Is there any truth to the rumor that...

Yee Gads... those had to be some truly terrible things to choke down. No offense to the Brits here, but I can't imagine much worse, particularly during wartime. Of course some of our Marines on Guadalcanal had to make due with rations from the first world war. :eek:

Yee Gads... [british Army rations] had to be some truly terrible things to choke down. No offense to the Brits here, but I can't imagine much worse...

I don't have to imagine it. In the early 80's I was a soldier in the Australian Army Reserve. At the time I had only a rudimentary understanding of nutrition but even then, as a callow 18 year old grunt, I was shocked at the almost complete absence of roughage available in the one man ration packs. I have grown up since then. I now hold an executive level position in a large organisation (it’s not as glamorous as it sounds) and I have a more sophisticated understanding of logistics and resource management.

One of the problems of moving through the bush in platoon and company sized units is the absence of ablutions facilities in the virgin Australian bushland. We were issued with entrenching tools and when we needed to ablute we were told dig a hole in a quiet spot and take care of business as quickly as possible.

Hygiene in the field is important so each one man ration pack contained a single sheet of toilet paper.

I tried. God knows I tried. I took my entrenching tool and my sheet of toilet paper and tried to carry out my duty as a soldier and a human being. But my bowels refused to cooperate. I failed on every occasion. I felt like the opposite of Charlie Sheen and I cursed those ration pack engineers as fools and incompetents.

Thirty years on I have come to appreciate the genius and synergy in the design of the ration packs. They do exactly what they’re designed to do. They provided the energy required by soldiers to manoeuvrer through difficult terrain and complain about the inequities of life, while obviating the need for daily bowel movements. As designed they allowed soldiers to avoid the dangers of individual excursions into unoccupied territory by facilitating the compression of fecal matter for convenient storage in the large intestine. That single sheet of toilet paper, which I considered at the time to be laughable inadequate, was the genius addition to the ration pack. As a practical item it was useless, but as a symbol it made an immeasurable contribution to individual morale. It represented hope for the future, a future the nutritional content of the rations ensured would never arrive.

Genius. Pure genius. I wish I was that smart.

As a postscript, I would like to say that heroism is not the exclusive province of soldiers in combat. As a soldier in the army reserve I witness true courage and heroism. Not on the fields of battle during manoeuvrers, but on our return to the regimental camp after the battle was over. As individuals and small groups of comrades, striving to do our duty, to fulfill our obligations as soldiers and human beings. Private and alone, upraised and unrecognised and successful at last.

I don't have to imagine it. In the early 80's I was a soldier in the Australian Army Reserve. At the time I had only a rudimentary understanding of nutrition but even then, as a callow 18 year old grunt, I was shocked at the almost complete absence of roughage available in the one man ration packs.

Matters hadn't improved by the late 80s when I joined the Reserves. I recall numerous plumbing problems during basic training. :)

One of the problems of moving through the bush in platoon and company sized units is the absence of ablutions facilities in the virgin Australian bushland. We were issued with entrenching tools and when we needed to ablute we were told dig a hole in a quiet spot and take care of business as quickly as possible.

Hygiene in the field is important so each one man ration pack contained a single sheet of toilet paper.

I tried. God knows I tried. I took my entrenching tool and my sheet of toilet paper and tried to carry out my duty as a soldier and a human being. But my bowels refused to cooperate. I failed on every occasion. I felt like the opposite of Charlie Sheen and I cursed those ration pack engineers as fools and incompetents.

Thirty years on I have come to appreciate the genius and synergy in the design of the ration packs. They do exactly what they’re designed to do. They provided the energy required by soldiers to manoeuvrer through difficult terrain and complain about the inequities of life, while obviating the need for daily bowel movements. As designed they allowed soldiers to avoid the dangers of individual excursions into unoccupied territory by facilitating the compression of fecal matter for convenient storage in the large intestine. That single sheet of toilet paper, which I considered at the time to be laughable inadequate, was the genius addition to the ration pack. As a practical item it was useless, but as a symbol it made an immeasurable contribution to individual morale. It represented hope for the future, a future the nutritional content of the rations ensured would never arrive.

LOL! You must have accumulated quite a store of tissue, which would have come in handy when your day of reckoning finally arrived.

:D

Michael