My Steelbook experience

I'm in awe. You're the master of rants. I agree with all you said but lacked the kahoonas to say it myself. Your closing remarks were brilliant - ROTFLMAO!

Yeah, rants are so useful to everybody. It's just what everybody here needs is a lot more ranting. Because it takes a lot of guts to fly off the handle and refuse to look at things from any other perspective but one's own personal point of view. I know it certainly inspires us to do more, because hey... irrational and emotional customers deserve to have more attention from us than calm and rational ones. We should sit through a whole lot of rants and be thankful for the opportunity to be abused and mischaracterized.

Yup, that's what gets us up every morning thinking "let's make wargames for the underserved wargaming market".

Steve

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Revere can also be seen to be warning the British if you want to go that route too. Doesn't mean it has much bearing on reality.

Steve

Better watch your step there mister, or you'll get lumped into the "lamestream" media next. Our N Korean Allies would be upset.

Better watch your step there mister, or you'll get lumped into the "lamestream" media next. Our N Korean Allies would be upset.

Looks like someone has been watching the wrong news channels. Everybody knows we're allied with West Korea.

Steve

(I got my degree in History *and* I grew up in the area. Two extra reasons for me to groan)

Yes got mine yesterday also and no extra charges for delivery to Canada, though that has always been the case with the BFC products I have ordered. I have to admit from this negative talk on the forum about the steel book, I was expecting some cheap plastic case. Not so, it is quite well done and I am very happy with it. I didn't really mind the color of the manual, but the size of the font does make it tiring to read, at least for me anyways. Overall, money well spent! Now on to the game. :)

As I posted earlier in this thread, I got my Steelbook this week in the mail and it seemed OK. But I was busy with work and didn't have time to check the package carefully, as I had already successfully installed it on my home-office iMac via the download method. Today, I finally had time to check out the contents of the Steelbook box carefully, and all it lacks is the activation code!

I still have the whole package, the padded bag, paperwork, the lot. Looked everywhere, through each page of the manual, and I can't find an activation code anywhere. Is it on a sticker, a tiny slip of paper, a sheet of paper? I am sure it wasn't included.

So, I've emailed sales@battlefront about it and expect a reply tonight, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

As I posted earlier in this thread, I got my Steelbook this week in the mail and it seemed OK. But I was busy with work and didn't have time to check the package carefully, as I had already successfully installed it on my home-office iMac via the download method. Today, I finally had time to check out the contents of the Steelbook box carefully, and all it lacks is the activation code!

I still have the whole package, the padded bag, paperwork, the lot. Looked everywhere, through each page of the manual, and I can't find an activation code anywhere. Is it on a sticker, a tiny slip of paper, a sheet of paper? I am sure it wasn't included.

So, I've emailed sales@battlefront about it and expect a reply tonight, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Should be behind the CD.

Finnish postal office (Itella) send notification that my Steelbox is in custom. Had to pay extra taxes (23%) that's 13 euros. Totally Steelbox was 60$ + 20€ handling + taxes totally over 100 euros. With that price I could buy two "normal" games.

Well... The box is nice though I hope, but manual is THE reason why I bought it. Few days maybe and then I receive it.

BTW. It took about 5 minutes to pay extra taxes to custom all online - no phone call, no hasling. Their webpage service rocks! Five star for Finnish custom office!

Australia now charges a significant "fee" for sending packages to the US. This is to meet with US Homeland Security requirements. So far no other country I deal with has such export fees.

Steve

I don't think this is a fair comment. The Australian Government does not charge export duties and to do so would be a breach of the Australia – United States Free Trade Agreement. Indeed, exported goods are GST free so importers effectively get a 9% discount on the goods.

I note that the Australian Trade & Shipping website states:

Shipments to North America due to Homeland Security regulation attract an additional documentation charge.

However, this website is owned by Celestial Industries Pty Ltd (ACN 050405377). Celestial Industries Pty Ltd is a privately owned shipping company. It is not an instrument of government policy. If a private company chooses to levy a fee to cover the costs of doing business it is an issue between that company and its customers. As long as the fee is not in breach of any consumer protection laws it has nothing to do with the Australian Government or with Australia. To say Australia charges significant fees for shipments to America is inaccurate and, given our ideological commitment to the principles of the global economy, I find the statement to be insulting.

Well, I'm going to keep on insulting Australia, apparently, by pointing out that on the Australia Post website they also state:

"Articles over 500g and all ECI and EPI services will be subject to an additional $9 security surcharge and may face transit delays of up to 48 hours."

http://auspost.com.au/index.html

As far as I can tell, Australia Post *is* "an instrument of government policy". I could be wrong, but then again I could think Paul Hogan is a typical Australian :)

It is perfectly legal, I'm sure, for governments to impose "fees" on international commerce. The UK is charging people a "fee" to process Customs paperwork, even though the sender has supposedly paid for door to door service. Since these are charges that can not be avoided, and apparently aren't being assessed by the US Government, then they are effectively "taxes" (even though they can't call it that).

Steve

Australia Post used to be a Government body but these days it's a money-making venture with a growing reputation for not only price-gouging, but also very poor treatment of its delivery workforce, many of whom are contractors who are struggling to make a living.

Now, the Australian Productivity Commission, which is a 100% Government outfit, is looking into claims made by eBay and other companies that Australia Post is charging excessive fees for deliveries both within Australia and also overseas.

