Can't get my AT gun to fire (DEMO version)

I'm playing the DEMO as US. I have an AT gun set up adjacent to bocage. It is deployed. It is not hiding. It is not taking any incoming fire and is not surpressed or rattled in any way. It has LOS to 2 armoured cars and I can draw a targeting line to the armoured cars. But it just sits there and doesn't fire. Any advice what I'm doing wrong / what I might have missed?

By the way, I'd post a screenshot but after I printscreen and then try to paste into e.g. excel, the pasted bitmap is just black. Any advice on taking screenshots?

I'm playing the DEMO as US. I have an AT gun set up adjacent to bocage. It is deployed. It is not hiding. It is not taking any incoming fire and is not surpressed or rattled in any way. It has LOS to 2 armoured cars and I can draw a targeting line to the armoured cars. But it just sits there and doesn't fire. Any advice what I'm doing wrong / what I might have missed?

By the way, I'd post a screenshot but after I printscreen and then try to paste into e.g. excel, the pasted bitmap is just black. Any advice on taking screenshots?

Use "fraps" (google it :)). For some reason you can't take screenshots like that in Windows 7/Vista. Curious to see what the issue is.

Thanks for the help.

You'll need to talk me through the screenshot posting. I have it captured by fraps now. And I can see it in Windows Photo Gallery. But I can't attach to this post (says it is too big) and I can't re-size it in Photo gallery. I pasted it into Word but then this post wouldn't let me attach a word file either.

ok, I think I've got the screenshot attached now ...

What you can also do is use a free photohosting website such as imageshack (there are others as well), upload the screenshot there and put the link in this forum. The screenshot you attached is very small, so uploading it to another website is a better idea.

It does look odd. How long did you have to wait before they fired? Keep in mind that it is a green crew with a bad leader. And they are nervous. All of this will be detrimental to their fighting ability. Any way, if it is a bug, it would be good if you have a save game. I know the people of BFC like to have these things to have a better look :).

Yep. That image is better.

Don't know what the problem is... only thing I can think of is that one of those tree trunks is in the line of the shot, so the gunner is holding fire because when he looks through the sighting reticule he can see that his crosshairs are on the tree trunk.

WRT tree trunks specifically, I've never seen this happen (in fact, quite the opposite -- it often seems that gunners are very often willing to plow their shots into trees repeatedly). But CMBN definitely does track the difference between what a vehicle or gun crew as a whole, can see, and what the gunner can actually see and shoot at through the gunsight.

For example, numerous times I've had a situation where an unbuttoned Tank Commander can see an enemy unit from his high viewpoint at the top of the turret, but the gunner can't see this target because there's a small rise or other terrain feature in the way. In this case, the TC may take the enemy under fire with his MG, but the main gun or coax won't fire.

Again, I've never this kind of thing happen because of a tree trunk, but I suppose it's possible.

Ok I think I've found the problem.

Firstly thanks for the support - it was while I was making several save games in different positions to send to Ken (c3k) that I discovered something. Also in answer to stikkypixie about how long I waited for them to fire - I'm still waiting and they never did fire :)

So, what I found is that if I set up (before game starts) the gun in exactly the same position and then issue a face command towards the bocage then my gun will target and fire when it spots something. In the example I posted (and in several subsequent set-ups) I just placed the gun there and hid it without issuing any such face command. Then when likely targets came into view of nearby units I un-hid the gun. But it never fires even if having LOS as shown. So I guess that it is not properly set-up "within" the bocage to be able to fire through it. The rub is that when I try to issue a face command at that later point, it changes nothing. I guess I would need to pack-up, "move" to same location and face to/through bocage before setting up. I didn't test that yet but it would make sense.

By the way I haven't yet sent any save games since I think this is the answer. But I still could send them if you see any value to it?

Also, this is all quite self-testable for others if interested - I'm playing the DEMO, Closing the Pocket as US. Just try setting up in that location with and without using face command in initial set-up phase. Then just wait a couple of turns until targets show up and you'll probably see same thing happening in each case.

And although it's frustrating I can't even complain about getting an LOS / targeting line - after all the crew will have LOS even if the gun doesn't (I'm assuming that without face command the gun is "behind" the bocage rather than "in/barrel through" the bocage). And so the crew might even fire their small arms if infantry came into range since I believe from other games I've played that infantry doesn't need a special face command before it will shoot through bocage - they only need to be moved adjacent to it.

Anyone from BF able to confirm that this is all working as intended as described above?

I experienced the same thing only just last night. 75at behind low bocage, gun had Los to many targets for 15 minutes but could never fire. Gun barrel was clearly over the bocage, Los was blue...I noticed the crew was furiously pointing the barrel back and. Forth at various targets, but could never fire. The loader was having some kind of fit and his animation was stuck in a nonstop loading cycle, but the animation never completed. Finally i had to pack it up and wheel it 16 meters away and unlimber it again...that took like 7-8 minutes total. I made it but never got more opportunity to fire. I tried various area targets in plain view before and after but he would never fire.

I have save game if anyone wants it.

I experienced the same thing only just last night. 75at behind low bocage, gun had Los to many targets for 15 minutes but could never fire. Gun barrel was clearly over the bocage, Los was blue...I noticed the crew was furiously pointing the barrel back and. Forth at various targets, but could never fire. The loader was having some kind of fit and his animation was stuck in a nonstop loading cycle, but the animation never completed. Finally i had to pack it up and wheel it 16 meters away and unlimber it again...that took like 7-8 minutes total. I made it but never got more opportunity to fire. I tried various area targets in plain view before and after but he would never fire.

I have save game if anyone wants it.

I'd be curious to know if the gunner ever showed the status "aiming" instead of simply "spotting." I have the impression that "aiming" pretty much guarantees a round is on the way in the next second or two.

I'd be curious to know if the gunner ever showed the status "aiming" instead of simply "spotting." I have the impression that "aiming" pretty much guarantees a round is on the way in the next second or two.

No, some times units will try to aim and then notice they can't take the shot. You'll continually get the aiming message, but no shot is ever fired.

• 2 weeks later...
same thing for me with an ATG in the same spot. It refuses to fire at armored cars 50m away and the gunner just alternates between "spotting" and "planning" for minutes at a time. He only quit when the armored cars spotted him and killed him.

I have posted about this "Planning/spotting" problem three times already. Just out of interest, had you moved the ATG from its default set up position?

I have posted about this "Planning/spotting" problem three times already. Just out of interest, had you moved the ATG from its default set up position?

Yes. Into the exact same position that is shown earlier in this thread. This has happened both times I played this scenario from the American side.

Yep. That image is better.

Don't know what the problem is... only thing I can think of is that one of those tree trunks is in the line of the shot, so the gunner is holding fire because when he looks through the sighting reticule he can see that his crosshairs are on the tree trunk.

I definitely agree it's the tree. LOS is from the commander, probably, and LOF is from the gun. The commander can see under/through the canopy, the gun can't.

The target line appears to go be several feet to the left of the tree. I have also seen too many instances of tanks firing multiple consecutive rounds into trees between them and the target for me to believe the tree would deter the gun from firing.

Looks like a bug to me.

The target line appears to go be several feet to the left of the tree. I have also seen too many instances of tanks firing multiple consecutive rounds into trees between them and the target for me to believe the tree would deter the gun from firing.

Looks like a bug to me.

In the picture, there's a tree trunk with 'no foliage', looks like a 'show nearby treetrunks only'. It's the canopy of that that looks like it'd interfere, but that's a guess since I cannae see et.