Questions about bocage...

Just a few thoughts on the new bocage terrain:

We have all heard about the Rhino equipped tanks being able to punch through,leaving a gap for follow up attacks. But how will vehicles/AFVs without rhinos interact with the Bocage? Will it be considured impenetrable, just slow the tanks like in CMBO, or will it show tanks going OVER the hedge, showing the vulnerable underbelly to HEAT Rounds?

I'm more concerned about how breaching the bocage will play out. The first tank to breach a hedgerow would commonly rake the base of any opposing hedgerow with mg fire as a precaution. There currently is no command to simulate this tactic. You could set a fire arc but this requires the enemy to be spotted first for the tank to open fire, and the area fire command is only for a specific action spot.

Tracked vehicles could go over at least some if not most hedgerows. The problem was that as they did, they exposed their thin belly armor to anything that could penetrate it. It was preferable to have the vehicle go through on the level, thus presenting its thicker front armor. At least that's the way the story gets told. I have to wonder what the Germans would have had on hand at this point in the war that would penetrate the belly armor and not the frontal armor. The PaK 36 would have fit the description, but those had long been phased out from front line units.

Michael

Is it possible to destroy bocage with large calibre arty shells ?

I don't think that happened much historically.

is this terrain type destructible with anything but rhinos ?

Yeah, engineer place demo charges. That was the case in RL and I believe someone posted that it's in the game as well.

Michael

Is it possible to destroy bocage with large calibre arty shells ? is this terrain type destructible with anything but rhinos ? (elephants maybe ? :) )

I am sure that launching elephants at bocage with enough velocity will make impressive holes in it. Some tree huggers might protest to this method though :D