Time for a Tips And Tactics Forum?

"No, I'm not going to look in the CMSF forums."

Not even if they contained the information that you wanted? Where and in what format would you like information to be presented to you? Who do you think should be providing said information?

No, I don't want to sort through all the irrelevant (modern warfare, weapons, etc.) information in those forums. Don't take things so personal. A question was asked by the OP as to whether or not we would like to see a CMBN specific Tips & Tricks forum. I (and several others) answered affirmatively. Some (many?) of us don't want to wade through the modern warfare stuff in the CMSF forums. As for who should be posting useful information in the proposed CMBN Tips & Tricks forum...anyone who wants to obviously.

No, I don't want to sort through all the irrelevant (modern warfare, weapons, etc.) information in those forums. Don't take things so personal. A question was asked by the OP as to whether or not we would like to see a CMBN specific Tips & Tricks forum. I (and several others) answered affirmatively. Some (many?) of us don't want to wade through the modern warfare stuff in the CMSF forums. As for who should be posting useful information in the proposed CMBN Tips & Tricks forum...anyone who wants to obviously.

I also answered afirmatively. What do you think one should do in the meantime? Go in ignorance, demand that other people give up their time to answer questions or, quelle horreur, spend ones own time finding the information in a forum that contains other data that isn't relevent?

Doing a shoot and scoot in CMSF is no much diffeent in its mechanics to pulling off the same tactic in CMBN. If, as per GaJ, you can't stand to look at a screen shot showing you how because it has a modern tank as the exemplar you are free to wait until someone gets around to spending their valuable time posting a CMBN equivalent.

Good suggestion, but I'd prefer to just get going on a forum for the same.

Tell me Blackcat, why do you care so much whether this happens? You've made your only valid point 2 pages ago, which is some of the mechanics questions about cmbn can be answered in the cmsf forum. Now that you've validly made that point, what point are you still trying to make here? Is it that you think a CMBN specific ST forum isn't a valid consideration for BFC to create? Is it that you're still bowed up over Jade pissing in your cheerios?

My suggestion, since as far as I can tell you've got no dog in this hunt, is to push back and put away a couple pints, you'll no doubt feel better soon enough, and realize you've been arguing for two days over whether a tactics forum should be created FOR A GAME.

LOL

P.S. feel free to have the last word on this one from this point forward, my only purpose here was to raise the request for a CMBN ST forum

Maybe a compromise solution. If someone could start a blank forum and those with the knowledge could copy relevant material from the CMSF tips forum and leave the rest behind. Then new, appropriate, material can be added over time.

Late to the topic, don't understand the snarkiness.

Mord makes a suggestion that a Strategy and Tactics subforum be created for CMBN. A perfectly valid and good suggestion.

The counterpoint is made that the CMSF forum already has a lot of S&T info most of which is generally useful for CMBN players. No doubt true. If the point is intended purely helpfully, a good point as long as it is not intended to silence Mord's suggestion.

I for one think a dedicated CMBN S&T section is warranted, but until it can get its sea legs using the CMSF info is a useful alternative. One doesn't preclude the other.

Go ahead, use your knowledge of the game and its mechanics and start generating articles for the CMBN S & T forum. Someone has to do it, why not you?

One of the features of those forums I always found was that, over time, by far the best game specific tactical information was compiled through people answering specific questions. "I have x and y, this is the situation they're in and this is my objective. How would you go about it?" That kind of stuff. Sometimes it's somebody coming up with an idea and wanting to write about it, but that's far more rarely. There are people who enjoy that, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people who want to be helpful and can trip off an informed answer than knowledgeable people who want to think of, plan and write an essay on a particular topic.

In all the generations of tactical forums we've had over the years I learnt a bunch of stuff from those kinds of threads. Often from the same people as it happened, and I'd search those forums for posts from those users. I'm not going to massage egos but I'm delighted to see names I recognise that I haven't read posts from in a few years now.

There's some good info in the CMSF tactical forum that translates well, but most of it is about game and user interface mechanics. It's not really about cracking a particular tactical nut with WWII era equipment. And who would post those questions in there anyway when the lights above the door say "CMSF"?

