Happy to hear about CMBN

I've played all the combat mission games years ago when they first came out. I had many excellent hot seat and play by email games. Lately I've been playing all the first person shooters, Battlefield, Red Orchestra, ect but the desire to get back to tactical command is getting stronger all the time. The combat mission games were probably the best games I ever played, and I go all the way back to squad leader and panzer leader board games by Avalon hill. I have not played in years and was thinking of putting my old games back on and trying to see if I could get an email game going. While I was trying to figure out how to find someone to play against I stumbled on to this new game. Had to sign up for the forum right away. Can't wait to give it a try. When is it going to be released?

If you liked the CM games, you'll love Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. Until it's released, why not play CM:Shock Force for a while??

I purchased CMSF not long after it first came out. I loaded it up, poked around in the game a bit... I think I even tried out the tutorial scenario. I quickly realized that I had absolutely no interest in modern warfare, particularly in a desert setting, and removed the game from my hard drive. The disk and manual have been on my bookshelf ever since, awaiting the day that I'd load it up again to learn the system in advance of a return to WWII.

After reading the Elvis vs. JonS DAR/AAR, that day was today. From what little I've seen, I'm pleasantly surprised with the advancement of the game beyond CMx1. Can't wait to take CM:BN for a spin.

I purchased CMSF not long after it first came out. I loaded it up, poked around in the game a bit... I think I even tried out the tutorial scenario. I quickly realized that I had absolutely no interest in modern warfare, particularly in a desert setting, and removed the game from my hard drive. The disk and manual have been on my bookshelf ever since, awaiting the day that I'd load it up again to learn the system in advance of a return to WWII.

After reading the Elvis vs. JonS DAR/AAR, that day was today. From what little I've seen, I'm pleasantly surprised with the advancement of the game beyond CMx1. Can't wait to take CM:BN for a spin.

Have you fully updated it? The difference between the original release and the shape it is in now is like night and day.

Have you fully updated it? The difference between the original release and the shape it is in now is like night and day.

Yep... patched through v1.31 before I started boot camp.

I've got to be careful, it's not even February, and I've used up my post quota for the year :D

Well Rake, I love both genres. Before CMSF was released, I remember attempting to build a Fallujah battle in CMAK. :D It didn't work out well, but kept me busy for a while.

Playing CMSF now will most definitely help you become a better player in CMBN. Once you're comfortable with the CMx2 system, you'll be ready for the invasion of France.

Well Rake, I love both genres. Before CMSF was released, I remember attempting to build a Fallujah battle in CMAK. :D It didn't work out well, but kept me busy for a while.

i can't tell you why, but fighting in the desert has never interested me. I bought CMAK for the system upgrades and Italian campaign. I think I played on scenario situated in North Africa. Modern warfare (or anything post Korea) interests me not a whit...

Playing CMSF now will most definitely help you become a better player in CMBN. Once you're comfortable with the CMx2 system, you'll be ready for the invasion of France.

This is the reason I bought CMSF so many months ago. I'll "play" against the computer, not to practice tactics or try to win, but just to make sure I understand all the bells and whistles in CMx2 once it returns to Europe.

Hey Louie, not even the beta testers know when it's going to be released, but all I can tell you is that it's looking GREAT. If you liked the CM games, you'll love Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy. Until it's released, why not play CM:Shock Force for a while??

That's seems like a great idea. I didn't know about that game either. I'm really a WW II fan, but as someone else said I'll be up to speed when Normandy is released. Maybe I'll get the demo if there is one. It's been so long since I played combat mission I'd have to relearn even the old game again. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys across the battlefield someday soon. thanks for all the imput.

There may be some tweaks here or there but by all indications the interface / camera controls will be almost exactly the same as CMSF

I for one will hope for a few tweaks to the interface commands. I like to use keyboard shortcuts when giving orders and I am forever giving the wrong command due to the fact that I am in the wrong 'command mode'.

That's seems like a great idea. I didn't know about that game either. I'm really a WW II fan, but as someone else said I'll be up to speed when Normandy is released. Maybe I'll get the demo if there is one. It's been so long since I played combat mission I'd have to relearn even the old game again. Looking forward to seeing some of you guys across the battlefield someday soon. thanks for all the imput.

By all means, grab the demo and check it out! Try Afghanistan too. ;)

Howdy folks, I got the demo trying it on for size, so far so good. I've got a question if you don't mind. Is there anyway to keep all your movement lines for your different units displayed while your taking your turn so that you can see the overall picture of the movements you've planned? I seem to remember that the old game could do that.

Hello again folks. I've got what I'm sure is a stupid question. I have been trying the shock force demo and enjoying it, but in the going to town scenario and the smashing metal scenario there's something I'm missing. In both I seem to have destroyed all the enemy forces I can find, and taken all the objectives but the game never ends. I cruise around finding no enemies and the game never comes to an end. Do you have to kill every last enemy on the map? I know it's got to be some dumb thing I'm overlooking but I can't figure it out. Can anybody clue me in? Thanks

Hello again folks. I've got what I'm sure is a stupid question. I have been trying the shock force demo and enjoying it, but in the going to town scenario and the smashing metal scenario there's something I'm missing. In both I seem to have destroyed all the enemy forces I can find, and taken all the objectives but the game never ends. I cruise around finding no enemies and the game never comes to an end. Do you have to kill every last enemy on the map? I know it's got to be some dumb thing I'm overlooking but I can't figure it out. Can anybody clue me in? Thanks

I don't remember the details of the scenarios but if you think you've done everything needed the scenario hasn't ended, you can hit Cease Fire and the scenario will end.