Creating QB Maps.

If I have understood correctly, all of the supplied QB maps have an in-built AI for both attack and defence.

I am trying to assess the impact of that on the creation of user-made QB maps - assuming that that can be done.

Will the erstwhile mapmaker have to create the AI for each map before it can be included in the QB library or is there an AI template, as such, which is automatically added to maps in the QB folder? If it is the former, then players who want to play solo QBs will have to rely on maps produced by other mapmakers as they will know what they have programmed the AI to do on their own maps. The second option would be preferable but seems less likely.

In CMSF users can either make maps or go the full whack and make a scenario.

In either case the user clearly states in the description whether it has an AI plan or not, or if the plan is only for one side. If it doesn't have a plan, the understanding is that it will be used for H2H play, or for others to turn into a scenario.

If you want to play QBs solo, then indeed, the AI side of the map MUST have a plan, or they will simply just stay where they are.

Hope I haven't missed anything out or misrepresented.

Will the erstwhile mapmaker have to create the AI for each map before it can be included in the QB library or is there an AI template, as such, which is automatically added to maps in the QB folder? If it is the former, then players who want to play solo QBs will have to rely on maps produced by other mapmakers as they will know what they have programmed the AI to do on their own maps. The second option would be preferable but seems less likely.

AI has to be provided by the map-maker for QB maps. A map used solely for HvH use does not need an AI plan. A new QB map-maker won't be completely in the dark, however, as he has a hundred+ examples of QB AI plans that come with the game to draw from. ;)

Seriously, creating QB maps is not a black art or anything you should feel daunted by. Writing AI plans for QB maps is very simple at first and as you gain experience, you can refine the plans you have already created to make the AI behaviour more sophisticated. It's a LOT of fun learning how to do this and it's also much easier now that we have the Scenario Author play mode that allows us to watch the AI perform its orders. I still get a bit of high watching the AI controlled side swinging into action in QBs. You'll also have a whole team of folks here willing to help newbies to CMx2 get started on writing basic AI scripts. For example, we'll be able to tell you how to write orders that will allow you to disembark infantry from their rides at a certain waypoint.

Also bear in mind that Mark Ezra is creating a large number of QB maps for the title and that these maps need to be playable in almost every imaginable configuration - Armor only, Combined Arms, Infantry only, Meeting Engaement, Probe, Tiny, Small, Huge, etc etc, etc. That's a LOT of work.... for the official QB maps. However, when I fire up a QB, I know that I'll never play anything larger than a SMALL battle (one company with support) and that it will be mostly infantry. Therefore I design my own maps to suit my own personal taste. I suspect you'll see lots of folks submitting their custom made QB maps to the Repository or some other CM download site.

A new QB map-maker won't be completely in the dark, however, as he has a hundred+ examples of QB AI plans that come with the game to draw from. ;)

That's the part that I'm unclear about. So, I have made my shiny new map in the editor and I want to put it in the QB folder for possible random selection at some point.

What is the physical process of selecting appropriately, and adding, one of those hundred+ examples? Or am I using the examples as a guide and need to handcraft to the specific needs of my map? Thanks.

Jim - yes you need to "handcraft" the AI plan into your freshly created map. This can be as simple as broad swathe of initial set up area for the AI. If this is all you do the AI will set up in this area (provided it is manually placed somewhere within this area) and stand and fight.

It get's more complex from here.

P

That's the part that I'm unclear about. So, I have made my shiny new map in the editor and I want to put it in the QB folder for possible random selection at some point.

What is the physical process of selecting appropriately, and adding, one of those hundred+ examples? Or am I using the examples as a guide and need to handcraft to the specific needs of my map? Thanks.

You will be using examples as a guide. To do that just open the editor, open the Quick Battle Maps file and select a map that sounds like one you'd like to build. Select the AI editor and Check out the size of the set up zones. Note how the order pathing goes. Just doing that will give you a good idea of what will work for your map. It isn't a black art but with practice it'll seem like magic to your fellow gamers ;)

• 1 month later...

I'm still a little confused (not unusual). The player or the AI are going to pick forces based on what the player decides. I understand the player picks his type of battle: assualt, attack, etc., and the mapmaker can rather generically lay out plans accordingly, but how does the game pick which unit is going to be in which order group? It seems without knowing the units, it will be impossible to set orders/plans. Or do you stay away from order groups. I don't see many in the game-shipped QBs.

Thanks.

I suggest people get some actual 'scenarios' under their belts before piling up QB maps. Get in practice creating usuable AI movement orders for specific units before trying the more problematic 'generalized' orders. The nice thing is after you've perfected your technique you can return to your finished scenario, strip out your units, and rename the map as a QB. But first you have to get a handle on creating AI orders sets.

I'm still a little confused (not unusual). ... but how does the game pick which unit is going to be in which order group? It seems without knowing the units, it will be impossible to set orders/plans. Or do you stay away from order groups. I don't see many in the game-shipped QBs.

Thanks.

No it's Not Impossible... it does take (opinion follows) a very good knowledge of scen design to begin with and then the willingness to forget much of it. QB Maps AI orders must always be designed to deal with every type of unit all the time. So a good designer will make certain that setup use dismount/mount to reflect the actual map, allow good spacing with flexible timed pauses, with no extreme pathing types. CMBN QB Maps represent the current state of knowledge and have been created with a view that more change will come through the module process. I would strongly urge a QB Map designer to become familiar with the current AI Orders/Pathing setups before embarking into the map process.

Every QB Map has at least 2 Plans and ALWAYS uses 2 Order groups. Testing indicates splitting them much further diminishes the power of AI in attack/Meet, while offering little in the way of help in Defense.