Buildings in Normandy

Hi all you modders. Anyone working on the buildings yet?

I think the buildings look too good. Too pristine and neat. I have been to Normandy many times and it just does not look this way. Houses in Normandy look 'old' and weathered. In the villages you don't see much brickwork, mostly quarried stones (grayish, yellowish) or plastered walls (with cracks in the plaster and such). It gives the villages a uniform look.

So buildings could use a more realistic look IMHO. The church building in CMBN is more like the real thing. Only the bell tower looks nothing like the towers I have seen. Towers are usually much higher.

I have also not seen anything in CMBN resembling the 'manoirs' (manor houses). Normandy is dotted with them, these grand houses sometimes almost looking like small castles.

What are your opinions on these matters? What do you think of the buildings in CMBN?

Yes, of course the houses you´ve seen look old and weathered. They are old NOW, but back in 1944 they were all brand new. ;-)

No, actually I´ve been thinking along the same lines. But as I don´t have any idea how buildings in Normandy really look, I wouldn´t know how to mod them.

But I´m looking forward to downloading the mods when someone more knowledgable in Norman achitechture does.

I think they've done the best effort on building models so far with Normandy. However, I just wish they werent so perfect 3d shapes and so cleaned textured. I too like the look of the weathered stone Church, maybe we can see some more buildings with that old stone look.

Yes the shapes are a bit too perfect :-) I don't think much can be done about that though.

I do not know how to use the modding tools in the game, so forgive me for my ignorance. Can the buildings already in the game be weathered?

ps actually, is there a tutorial anywhere that shows you how to use the modding toosl and how to mod??

So independent buildings are pretty accurate

Others ones are most North France architectural perfect for NL :)

Can do Arnhem without troubles :)

The independent buildings are indeed better than the modular buildings. The detached houses look a bit like houses in Normandy, but the modular buildings do not. More like Northern France, I agree.

I don't think they look particularly Dutch though. Dutch houses in 1944 are mostly evenly shaped bricks (reddish/brownish) and red/orange clay tiled roofs. Dutch Churches also look quite differently.

It is quite hard to lay out realistic built up areas, it is impossible to recreate the French (and Dutch for that matter) villages and towns in CMBN. Everything is too straight and evenly spaced. Can't be helped I'm afraid, engine limitatations. But what an engine :-)

After watching countless documentaries on the era, it seems that the buildings were mostly NOT new but many had been around for hundreds of years - stone etc. Plus they would have had damage from aerial bombardment at the very least. The only ones that would be in good condition would have been still civilian occupied.

Just like the original CM1 releases we have to wait for modders to make everything in the game more realistic and "gritty." Vehicles would have been beat up after a few days of combat, uniforms soiled and torn. So, currently everything looks right out of Disneyland's version of WW2. But, all that can be changed as we saw in CM1.

...so cleaned textured

Point to one clean-textured building in the game. Besides that one white stone modular facade that was made specifically to be clean. All the others there's water damage, stucco falling off, dust, cracked windows, chipped weathered trim, repainted doors. Any dirtier and it would look like a Disney theme park.

facade.jpg

facade2.jpg

Hi all you modders. Anyone working on the buildings yet?

I agree, buildings could use some improvement. I've made several building mods for CMx1, and I know from experience you need to sink a LOT of time in these babies to produce really detailed work. So much that I fully understand the 'generic-ness' of the stock buildings. BFC just didn't have the time to spend a week on every single building...

I thought about modding them myself, but the task is just too daunting.