Good notebook to play CM:BN on

Hey guys,

although my actual computer should be good enough to play CM:BN, I'm thinking about buying myself a notebook that's good enough for running the game on medium - good settings (just for the sake of playing comfortable on the couch :P).

I have to say that I'm really not what you could call experienced in terms of computer technology so I really need your help.

After a bit of research I have found that one: http://www.notebooklieferant.com/packard-bell-easynote-ts11hr-122gege.html

The website is in german but it shouldn't be a problem to figure the specs of the machine ;)

If you have any suggestions for another notebook, go ahead :)

Btw. it shouldn't be too expensive, just good enough for running CM with average or above average graphics.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the release :cool:

Greetings, Arrad

I purchased a similar ASUS G73 a few months ago. Plays CM:SF pretty well and all other games with high or better graphic options set (N:TW, Civ5). Mine doesn't have quite the specs of Mr Spkr's. I only have 6GB RAM, a 1.73Ghz Core i7 and an ATI 5850(?) w/ 1GB dedicated RAM. Had some BIOS problems initially that caused random reboots that I got sorted from some website that I don't have the link to right now.

I'd recommend it.

Holy crap! I agree with Mr Spkr again! :eek:

... I'm thinking about buying myself a notebook that's good enough for running the game on medium - good settings (just for the sake of playing comfortable on the couch :P).

Guess how tickled I was once I discovered that a 25' HDMI cable was just long enough to run from my brand new, high end, CMBN ready desktop to my (semi)big screen tv :D

I'd been playing around with CMSF on my laptop through the TV; then my desktop arrived! I couldn't believe the difference between the laptop on medium settings and the desktop on full.

CMBN will be sweet!!! :cool:

MSI and ASUS make very good notebooks for gaming.

Although many notebooks are capable of supporting 1920x1080 externally, their built in display is only 1366x768 (which is adequate, but no thrill).

My son's MSI GX640 has a built in 15.4" - 1680x1050 display on a Radeon 5850. Very sweet and can play Crysis. And that's a year old model . . . Myself, I have an ASUS M50VM-A1, which I hope will be up to the task.

Do your research and make sure that the CPU frequency is as fast as you can get. CMBN doesn't support multiple cores.

Considering upgrading the laptop as well. Am in the same boat as others in that a desktop just ties me too much to the desk I sit at all day for work (I telecommute). Not particularly appealing.

Have been looking at this

http://www.amazon.com/NH570-Intel-Core-620M-Serial/dp/B003TTM69M/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1304382319&sr=1-11

Looks to be a good deal but not being a PC guru I figure there is probably something I am missing here that would impact preformance that isn't just an issue of speed or RAM.

The manufacturer's site for that Fujitsu says "Intel® HD Graphics onboard or optional NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M 1GB dedicated graphics". You really want that dedicated graphics option for any type of gaming. Since the Amazon page doesn't mention it, they're almost certainly not including it...

The manufacturer's site for that Fujitsu says "Intel® HD Graphics onboard or optional NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M 1GB dedicated graphics". You really want that dedicated graphics option for any type of gaming. Since the Amazon page doesn't mention it, they're almost certainly not including it...

Thanks PondScum (man that just doesn't sound right) appreciate the response. Time to go shopping again or consider actually building my own and going with a desktop.

Hi.

I will get a new lap top ThinkPad T520 Intel Core i7-2620M-2.7GHz 4GB 500GB 15.6inch (1600x900) blablabla Windows 7 Pro 64

I looked up the model and it says that for Graphics it will have an integrated Controller

Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory.

I was thinking that I would have preferred a separate graphic card, but when reading reviews of this controller it seems to do a got job. Has anyone experience with these integrated controllers and will it do the job for CM/N?

Can't be moving my very heavy duty desktop to the LR. Already put me in the hospital when I tried getting it out of the box. :(

Erwin... Believe me, I understand. Shipping weight on mine was 70#; UPS guy was not happy ;)

Hey Guys,

okay I really want to buy my new notebook on friday and right now I have three different ones in my closer view.

