Will the Rumblings of War tournament (Row) be Returning

32 bottles you drank in 10 friggin years?! It says so in your profile.

I apoligize Winecap that I am a glutton and drank all of your fine wines so quickly. If I am ever so lucky as to win another Row, I will make sure to make the wine last much longer. :)

Only 72 slots? Looks like there is going to be a long waiting list...

Then again, playing through 7 entire PBEMs in 120 days isn't exactly an easy proposition. When I was playing PBEMs and posting AARs on the forum, one turn a day was taking up a large portion of my available gaming time. I'm not sure I could actually fit in the time to do screenshots, maps and stuff for 7 games in that kind of time frame.

Only 72 slots? Looks like there is going to be a long waiting list...

Then again, playing through 7 entire PBEMs in 120 days isn't exactly an easy proposition. When I was playing PBEMs and posting AARs on the forum, one turn a day was taking up a large portion of my available gaming time. I'm not sure I could actually fit in the time to do screenshots, maps and stuff for 7 games in that kind of time frame.

It all depends on the size of the scenarios. 120 days might cut it too fine. We might make it 6 months. An AAR for full credit will be, at a minimum, 1 x A4 page, which will include 2 templates: (1) A note to the scenario designer, and (2) your AAR notes.

Obviously players must consider their time investment, given 7 games total and the sizes of each battle, BEFORE they sign up. If you misjudge your time needed to finish before the deadline, and withdraw due to this during, barring real life emergencies (death of your cat = not an excuse) consider yourself shot on the spot. We will not invite you again for future tourneys. So, think before you blink. Rather skip RoW VI and await RoW VII then.

RoW VI will not be a rush job. We'll take our time organizing this beast. In the 5-6 years interim since RoW V, I'd lotsa time to mull over the ideas how to really screw with the minds of RoW VI PBEM players. ;)

Leto;1250513']How did the ROW tournaments monitor for/deal with cheaters? This is of course' date=' making the bold presumption that there are actually people out there who would actually consider this/have the capacity to do so.[/quote']

.-- . ... .... --- --- - - .... . --

Leto;1250513']How did the ROW tournaments monitor for/deal with cheaters? This is of course, making the bold presumption that there are actually people out there who would actually consider this/have the capacity to do so.

Cheers!

Leto

Fortunately I don't think its possible to cheat. I remember rumors that somebody had 'cracked' CMx1, but I AFAIK they were only rumors. I

don't think there were ever any complaints of it happening in a tournament. Besides, in RoW since there are so many playing the same scenarios such fiddling would soon come to light. For example,

In an AAR:
"Aw man, in Highlander Hell, my panthers got wasted by my opponents 30 17 pounder AT guns. I don't think this game is winnable as the Axis."

Everybody else:
WHAT!!!???

Anyway, to my knowledge, BFT doesn't build in 'cheats' that you find in other games, and certainly none have been discovered in CMSF. You are not going to find that pressing Ctrl-Alt-* while holding down 'return' and doing a one handed headstand gives you a limitless supply of AT ammunition, for example.

As for 'gamey' play, well, this is a tournament where the object is to beat your opponents any way you can - as opposed to a campaign where there might be authenticity issues. In a tournament, any way you can squeeze out the most from your resources is probably allowable.

Anybody else got thoughts on 'gamey' play that they would consider 'cheating'?

In an AAR:"Aw man, in Highlander Hell, my panthers got wasted by my opponents 30 17 pounder AT guns. I don't think this game is winnable as the Axis."

Everybody else: WHAT!!!???

I suspect cheating would come less in the form of adding units/or taking away enemy units pre-game but more in the realm of removing FOW or something.

ROW games are hard to cheat in, the game files are sent out with the game parameters already set and a generic password assigned per side.

FOW is covered by ROW scenarios not having been played before (ie designed just for the ROW) and the fact that no one talks about them until all games are finished.

Plus I don't think any of the players would ever be invited back if they did cheat.

One of the reason RoW Vets are regarded with a 'slightly' higher level of integrity wrt future invites: None of them are troublesome, so far, for the sake of just being so, nor unsporting, nor do they behave in ungentlemanly conduct. Well, we had no women yet..

