CM:BN Manual, Print Version v1.00 - ERRATA LIST

I was flipping through the online one, and the only thing that caught my eye as not right was the naming of the US Army E-7 as "Technical Sgt.” I may be wrong if a SFC (sergeant first class) was called that then, and am rather sure that Technical Sgt’s were designated with a “T” under the chevrons.

The ammo designation for the MG34 and MG42 show the cartridge as being 7.92x57mm IS, which is not correct. Like the K98 and G43, the correct designation for its cartridge is 8x57mm IS. The 7.92 designation was not used by the Germans.

Over the years I have noticed two clear things.

Group A that defends Battlefront without question, even after the mess that was version 1.00 of Shock Force. I stayed with it and the game did in fact get fixed over time. Most companies would have just called it a day.

Group B that attacks Battlefront because they cannot do anything right.

I am neither.

I don't really care how many book reports, books, etc anyone on these forums can tear up or not.

The company BF clearly likes to point out over and over again, they do not do business in the same manor as the next guy, nor do they follow the industry standards of screwing the customer over again and again.

Because of this, they have a good fan base that eagerly looks forward to their products and or expansions. I am one of those fans.

BF also stands behind their games with updates in ways no company does.

Do I expect the manual to be perfect? No.

Will the manual be perfect? No.

However, in it's current condition it should not be released for printing.

Duly noted.

A) I was simply curious as to whether you have ever assembled/proofed anything like the manual in question or not.

B) As a smaller publisher of a war game niche, there will be some minor flaws like this. They do not have the resources to send it off for professional review.

C) All of this is moot, as its already printed.

D) If it completely ruins the game for you, then I suggest you wait several months until the 2nd printing, while the rest of us are having a blast playing CM:BN.

Have a great day.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that it has already been printed. (I would base this understanding on Martin's comment but I don't have a good track record of understanding his comments :) )

So, note to BF, you have a very eager pool of proof readers here for your next manual release.

D) If it completely ruins the game for you, then I suggest you wait several months until the 2nd printing, while the rest of us are having a blast playing CM:BN.

Have a great day.

The only printed copies are for pre-orders.... Unless I am mistaken?

Part of the Tin Box was setup to hold the printed book.

For me the box and the printed book was incentive to pre-order and I am disappointed that in just a few hours of review, so many errors have been pointed out.

Hopefully this can be turned into a learning lesson that you have an entire group that is willing to make the manual correct from the get go, cost = nothing.

Also, I never said it would ruin my experience of the game nor the company, my expatiations of Battlefront are higher because they deliver a quality product.

As you have said, its a moot point because they have already been printed.

Is a few minor errors really such a problem? All i care about at the moment is getting my mits on the game.

Agreed.

I'm 20+ years a typographer and can pick up almost any single printed piece and find errors. And I married an copy editor, to boot. My first edition Harry Potters bought wherever I was living/working at the time (US, Canada, UK)? Errors. First edition The Hobbit my dad owns? Two spelling errors I've seen. There are a handful of slips in every printed hardcover I own ... OK, perhaps not the last OED, but I haven't read the whole thing yet word for word.

A few errors were bound to slip through, so what? Nothing that breaks the game or so dramatically misinforms that the game is unplayable. We're all killin' time until the game ships, then to hell with the manual, game on! :D

Agreed.

I'm 20+ years a typographer and can pick up almost any single printed piece and find errors. And I married an copy editor, to boot. My first edition Harry Potters bought wherever I was living/working at the time (US, Canada, UK)? Errors. First edition The Hobbit my dad owns? Two spelling errors I've seen. There are a handful of slips in every printed hardcover I own ... OK, perhaps not the last OED, but I haven't read the whole thing yet word for word.

A few errors were bound to slip through, so what? Nothing that breaks the game or so dramatically misinforms that the game is unplayable. We're all killin' time until the game ships, then to hell with the manual, game on! :D

Yeh just get the game out chop chop BFC

Page 125 ... fourth paragraph ... second sentence ...

"There are four ways to change the elevation of a tile tile — ..."

"Tile" is duplicated.

Page 129 ... second to last paragraph ...

"To "purchase" a unit doubleclick on it or, alternatively, single-click to highlight ..."

Inconsistent use of "doubleclick" and "single-click" Suggest using "double-click" with a hyphen for consistency. (I've found the words "doubleclick" and "single-click" now in a number of places. One or the other need to change to match the other, I'd prefer the hyphenated version, speaking for myself, so a FIND ALL is needed during the next round of editing.)

Page 52 ... last word ...

"Autmatic" misspelled ... should be "Automatic"

Page 53 ... third last paragraph ... second sentence

".Here, we will describe the basic functions ..." Needs to have space in front of the sentence between the period and the capital "H".

Page 54 ... Equipment Quality Dropdown menu section ... last sentence

"To finetune the selection after your purchase, read the next section "Toolbar"" ... "Finetune" needs to be two words "fine tune", the sentence is lacking a period, and the next section isn't "Toolbar" so perhaps the sentence should end "... read the upcoming section "Selected Formation/Unit Toolbar"."

Available Troops Selection section ... third line ...

"inlcuding" is misspelled ...should be "including"

Activate Troops section ... second sentence ...

As above, perhaps "finetune" should be fine tune"

Basic Screen Layout pg 62.

It does not explain what it is right compass above. I have asked this in other posts, and they told me that uses for orientation in the map and know how much time is left. Is this so? If this information appears in another part of the manual, I apologize. It seemed strange that the manual say nothing about the compass in this part of manual.I hope this helps.

People's forum: make me not voodoo for these comments!

Greetings!