Remember these two battles on CMBO?

With all the talk about the new features on CMBN, I thought whether the good folks at Battlefront had thought about resurrecting the two battles on the original CMBO demo for CMBN, that is:

A Chance Encounter

Valley of Trouble

The timeframes might be a bit out with the first one in April 1945 and the second one in September 1944 but I suppose it doesn't really matter as the kit used is available in the timeframe for CMBN.

I really enjoyed playing these two battles on the original CMBO demo and it would be great if we can get a similar battle for CMBN.

Dan

I loved the 'Chance encounter' and played it to death.

That said.... I think with the new engine (larger maps?) and years of experience with CM games BF can come up with better scenario's to showcase CM:BN than the golden oldies of the original demo's could do.

Maybe that's a nice question to keep us occupied for some time.

Say, you could convince Rune to take a sickleave and BF asks you to design 'the demo mission for CM:BN'? What would it entail? What units would be in there?

My take:

An american infantry compagny has to capture a crossroad in german defended bocage. They get a sherman platoon (2 with rhino), medium arty and an airstrike as support. Reinforcements, a second tank platoon and a fresh company.

The germans get a couple of weakened platoons, some AT assets and a mortar spotter (3x mortar on map?) as support. Reinforcement is either a couple of stugs or a Tiger (you know the crowd wants the tiger...) and fresh platoons to counterattack with.

Situation - the american player has to poke/feel their way through the difficult terrain. With the opportunity to experience how brutal bocage fighting was and to see how well CM:BN handles it.

PS: of course I really want the german FJ reinforcments to ride in on jagdpanthers while firing flares but oh well :P:D

Oh no! Nonononononono. You don't want that. He'd have us all falling on our swords—or bayonets as the case may be—in frustration.

:eek:

Michael

Ok, but what if Rune DOES design the demo scenario?

It would be you commanding a dozen army cooks, armed with spoons, against a platoon of crack tigers hulldown on a hill on a wide open map. Mission: take the hill in 10 minutes....

With all the talk about the new features on CMBN, I thought whether the good folks at Battlefront had thought about resurrecting the two battles on the original CMBO demo for CMBN, that is:

A Chance Encounter

Valley of Trouble

The timeframes might be a bit out with the first one in April 1945 and the second one in September 1944 but I suppose it doesn't really matter as the kit used is available in the timeframe for CMBN.

I really enjoyed playing these two battles on the original CMBO demo and it would be great if we can get a similar battle for CMBN.

Dan

There have been versions of these two for every Combat Mission ever released, including Strike Force. I would imagine that, even if BFC don't include them with the game or demo, somebody will release versions within a week or two of CMBN coming out.

Aside from purely nostalgic reasons, I also like seeing how the same scenario handled all the engine tweaks and changes over the years. First time I played the CMSF version I got my rear handed to me.

There have been versions of these two for every Combat Mission ever released, including Strike Force. I would imagine that, even if BFC don't include them with the game or demo, somebody will release versions within a week or two of CMBN coming out.

LOL. I was gonna make this exact reply (almost to the word) but wanted to finish reading other stuff first...Gimmee my brain back!

Mord.

Trust me, it would be much more evil then that. However, I don't believe in time limits, so you would have more time.

Rune

Maybe, someday, MAYBE, I will release the evil I made with CMSF, an Iraq/Iran war scenario, based on the real terrain and forces

Ok, but what if Rune DOES design the demo scenario?

It would be you commanding a dozen army cooks, armed with spoons, against a platoon of crack tigers hulldown on a hill on a wide open map. Mission: take the hill in 10 minutes....

A Chance Encounter

Valley of Trouble

Dan

They were both re-done for CMAK, and I think by hand. I have no doubt that if CMBN crosses a certain level of popularity somebody will do it.

Chance Encounter would be problematic without riding on tanks, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone check my memory?

"Last Defence" was set in a valley with a lateral stream and a village at the river crossing. German Tigers and mech company vs US TDs and infantry. Generally Germans attacking.

"Valley of Trouble" was steeply rolling terrain. Germans defending incl bunkers. US had at least one 105mm Sherman.

"Chance Encounter" mostly flat with a low ridge between either side. Woods on the ridge at either map edge, and a church in the saddle of the ridge. Germans had a couple(?) of StuGs.

"Reisberg" ... I'm drawing a complete blank on that one.

Someone check my memory?

<snip>

"Reisberg" ... I'm drawing a complete blank on that one.

Well AFAIK the English interpretation of 'Reisberg' is 'Highmountain' or even 'Hugemountain', however I'm Danish so my German is rusty.

Anyway my foggy recollection depicts for my inner eye what amounts to a small map (smallest of the four battles in question) with one big two story building on a smallish hill (hence to name the battle Reisberg was more of a joke really, or a pun towards the difficulty of the offensive task). There might have been one or two smaller buildings also. I specifically remember that the Germans had a FlaK 88, that was the first time I saw and played with that beast. I seem to recall the Germans setting up in defense in and around the main building, and the Americans on the offense starting on a quite narrow berm that stretched the map from side to side.

However the main anchors for my memory is the map size, the joke that the name represented and the FlaK 88. That is about all I remember ... not much I know ...

Could be fun to have the demo battles recreated in CM:BN

All the best