The first one is the one I mentioned in my first post.

Second one: http://www.amazon.de/Packard-Bell-EasyNote-LS11HR-195GE-Notebook/dp/B004OR10PY

Thrid one: http://www.packardbell.de/pb/de/DE/content/model/LX.BS002.002

From what I understand, all should be capable of playing CM:BN, but which one do you think fits the task best?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Arrad

I will get a new lap top ThinkPad T520 Intel Core i7-2620M-2.7GHz 4GB 500GB 15.6inch (1600x900) blablabla Windows 7 Pro 64

I looked up the model and it says that for Graphics it will have an integrated Controller

Intel HD Graphics 3000 Dynamic Video Memory.

I was thinking that I would have preferred a separate graphic card, but when reading reviews of this controller it seems to do a got job. Has anyone experience with these integrated controllers and will it do the job for CM/N?

I've been relying on http://www.notebookcheck.net to compare notebook components. Their page on the Intel HD Graphics 3000 is here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-3000.37948.0.html. Summary: "Our performance tests with the high clocked mainstream version of the HD Graphics 3000 in quad-core processors showed a performance level on par with the current entry level generations from NVIDIA (e.g. GeForce 310M) and AMD (HD 5450)". They also have detailed graphs at the end of the page, and comparisons with other controllers.

Yeah, the Intel integrated graphics chipsets are really designed with economy and power efficiency as their major goals. Performance is not their strong point. I wouldn't buy a laptop with one just to play CM:SF. For $50 more you could probably double your frame rate by buying a laptop with a dedicated graphics chipset.

Arrad, I'd say you've listed those notebooks in the order of their performance. There's not much to choose between the raw performance of their graphics cards (GeForce GT540 vs. Radeon HD 6650), but the first two notebooks have 2 GB of video RAM while the third only has 1 GB. The Core i7 processors in the first two notebooks have a definite speed advantage over the Core i5 in the third notebook. 6 GB of RAM (first and third notebooks) vs. 4 GB shouldn't make a huge difference to CM:SF, but more is always nicer.

(On a side note, it's interesting that Packard Bell is still apparently a successful brand in Germany. In the US it was shut down a long time ago, because it became so notorious for making cheap and shoddy computers that eventually the brand name became seriously tainted)

Depends on your funds, what kind of gaming over all you would like to do.

I replaced my desktop with a Sager 8150 so I could have the power, yet portability at the same time.

15.6” Full HD 16:9 Wide screen (1920x1080) LED-Backlit Display with Super Clear Glare Type screen

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 485M 256bit w/2.0GB GDDR5

Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM (2.2~3.3GHz, 45W) w/6M L3 Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads

IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

8GB (2x4GB SODIMMS) DDR3/1333 Dual Channel Memory

120GB Intel SSD

6x Blu-Ray Reader/8x Super Multi Combo Drive

7-in-1 Memory Card Reader (All versions of MS + SD/MMC)

Built-in Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 Wireless Card

8 Cell Smart Lithium-Ion Battery 76.96Wh

Full Range 180W Auto Switching AC Adapter

Arrad, I'd go with your first choice. Good power, good graphics, not a lot to go wrong on. And, I like the nVidia processor.

Like the others, I would stay away from an Intel graphics chip -- they are not deisgned for serious gaming.

Steve

Yes, if possible get a laptop with a dedicated graphics chip and memory. I have a two year old HP 9494NR with 20" screen, 512 MB Nvidia 8800M graphics, and a dual core processor. It's handling just about everything I can throw at it. Just be sure your laptop stays cool. Mine's so damn big I can't lug it around much but it is big enough to cool itself very well. HP's got some new laptops just announced that include Sandy Bridge chips and I saw a 17" mentioned for about $800 or so, or almost half of what I paid for mine. They just get better, cheaper and faster.