Please do the PDF manual with a darker font (black on white?)

Hi all,

I would really like to request that BF please redo the .pdf manual with a darker font. I downloaded the .pdf manual to my Kindle and its almost unreadable. I have the paper manual that came with the steel box version but the print is pretty light there as well. My eyes aren't getting any younger so its a bit hard to read. I understand you can't go back and re-print all the manual but it can't be THAT hard to redo the .pdf manual with a darker font or something with more contrast so its easier to read electronically. PLEASE????

thanks,

Kevin

That's actually a really good idea to use a Kindle (or other eReader) alongside your computer. I hadn't thought of that, despite having a Kindle.

Since the Kindle grayscales text, I can see why you are asking for a black on white text version.

I'll see what can be done about this!

Steve

Thaks Steve, that will even be nice for my IPad since the brown tends to wash out a bit in daylight.

Hi all,

I would really like to request that BF please redo the .pdf manual with a darker font. I downloaded the .pdf manual to my Kindle and its almost unreadable. I have the paper manual that came with the steel box version but the print is pretty light there as well. My eyes aren't getting any younger so its a bit hard to read. I understand you can't go back and re-print all the manual but it can't be THAT hard to redo the .pdf manual with a darker font or something with more contrast so its easier to read electronically. PLEASE????

thanks,

Kevin

Have you tried using the print friendly version?

Hi all,

thanks,

Kevin

One option I took is to "select all" (ctrl A) with the PDF open and copy to a word document. It comes out at around 6 point size but another "select all" gives you the ability to upsize all the document to 13 point without effecting the margins too much. There are a few pages that get a bit mis-aligned in text layout, but overall it is black at least and readable.

Noba.

One option I took is to "select all" (ctrl A) with the PDF open and copy to a word document. It comes out at around 6 point size but another "select all" gives you the ability to upsize all the document to 13 point without effecting the margins too much. There are a few pages that get a bit mis-aligned in text layout, but overall it is black at least and readable.

Noba.

This doesn't work very well as it won't copy the pictures. A better option is to use a program like calibre to convert the pdf to epub format. The conversion isn't perfect so you may have to edit the epub with an epub editor (I use Sigil). It takes few hours of work to do a good job, but I now have an epub manual that I can read on my iTouch or my iPad.

Steve,

Print size is a big deal for us aging Vets. The first thing I did after getting CMBN was to get an EZ PDF app for my Nookcolor and move the Game Manual PDF over to my Nook. It works great. I am hoping that you will update the PDF version of your FM 21-200 as things change with time. It could be posted somewhere on your website.

I find the Editor program pretty intimidating and hope you could also do a simple tutorial in PDF format.

Thanks for all your hard work and the great game you folks have produced.

This is fairly easy to achieve if you have access to the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not just the reader). Just use the Ink Manager to locate the offending brown colour (Pantone 140 C) and have it aliased to Process Black. Then print the PDF to the Adobe PDF "printer" to get a nice version with white pages and black text.

I've done this for my own purposes (so I can stick it on my Sony Reader). The only other thing I did was bump the page size up (unintentionally) to 16cm x 22cm instead of 11.4cm x 17.78cm.

I could place this file in the repository, but not without permission from someone at Battlefront. An easier option would be for them to strip out the Pantone spot colour themselves and make available a black print on white version.

Yeh something needs to be done, perhaps it is being done right now because the printable manual has disappeared. The paper manual that comes with the game is unnecessarily difficult to read, pity because it was a good move to have such a manual in the first place so a A+ for effort.

Regarding my epub version of the manual, given the CMBfN manual is copyright material I doubt I could release it to the general public. Also it is not a perfect conversion so I doubt Battlefront would be happy having an unprofessional version of their product released into cyberspace.

Note to Kindle users. The method suggested by Leadmeister does NOT work. When I try to open the PDF created by his method I get an error message from my Kindle: "The PDF cannot be opened due to features not yet supported by Kindle." Looks like we still need BF to do an official Black and White version. Any update Steve?

thanks,

Kevin

Note to Kindle users. The method suggested by Leadmeister does NOT work. When I try to open the PDF created by his method I get an error message from my Kindle: "The PDF cannot be opened due to features not yet supported by Kindle." Looks like we still need BF to do an official Black and White version. Any update Steve?

thanks,

Kevin

Sorry it doesn't work on your Kindle. I don't own a Kindle, so obviously my method was targeted for the larger PC user community that uses standard PDF viewers, such as Adobe Reader.

YOU KNOW THAT THE EASY OPTION HERE IS TO JUST PRINT IT OUT FROM THE PDF FILE, IT MAKES NICE 8x11 SHEETS WITH NICE CLEAR COLORS ON WHITE PAPER OR WHATEVER YOU WANT.

So the manual is not the best color choices, stop complaining, I am impressed they even provided one at all, not many computer games come with them these days because of printing cost, so keep it up and you all might never see a printed manual from Battlefront again.

YOU KNOW THAT THE EASY OPTION HERE IS TO JUST PRINT IT OUT FROM THE PDF FILE, IT MAKES NICE 8x11 SHEETS WITH NICE CLEAR COLORS ON WHITE PAPER OR WHATEVER YOU WANT.

So the manual is not the best color choices, stop complaining, I am impressed they even provided one at all, not many computer games come with them these days because of printing cost, so keep it up and you all might never see a printed manual from Battlefront again.

Yes, how dare anyone complain! Slysniper is satisfied, and that should be the end it!