game. But you know what i miss, chance encounter. Last defence was ok but it's no encounter in the forests filled with 18yearolds and submachineguns.

I've only played Chance Encounter and Valley of Trouble from the second demo.

I kinda wonder how they will play compared to the CM1 engine, and what the differences will be. You've got a lot of green Wehrmacht troops dug-in in Valley of Trouble. Will the trenches and infantry pits give them a decent chance of defense?

I guess we'll see soon enough.

No volkgrendier platoons: 2 sections 8 men armed with MP40s and 1 section 2x MG42 and 6 MP 40 schoollevers. two of those and one "normal" combat range platoon with rifles. I don't think it can be done properly yet which is maybe why it exists only as a QB map now (155 open i think)

I don't think it's that those scenarios are superior from a design standpoint...

I think Chance Encounter is. I can't recall any other canned scenario that grabbed me as much. It's probably the only one from CMBO that I'd want to play again today. All the other ones always seemed to disappoint me in one way or another, to have something wrong with them somewhere, but this one seemed to be perfect in all its ways.

Michael

Some pics of my first battle-test of the new (but yet not finished) CMBN "Chance Encounter" map:

I played the German side and set up a very basic AI plan for the US attacker.

My óld favorite hull down position on the CMBO map also worked like a charm

on the new map. Bang...the first Sherman is gone.

spr10.jpg

My infantry approches the Abbey and gets under heavy fire from the remaining US tanks

spr11.jpg

The first US platoon emerges from the western woods and is beaten back by my mortars. OK...big victory for me since the AI is no real match in CMBN.

spr12.jpg

But wait ...suddenly the tide was turning.

My Stugs were destroyed in short time by the remaining Shermans and those gamey Yanks started a strange "Safari" with their Jeeps to hunt down

my tank crews.... so I guess no Jeeps will be included in the final version.

spr13.jpg

Despite a fanatic defense of the Abbey and its surroundings by my Pixeltruppen the AI started a well coordinated final assault against me...

and succeded. Five minutes before game time ran out the graveyard and the Abbey were taken by the AI and my last forces were driven out of the church building.

spr16.jpg

Final result: a humilating defeat against the AI.

Lessons learned: back to tactic school ... haven´t played CM games for more than five years. Seems that an overdose of Mario Kart on the Nintendo WII has killed my skills.

Keep AI plans simple and never underestimate your enemy.

Can´t wait to present you the final scenario.

Kind Regards

Tom

I always thought in was called Valley of Terror: Freudian slip I guess given my appalling lack of success.

Thinking about it: wasn't Valley of Terror a Sherlock Holmes story? Hmm: never mind Hamstertruppen and space lobsters, I want Holmes in a scenario.

Sure does take me back...probably the scenario I played the most out of all the demo stuff...amazing to see it updated with such beautiful graphics and fidelity.

Really nice work Tom! Glad you are back in action...I hope you'll stick around for quite a while. You gave us a lot of gaming goodness throughout CMX1.

Your Bulge mod was one of the greats!

Mord.

Tom, thank you for Chance Encounter scenario. I like landmarks. ;)

Hi Ales,

thanks. I hope no one is offended by these :D At least Steve´s Cafe, the St. Grammond Abbey and the memorials survived all my battle tests without collapsing :eek:

Cheers

Tom

BTW: if you missed the announcement: "Chance Encounter CMBN" can be downloaded from the Repostory.