Sound Contacts

So just to clarify, if i have a platoon of men on one side of a large wall or a group of buildings with no los to the other side, a Tiger tank could move up at fast speed while firing away from the platoon, that platoon will have no idea the tank is there due to no los and no sound contact.Correct?Seems a bit odd.

I can't say for sure, but I could almost swear there is something akin to a sound contact in CMx2. I get "?"s popping up on the other side of a building, for example, and I can't figure who could have LOS there. Or more like, I haven't noticed an occasion where a moving vehicle would have surprised me in a fashion where I go "WTF? How was there not a "?" marker there?" (I play Real-time though, so that screws my perception a bit)

I would love to know since I've never read anything definitive on this subject.

Yeah I just tested sound contacts [in CMSF] and they're most certainly not in: an infantry scout platoon had no idea about the entire republican guard armoured platoon rumbling down the road not more than 20m away. Not short either, I had my guys stretched along the base of the divider for about 500m and it was only when the tanks rounded the gap at the far end that my guys knew something was up.

Well, that is strange. I always thought of the "?"s that appear, say, on a street that I don't have LOS on as a sound contact. There's probably some really narrow keyhole somewhere that I missed. Do dust clouds or somesuch give a contact?

Well, that is strange. I always thought of the "?"s that appear, say, on a street that I don't have LOS on as a sound contact. There's probably some really narrow keyhole somewhere that I missed. Do dust clouds or somesuch give a contact?

That C2 information being fed to by the other units to that particular unit.

I mean in a situation where it appears that none of the men under my command should be able to directly observe the location. Like I said I play RT so I don't go down to ground level and check out whether no single soldier sees it, just that it immediately appears like that. This has given me an impression that sound contacts would be modeled, but if not, I'd love to see (hear) them in CMBN! :D

I thought sound contacts might had "look" goofy in CMSF, with all the modern high tech recon systems. But they will perfectly make sense in CM:BN. Imagine a bocage map, where you cant hear a tank that is moving 20-30m close to your infantry, on the other side of the tall fence. This will be another surprise like hit texts me thinks :)

Damn....I guess one can still hope it isn't in some earlier build (unlikely) or that the AI didn't react in this case (more likely.) :D

I guess I never noticed them missing due to the very open terrain as I never fancied urban fights. Would be really nice to have in the more confined terrain of CMBN, although I remember reading that infantry next to hedgerows can peek through it, so it's not disastrous.

I have to say this aura of mystery surrounding the topic is interesting...Steve's post didn't help my broken F5 key at all. :D