RoW is an invite. Though we invite people to sign up wrt newbies, it ultimately boils down to who we want to play in the tourney. We're the host, you're the guest. Certain unwritten etiquettes are common to this arrangement. Invites will not repeat if you don't behave accordingly. That does not imply we organisers will not allow by accident a future Fionn (may his soul rest) in a Rumblings of War tourney, but the Fionn's will be mostly enigmas in them.

We like to think we foster some camaraderie and good, sporting fun with ROW - and judging from responses over the years we got that right - apart from being a serious tournament that test your Axis/allied attack/defend skills to the utmost, as well as thinking 'out of the box' when confronted with a troublesome, against all odds scenario.

PS: Gamey -- Not drinking during a RoW battle, or not drinking any wine at all, is gamey. Anything else goes in ROW.

We detected a person named 101paratrooper in our club that had actually found a way to manipulate CMx1 using PBEM helper. There was also discussion on how he was able to change ammo loads for his units. I know so little about the game mechanics, that I just took the word of the techies at our club to resolve.

Gamey is fine, especially in a tournament with an objective to win but cheaters are the lowest of the low and should be flung into the nine hells when at all possible.

Cheers!

Leto

WineCape,

Will the scenarios all be WeGo?

Not being familiar with CMSF has the way PBEM been changed to allow for faster turn around i.e. two emails per minute instead of three?

What email exchange rate would you expect from the RoW'ers?

I understand there may be TCP/IP but without playback?

I suspect cheating would come less in the form of adding units/or taking away enemy units pre-game but more in the realm of removing FOW or something.

Yes, a powerful form of cheating would be if two players decide to help each other in the early rounds by giving each other the order of battles of opposite sides during the setup phase.

Knowing what you are up to is very strong knowledge.

Of course, even thinking about such a possibility makes me an inferior being.

Not being familiar with CMSF has the way PBEM been changed to allow for faster turn around i.e. two emails per minute instead of three?

What email exchange rate would you expect from the RoW'ers?

I understand there may be TCP/IP but without playback?

Yes, all CMBN PBEM files contain a "view move phase" and upon reviewing it, and also a plot phase, in the same file. No need for PBEM Helper anymore.

Exchange Rate of PBEM - we don't know that yet, other then it will be 7 games over 120-180 day period. Closer to time (in a few months time) will give clarity Ted. Play by email will be a requirement. Both parties can to agree to RT play, of course. The emphasis, however, is on both in the previous sentence.

The full tourney schedule, I think, should only be announced on your very next battle, and not in full, in advance. Maybe you should not even be aware of who is IN your section at all, until you play them, that is. Of course, I will have the players sections detailed. Maybe all you will get is a tournament player number, ranging 1 --> 72. All points to ponder. ;)

Yes, all CMBN PBEM files contain a "view move phase" and upon reviewing it, and also a plot phase, in the same file. No need for PBEM Helper anymore.

Exchange Rate of PBEM - we don't know that yet, other then it will be 7 games over 120-180 day period. Closer to time (in a few months time) will give clarity Ted. Play by email will be a requirement. Both parties can to agree to RT play, of course. The emphasis, however, is on both in the previous sentence.

The full tourney schedule, I think, should only be announced on your very next battle, and not in full, in advance. Maybe you should not even be aware of who is IN your section at all, until you play them, that is. Of course, I will have the players sections detailed. Maybe all you will get is a tournament player number, ranging 1 --> 72. All points to ponder. ;)

One thing that I think we'll find is that scenarios in CMX2 will play out more slowly than in CMX1. Now that there is 1 to 1 representation, the scenarios could well turn out to be more finely detailed than in CMX1, making the equivalent scenario in CMX2 take longer.

At least that's the experience from CMSF.

However, other reasons why CMSF plays slower than CMX1 are the enhanced deadliness of the weaponry and the unwillingless to take casualties.

So, a question to the beta testers who have played all versions: does CMBN play out more like CMSF or CMX1?

Welcome back Juha. As a multiple Vet of Rumblings of War, you will get invited to RoW VI for sure. Just make sure I can access your Battlefront.com forum email address to send invites out when the time draws near.

Regards.