Here's a recent news item on what Australia Post is up to.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/06/08/are-we-being-gouged-on-delivery-as-well/

Well, I'm going to keep on insulting Australia, apparently, by pointing out that on the Australia Post website they also state:

"Articles over 500g and all ECI and EPI services will be subject to an additional $9 security surcharge and may face transit delays of up to 48 hours."

As far as I can tell, Australia Post *is* "an instrument of government policy". I could be wrong, but then again I could think Paul Hogan is a typical Australian :)

It is perfectly legal, I'm sure, for governments to impose "fees" on international commerce. The UK is charging people a "fee" to process Customs paperwork, even though the sender has supposedly paid for door to door service. Since these are charges that can not be avoided, and apparently aren't being assessed by the US Government, then they are effectively "taxes" (even though they can't call it that).

Steve

You forgot the other bit "This surcharge has been introduced solely to cover the costs of the revised security arrangements required by the United States, and Australia Post does not profit from the surcharge."

It is to cover US stuff not our stuff, so it is an additional cost of delivery it isn't a duty or fee or govt tax or anything like that.

It's like it costs more to send something to Afghanistan than the US simply because it costs more to get it there.

I know if I send something outside Auspost, say via DHL, there is no government fees associated with it at all, indeed I get a refund of GST.

Auspost is also not a government organisation. It was privatised some years ago.

Steve

As REVS and Magpie Oz point out, you cannot insult Australians by bagging Australia Post. It is not part of the Australian Government and is not subject to government control other than through specifically enacted legislation.

You are correct that (absent international treaties and free trade agreements) it is perfectly legal for a government to enact legislation to impose a fee or a duty on exported goods and arguably such a fee is a tax. However, Australia has no export duties. I am unfamiliar with the legislation as Customs and Excise is not my area of expertise. However, the Australian Government has a long standing commitment to free and open international trade and I note the following on page 78 of the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service's Customs Export Control Manual (found on this site):

Export Duty

There is no Export Duty on any goods exported from Australia.

Regarding Australian companies imposing a specific administration charge to cover the costs of complying with the US Homeland Security import regulations, such a charge is an entirely legitimate component of the price of an export under the cost-plus pricing methodology. Indeed, given exporters have to comply with government regulations at both ends it would seem odd if the administration costs of complying with such regulations is not factored into the cost of exporting the goods. Perhaps it is the case that Australian export companies are the only companies that itemise the expense. Regardless, if the US import regulations are unusually onerous I am fairly confident that all export companies (not just the Australian companies) set their export prices in such a way as to pass on the additional administration costs.

Australia Post used to be a Government body but these days it's a money-making venture with a growing reputation for not only price-gouging, but also very poor treatment of its delivery workforce, many of whom are contractors who are struggling to make a living.

This makes User38's misplaced national pride (i.e. me supposedly insulting the Australian people) even more absurd. I mean, now the argument apparently is "how dare you criticize the Australian people for allowing our government to take direct accountability for a critical service out of the people's hands and instead put it into the hands of a greedy, inefficient private entity which is doing the Australian people wrong".

You forgot the other bit "This surcharge has been introduced solely to cover the costs of the revised security arrangements required by the United States, and Australia Post does not profit from the surcharge."

It is to cover US stuff not our stuff, so it is an additional cost of delivery it isn't a duty or fee or govt tax or anything like that.

And yet when I have packages shipped to me from Germany, Canada, the UK, Austria, etc. I don't get hit with this sort of surcharge. Then, on top of this, you guys are telling me that Australian Post is being investigated for price gouging and shoddy practices. In my view this reinforces my initial reaction which is that this is a BS charge.

Are costs to ship to the US higher because of new security regulations on the US side? I don't doubt that. But charging a substantial flat fee, which can be an additional 50% on top of postage, seems to be the wrong way to do it. Instead postage should be increased proportionally. As you say, it already costs more to ship to Afghanistan, so just increase the postage rate to the US.

As REVS and Magpie Oz point out, you cannot insult Australians by bagging Australia Post. It is not part of the Australian Government and is not subject to government control other than through specifically enacted legislation.

Of course I can't insult Australians for the actions of Australian Post. Which is why I didn't do such a thing. If you want to get your national pride hackles up, that's your choice. But that's your baggage and not anything I said.

You are correct that (absent international treaties and free trade agreements) it is perfectly legal for a government to enact legislation to impose a fee or a duty on exported goods and arguably such a fee is a tax. However, Australia has no export duties.

I never said it did. I said the $9 surcharge smells like BS and now, thanks to the above posts, I'm more convinced than ever that it is a BS charge. The only thing I was wrong about was who was getting the money. Unlike in the UK where the money is going into the government's coffers, this money is going into the pockets of a private firm which is now carrying out what used to be the Australian government's responsibilities. It makes no difference to me either way... I feel I'm getting shafted and I think I have reason to feel that way.

Steve

Steve, I think this situation is very much like when a wife is physically abused by her husband and she calls the police, but when they arrive, she changes her mind and gets mad at the police for arresting her abusive husband.

It's the "I'm allowed to say anything about my guy, but you have no right to say anything." syndrome.

Steve, I think this situation is very much like when a wife is physically abused by her husband and she calls the police, but when they arrive, she changes her mind and gets mad at the police for arresting her abusive husband.

It's the "I'm allowed to say anything about my guy, but you have no right to say anything." syndrome.

Could be :D

Truth is I could never insult Australia, 'cuz I love the crazy buggers!

Steve