Happy to hear about CMBN

Thanks again folks. I've got the bug to play really bad now, can't wait for Normandy to come out. I don't like modern warfare, the battles are usually too one sided, and some how they lack the romance of WW II, but I'm thinking about buying shock force just to ease my pain until Normandy is released. Trouble is I know I won't play it after I can get Normandy. Any idea how long it will be? Are any of you guys playing Shock force by email? I see that there are add ons too. What would you recommend?

I've still got a lot of catching up to do. It's been quite a few years since I played combat mission. I blew the crap out of my own infantry because I misjudged the effective area for mortar fire. Thought I was wasting the enemy because I heard them screaming turns out it was my own guys. It shows you how immersive the game can be, that you feel really bad about doing something like that. You can actually feel responsible for the fate of imaginary men. I still have a lot of catching up to do before I'm ready for a real opponent, but I'm enjoying the game immensely and looking forward to joining the community. When I used to play Panzer Leader, the board game with little squares of cardboard to represent your forces and hit probability charts on paper in the early 70s, I only knew one guy who had the patience and the interest to play the game against me. One of the great things about the internet is that you can find and interact with people who share your interests. Thanks for all your help.

There is no set date for the release of Normandy, so your guess is as good as mine. You can buy CMSF for incredibly cheap, like $5, so you may want to shop around. The modules add a TON of content, but if you're never going to play them again once CM:BN is out, then it's hard to tell you to spend the money. Personally, I'd buy the whole collection!

Your problem with one sided battles has been a concern of many others, so there's a ton of user-made content that attempts to even the odds a bit. For example, one of my favorite campaigns is for the USMC module. It follows a platoon of Marines through a darn tough day of fighting and is no easy task to beat. Also, there are even a lot of red on red missions that even the odds as well. There are so many great scenarios, campaigns, and mods out there, you could be playing for years.

I'm sure you won't have much problem finding someone to PBEM with.

I know the feeling of controlling the fate of imaginary men... I play as if I would be the one to write to the Moms of the dead about how brave their sons were. ;)

I myself am really looking forward to CMBN and all it's modules... I very much enjoy CMSF and all it's modules as well...

Modern warfare definitely has it's pro's and cons, but i find the game very fun especially in H2H games. it's thrilling to interrupt an orderly blue advance with some IED's or carbombs. And it is quite fun to hose down an area with high velocity cannon fire from a Marder... for the sake of balance i have fond great scenarios with red having superior position or numbers against blue to be quite balanced indeed. as well as blue on blue or red on red games...

I imagine when CMBN finally comes out i will be playing both CMSF and CMBN regularly...

I may finally drop off on my CMAK play though as the club im in "The band of brothers combat mission club" is going to support CMBN so i wont be negligent in no longer playing CMAK...

I myself am really looking forward to CMBN and all it's modules... I very much enjoy CMSF and all it's modules as well...

Modern warfare definitely has it's pro's and cons, but i find the game very fun especially in H2H games. it's thrilling to interrupt an orderly blue advance with some IED's or carbombs. And it is quite fun to hose down an area with high velocity cannon fire from a Marder... for the sake of balance i have fond great scenarios with red having superior position or numbers against blue to be quite balanced indeed. as well as blue on blue or red on red games...

I imagine when CMBN finally comes out i will be playing both CMSF and CMBN regularly...

I may finally drop off on my CMAK play though as the club im in "The band of brothers combat mission club" is going to support CMBN so i wont be negligent in no longer playing CMAK...

Likewise. I would really need to have UK forces for Normandy before I can consider it but once they are available I would probably buy. Would be nice to see expansions covering the Med and Russian Front. On the other hand it looks like there are some good alternatives on this site.

Luke

There is no set date for the release of Normandy, so your guess is as good as mine. You can buy CMSF for incredibly cheap, like $5, so you may want to shop around.

Also, there are even a lot of red on red missions that even the odds as well. There are so many great scenarios, campaigns, and mods out there, you could be playing for years.

)

You were right, after a quick search I got the game for 9.95 from GamersGate (which I had never heard of before) I payed an extra buck for a patch from Battle front that upgrades it to the same version that they sell from this site. Played and won my first game last night on veteran level. Had a great time. As you said it appears in the quick battles you can play red vs red or blue vs blue. I might get to try that tonight. By the time Normandy comes out I ought to be able to hit the ground running. I've played the older versions in either hot seat or pbem. I never played in any tournaments I'll have to find out how it's done. The band of Brothers club that Toxic.zen mentioned looks interesting. Thanks for all your help

Hey Louie good to see you are jumping onboard. I am also a member of WEBOB with Tox and would definitely recommend joining up. Another good one that I am in is www.thefewgoodmen.com

They are currently running a small tourney and it looks like they have a lot of interest in multiple games over there. The more the merrier.

One more I forgot about is www.worldatwar.eu/

All good places to find some games.