One of the features of those forums I always found was that, over time, by far the best game specific tactical information was compiled through people answering specific questions. "I have x and y, this is the situation they're in and this is my objective. How would you go about it?" That kind of stuff. Sometimes it's somebody coming up with an idea and wanting to write about it, but that's far more rarely. There are people who enjoy that, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people who want to be helpful and can trip off an informed answer than knowledgeable people who want to think of, plan and write an essay on a particular topic.

In all the generations of tactical forums we've had over the years I learnt a bunch of stuff from those kinds of threads. Often from the same people as it happened, and I'd search those forums for posts from those users. I'm not going to massage egos but I'm delighted to see names I recognise that I haven't read posts from in a few years now.

There's some good info in the CMSF tactical forum that translates well, but most of it is about game and user interface mechanics. It's not really about cracking a particular tactical nut with WWII era equipment. And who would post those questions in there anyway when the lights above the door say "CMSF"?

Yup, I agree with every word and such limited knowledge that I have acquired I am more than happy to share. I have already started on a couple of articles for the S & T forum, assuming it gets off the ground.

What gets my goat is when people want answers to game mechanics stuff but are not prepared to look at the CMSF forum, where they can find the information they seek, because they didn't buy that game.

Yup, I agree with every word and such limited knowledge that I have acquired I am more than happy to share. I have already started on a couple of articles for the S & T forum, assuming it gets off the ground.

What gets my goat is when people want answers to game mechanics stuff but are not prepared to look at the CMSF forum, where they can find the information they seek, because they didn't buy that game.

I'm prepared to look wherever I can find answers, but for me it's a matter of efficiency. Why wade through a forum that pertains to modern warfare to discover tips and tactics that apply to WW II warfare? If the answer is that it takes a lot of work, effort and money to come up with a new sub-forum, then ok. As far as I know, that isn't the case, but maybe I'm wrong. Game mechanics wouldn't be the only thing in a tips and tactics forum.

All seems pretty meta.

OK, I'll start. Based on a recenting QB outing, I'll pass along this word of advice.

Do not stand under 155mm artillery fire. You will lose.

Flip side - learn to use the big div arty FOs, and to cut their response time by a third to half using a dedicated FO team. They smash stuff all day long. The main trick is to first send small scout teams to locations with likely good LOS, to check that you can see stuff before sending the FO. And dial down the infantry vs. infantry contact while waiting for your bigger friends to do the job.

I would like to see us get one relatively soon. A lot of the topics are mechanics and historical questions.

While I have and will probably continue to recommend the SF forums to CMx1 and new players, imho the tactics discussions will get lost. Tactics and Tip threads really travel the learning curve of both CM engines....and the learning curve is quite steep.

If you don't want to read the SF threads, no one can force you to. But there is a ton of good info there, from folks who have years of experience in the game. Just off the top of my head:

Most questions new players would have that I can think of are all answered.

Mechanics such as how to string orders together, in depth break down of how Artillery works, detailed discussions with valuable input from Steve on spotting and c2 and how they link together are all covered. None of those have anything to do with WW2 vs Modern era warfare, and while there may be references to Abrams, Bradley's and Javs, they are minimal.

Even tactics questions like effective use of smoke to assault enemy positions, the use of suppress + maneuver, recon strategy, effective clearing techniques all are a mess with modern force references, but all can be applied to Normandy.

There are a couple of things here.

First, a number of posters, myself included, have gone and looked at the CMSF T&T forum and reported that we didn't find readily useful material there. I think that both _timing_ AND _context_ play a part in this. The context is that it's hard to relate to tactical questions that are phrased in terms of a milieu that you don't understand. My example of the Javelin was very concrete. I'd have to spend time learning what this thing is before I can understand advice about it. The _timing_ is that right now there are lots of us who are new to the CMx2 engine, and we will be finding very similar questions and issues. So a new forum with populated with people going through the same experience would have far more value than wading through an immense one that is out of timing.

Second: there is a good reason why many people did not buy CMSF and that same reason is a reason why they don't want to spend time in a CMSF forum. Distaste. Is that so hard to undestand? Is it hard to accept? Because it's true...

Give us WWII fiddy duddies our nice clean WWII T&T forum :D

GaJ