Anyeone working on terrain mods?

First of all - thank you all for the kind and encouraging comments.

I'm sorry that I haven't had time to reply to each comment individually but I've been working on this mod all night and all of today (still haven't got any sleep yet - determined to get it uploaded before I crash).

Okay - preparing it for upload now (removing unused files to reduce the size of the upload/download etc.)

It should be up soon - I'll post here when it's done. :)

PS anybody who downloads this - consider yourself a beta tester - this mod was done in a hurry and hasn't had much in the way of testing - there could be some rough edges in there... ;)

No sleeping till this baby is delivered and it's arse has been slapped;-P

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks again for creating Flesh, I would use the words "converts the terrain into a much more natural, and realistic earth tone palette" in your write up description of this. From what I seen so far without playing it this is how I would describe it. The green grass looks nice in comparisons with some of the duller base tiles. The greens are fresh, but not too saturated. I'll definitely beta test it, and give you my straightest critique of it from an artists eye, but I think your color choices seem good from the shots I saw. The colors seem more as from a photograph. Add a grid version to accompany it down the line, and think you have yourself an extremely popular mod. What this addresses is some of my first impressions of the game, which was that the colors for the landscape did not look very natural IMO.

"Houston, we have a problem..." - my login for CMMODS will only let me into the CMSF section of the site - as this is not a CMSF mod there's not much point in uploading it to the CMSF section. :(

However, I have a backup plan - I've got a premium Fileserve account, so I can upload it there. The upload is cranking away in the background - my broadband upload speed is pretty slow - it's gonna take about 40 minutes or so.

FYI the file is a RAR archive that was created with maximum compression and I added a recovery record - if you end up with a corrupt download for any reason you should be able to repair the file with WinRAR or any other decent archiver. Also, the size of the file is roughly 75 MB.

I'll post here when the upload is done with the download link.

"Houston, we have a problem..." - my login for CMMODS will only let me into the CMSF section of the site - as this is not a CMSF mod there's not much point in uploading it to the CMSF section. :(

However, I have a backup plan - I've got a premium Fileserve account, so I can upload it there. The upload is cranking away in the background - my broadband upload speed is pretty slow - it's gonna take about 40 minutes or so.

FYI the file is a RAR archive that was created with maximum compression and I added a recovery record - if you end up with a corrupt download for any reason you should be able to repair the file with WinRAR or any other decent archiver. Also, the size of the file is roughly 75 MB.

the anticipation is killing me ;-)

Will you upload it to the repository as well?

Thanks for the up close pics...great work, man. I was hoping we'd have some terrain mods steered in this direction...more subdued tones, just to see what it looks like...and I gotta say very nice! Can't wait to try it out.

Mord.

Okay folks, the upload to Fileserve is done.

Here's the link:

File name: Flesh_Subdued_Terrain.rar File size: 75.64 MB

BTW if you don't have a premium Fileserve account you'll have to complete a "captcha" to download the file - just like you have to do on some sites to post a comment on an article (to stop comment spam bots).

Anyway, enjoy and let me know how it works out for you etc. - I gotta go get some sleep now.

PS I'll upload this mod to the repository tomorrow.

Thanks for the up close pics...great work, man. I was hoping we'd have some terrain mods steered in this direction...more subdued tones, just to see what it looks like...and I gotta say very nice! Can't wait to try it out.

Mord.

Thanks!!! That means a lot to me as I've enjoyed lots of your mods. :)

Okay folks, the upload to Fileserve is done.

Here's the link:

File name: Flesh_Subdued_Terrain.rar File size: 75.64 MB

BTW if you don't have a premium Fileserve account you'll have to complete a "captcha" to download the file - just like you have to do on some sites to post a comment on an article (to stop comment spam bots).

Anyway, enjoy and let me know how it works out for you etc. - I gotta go get some sleep now.

PS I'll upload this mod to the repository tomorrow.

It's alive!!!!

cheers now get your head down

Enjoy - it was your nagging that got it released tonight - everybody else can thank you for being so persistent... ;)

Anyway, hope you like it - if not, let me know and I'll sort it out. :)

I'm a nagger alright ;) really appreciate your hard work I'm sure it will be spot on.

ps i bet they don't!!!!

Thanks!!! That means a lot to me as I've enjoyed lots of your mods. :)

You are welcome. Glad you dug my stuff.

I just checked it out and like what I saw...the only criticism I'd throw out there is I would like to see the rez put back to normal on the underlying grass but with your desat applied. The only reason is that it's fine until you get to Bocage and then the earth mounds just look too blotchy and clay like...other than that I really like the overall color effect.

Anyway get some sleep, I know what it's like to pull one of those marathons sessions! You earned it!

Mord.

I know it's far from obvious, and might be hard to understand why I did that, BUT:

CMSFMODS is a different site to CMMODS. It just is.

So you need to register with CMMODS as well.

If I had my time again I might have been able to avoid this, I wish I had, but ... that's how it is.

Luckily it should be "as simple as that": register with CMMODS and you'll be able to use it :)

GaJ

Just downloaded this mod. It really is excellent! Thanks for doing it Flesh.

Just one thing, is it possible to make the bright green background (the layer that the battlefield sits on) look more in keeping with the new de-saturated terrain?

Cheers

I have been playing it, and it definitly is easier on the eyes, and an improvement over the the original colors which are just too strong. Some colors looked a little too dead IMO, so I think you still have room to punch up the colors a little if you want without overpowering. To my taste I prefer the Syrope terrain which can be used from CMSF which uses more greens, and less yellows which suites my eye most. There are terrains that I like best from Flesh's mod, and are not part of Syrope, and will probably combine it with the Syrope terrain to get a mix of both for a customize mod for myself. The plow fields will be one. His does not vibrate like the stock ones do on my machine. That is the great thing about modding as it offers so many options to the individual preference while maintaining freedom of choice for everyone. Overall nice job Flesh, and thanks for your time, and effort in making and sharing this with the community..

@ Flesh

Great job !

@ Vinnart

What files do you use from Syrope terrain ?

I use all of them, but will be adding a few of Flesh's for a custom mod for my own preferences that has its own unique look. The green ground in Syrope is good. Not too saturated, and a bit cooler tones of green which are traditionaly more pleasing to the eye. I like Flesh's, but prefer a bit more green color ground for my own taste. It is all about options.

If Syrope I recommend the alternate MUD terrain. it stand out much better with more grayed grren/blue tones, and you won't miss it as much for a possible bog.

Deffo improvement for me, my eyes don't seem to strain so much with this..anyone else had any eye strain problems with the too bright visuals.

Yes, too much saturation changes the kelvin temp too much. 6500k is ideal for least eye strain from my experience, and research.

I use all of them, but will be adding a few of Flesh's for a custom mod for my own preferences that has its own unique look. The green ground in Syrope is good. Not too saturated, and a bit cooler tones of green which are traditionaly more pleasing to the eye. I like Flesh's, but prefer a bit more green color ground for my own taste. It is all about options.

If Syrope I recommend the alternate MUD terrain. it stand out much better with more grayed grren/blue tones, and you won't miss it as much for a possible bog.

Chuck up a screen shot Vinnart, lets take a gander at your mix n match terrain. :-)