CMBN Frame Rates/Performance

Edit:- Title should read 'CMBN Demo Frame Rates/Performance'

Really enjoyed playing through the tutorial (got my butt kicked!)

My rig is as follows:-

Q9550@3.8

Nvidia GTX480

4GB ram

Windows 7 64 bit

I'm running with details on high at 1680x1050

Should I be getting as low as 12-14fps during the tutorial? My graphics card is hardly getting warm even though I have 'prefer maximum performance' set in Nvidia CP. Although I would think CMBN is more reliant on CPU power I'm a little surprised that it has brought my system to its knees!

Any thoughts/ideas/advice appreciated.

Pete.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's try this angle. Please tell me what system I would need to run the game with all in game settings max at 1920x1200 with 8xAF 2xAA Vysnc on and keep fps 30 or higher, preferably 60 fps? I'd bail on the AA and Vsync if I had to because in reality in-game those don't make that big of a difference for me, as far as FPS go.

Because I have:

Q9650 @3.6Ghz

EVGA 580 gtx SSC (270.61 drivers - latest)

4GB DDR2

Vista64

...and I'm getting into the teens at time during playback with:

no AA, 8x AF, no Vsync, Best models, Improved LOD, High Priority.

Shadows seem to be the biggest killer often taking over 20fps by turning them on.

Edit:- Title should read 'CMBN Demo Frame Rates/Performance'

Really enjoyed playing through the tutorial (got my butt kicked!)

My rig is as follows:-

Q9550@3.8

Nvidia GTX480

4GB ram

Windows 7 64 bit

I'm running with details on high at 1680x1050

Should I be getting as low as 12-14fps during the tutorial? My graphics card is hardly getting warm even though I have 'prefer maximum performance' set in Nvidia CP. Although I would think CMBN is more reliant on CPU power I'm a little surprised that it has brought my system to its knees!

Any thoughts/ideas/advice appreciated.

Pete.

how do you get 1920x1080? thast what my display is running at. can i get that ingame?

1920x1200 is my default desktop so it goes to that by default in-game. You can change your res. in one the config files in the game folder.

CHANGING GAME RESOLUTION:

By default, the first time the game is launched, the games internal resolution and refresh rate are set to whatever your desktop display is currently set to. We have added two ways to make adjustments to this settings.

From inside the game, go to the Main Menu, then select the Options panel. From there you can select the game to run at the following resolutions:

Desktop = (the game will run at whatever resolution your desktop is set to)

1024x768

1152x864

1280x960

If you want to run the game in a resolution and refresh rate not listed, you can manually configure these settings by editing the "display size.txt" file located in your game directory. Simply change the numbers that you see there with the width (in pixels) and height (in pixels) and refresh rate (in Hertz) you wish to run the game.

Example: For 1440x900 at 75Hz refresh rate, you would delete the numbers in that file and replace with "1440 900 75" (without quotes).

If you put in all zeroes example: 0 0 0, the game will revert to using your desktop resolution and refresh rate.

Exercise caution and only use a resolution and refresh rate supported by your monitor as damage to your monitor or display adaptor could occur, especially if you use too high a setting.

Unfortunately there are a LOT of factors that determine what framerates people get. We move a lot of data around and if you have a slower subsystem somewhere, then it can throttle down the speed because your system can only go as fast as its slowest component. Having at least 4GB of RAM (and not choked up with other applications) and a 512MB video card is probably the most important things to have for optimal, consistent speed. Processor is not so important.

We personally don't necessarily consider 20 fps range "sluggish" for our type of game for some systems under some conditions. The original CMBO would often be lower than that, for example, even in the best of times when the game was first released. We would, of course, like to see 30+ across the board everywhere all the time. So we will keep looking for ways to reduce bottlenecks.

Steve

I'm running the demo and at the closest groundlevel view, I'm seeing a constant flickering over surface of the soldier models (only the troops, not vehicles or terrain or objects). It's as if they are slightly radiocative or have electricity running through them. Maybe it's something funny with the shadows effects?

I'm playing with my graphics options to see if turning them down or turning off antialiasing might affect this -- but is anyone else experiencing this?

Got 22-35 frames depending on what direction I'm looking in-game, Training mission - The Road to Berlin.

Graphic settings I have both set to Balanced, AA off, but if your asking me I'd rather take with this rig here below Maxed out settings and same frame rates as I'm having now. Wondering, where's the choke point of my rig then..

Windows 7, 64-bit, Service Pack 1 installed

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black edition processor

8Gb RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 (Crossfire)

Astrocat is correct, shadows on seem to be quite a performance hit. I'm seeing 10-20fps improvement with shadows off. I'm getting 20-60fps with 'best settings' and AA on now so much improved. :)

I've managed to beat the training scenario twice now on veteran difficulty so will ramp up the difficulty now ;)

Keep in mind FRAPS slows the game down somewhat. I use Teamspeak 2 overlay personally, I think it slows down the game far less...

I seem to be getting better performance in this than CMSF, which is strange considering there's more foliage.

I'm wondering though... since it doesn't take multi-core CPUs into account, what would be the most effective thing to upgrade to get better performance? As it is I usually hover between 25-40 FPS. I'd like to consistently have 40+ FPS at least...

I seem to be getting better performance in this than CMSF, which is strange considering there's more foliage.

But they made tree rendering much more efficient in CM:BN (by using a simpler representation, that still looks very good, at least in moderate woods)

A CMSF tree was a more complex 3D object.

Well good to know it wasn't all in my head then.

Still, anyone got suggestions on boosting performance? I'd really like to never drop below 40 FPS if possible.

AFAIK ,CMBN is cpu bound.

So changing your processor to sumthing faster might help ( not very astonishing ). Or you could overclock your current system. Or turn down the graphical goodness ...