What do you do when you find a Minefield?

For the moment I just run through it... Losing about 10-15% of my soliders doing so. But Usually it's a hard strike to the ennemy as my platoons are in solid position to flank the main force.

But I saw pionner Mark mInes stuff

No idea how to use it or something.

Also can I use a suicide grunt pack to run through a certain path and make all the other go through it?

I did my military training in the mid-1970s (non-NATO) and the minefield crossing tactics taught then included a table that showed the expected % losses based on minefield density, depth and the distance between soldiers.

IIRC, the recommended troop spacing resulted in 5%-10% losses when crossing a standard minefield.

CMSF was utterly unforgiving with minefields. I understand in CM:BN a slow-crawl will increase you chance of spotting the mine before exploding one and increase your chance of getting to the other side alive. I don't know by how much, I never completely tested it out, myself.

I did discover that you can run a Stuart or even an M8 through a personel minefield and suffer only track and tire damage. I didn't try to run the grunts over the same minefield afterwards to see if the mines were cleared. I could actually hear the anti personel "pop" at the tanks and armoured cars drove over them.

Had a nightmare in one of the campaign missions last night with a minefield. Had a whole platoon with staggered orders set to move quick through what turned out to be a minefield. Of course, it was in wego so I had to watch for a minute as each squad lined up and ran through it with disastrous results. Was so painful to watch.

Did you have pioneers/engineers?

These guys give you a better chance of spotting minefields but more importantly they can "Mark" the minefield. The mark minefield command is a little difficult because it takes time. To use it move the engineer next to the mined area and then the "mark mines" command becomes available. You then command them onto the minefield with that command. Marking the mines can take time (minutes), success is indicated when the "red" mine sign changes to an "off-white" sign (that's from a distance, haven't looked closely at the signs).

It is often worth doing though because almost certainly where there is one mine tile there is more so unless the mined area is under fire you can use this method to make a safe way through.

Limited experience under CMBN and my marked areas were under fire so I not sure if it makes it close to 100% safe or not (playing in RT so not sure if fire or mines was killing my guys).

The below is also from the manual.

"Troops moving through minefields have some ability to notice the mines without exploding them. This is much more likely when:

- The soldiers are crawling or walking (and to a lesser extent, “hunting”)

- The soldiers are engineers

- The soldiers are experienced"

CMSF was utterly unforgiving with minefields. I understand in CM:BN a slow-crawl will increase you chance of spotting the mine before exploding one and increase your chance of getting to the other side alive. I don't know by how much, I never completely tested it out, myself.

This is true. I don't know if CMSF mines are much nastier or it was a product of your guys being grouped together to tightly (which may have been tweaked in CMBN). It would wreck a sqd in CMSF.

BlackAdder Goes forth

Lt George: "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do ?"

Edmund Blackadder: "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."

I use the Mark Mines takes time to do, sign will lighten and then go green. If you run a tank over it you will here the snap, crackle and pop just dont have any troops close by when you do it.

If you plan to move through that area then yes. You can move through it "safely"* after it is marked. The real thing is more often than not minefields stretch into belts so you can't usually just go around. If it is possible you should take less casualties from mines by marking a mine field than by trying to around a known one. But this does depend and whatever else is happening.

* Not sure if the chance of getting mined is gone entirely but pretty safe.

If you plan to move through that area then yes. You can move through it "safely"* after it is marked. The real thing is more often than not minefields stretch into belts so you can't usually just go around. If it is possible you should take less casualties from mines by marking a mine field than by trying to around a known one. But this does depend and whatever else is happening.

* Not sure if the chance of getting mined is gone entirely but pretty safe.

I'm sure I read somewhere that moving slowly is needed to follow a 'Marked Mines' corridor with the most safety. I guess if you're in a hurry, you might stumble on/not make the turn to avoid a mine, even though your friendly Engineers have pointed it out to you.