FlameThrowers/Fires/Burning/Hothothot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly appreciate why they aren't going to show immediately but they would be very welcome in the commonwealth module. I'm sure this would be a logical step as there will be less commonwealth armour to simulate in the first place. Plus it would add some nice variation to the missions. I can't imagine a WWII battlefield without flamers and/or fire personally.

Agreed: the flames need proper treatment.

But the flames, man, the flames. Why are they 2D? We need volumetric flames. Cool flames, flames like Wolfenstein, flames like Company of Heroes. Flames that make you sweat when you see them. Burning flames of purity.

Where were we?

(from http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=89904 )

Hmm, maybe a good place to start would be...FLARES! (See: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=92544 )

;)

Ken

I don't know when fire and fire burpers will be simulated, but yes... at some point they will find their way into Combat Mission. It is on a short priority list of major features to tackle.

Steve

Would be interested to hear what else is on the "short priority list of major features to tackle" if possible. Would give us an indication of what to expect in the release and what to expect in the near/mid future. Needle in haystack stuff trying to think of the correct questions to ask to reveal relevant stuff :) ...

Ya I'm glad flamethrowers are on a low priority compared to other stuff... I mean, how many of you used flammie teams frequently in CMx1?? They were useless unless at point blank range, and in that case you might as well just use a dirt cheap/moves faster than a slug SMG squad or a pioneer squad to chuck a few satchels and blow the offending pixeltruppen apart :D. The flamethrower tanks were cool, but their rarity made them wayyyyy too expensive to make it worth the purchase.

Ya I'm glad flamethrowers are on a low priority compared to other stuff... I mean, how many of you used flammie teams frequently in CMx1?? They were useless unless at point blank range, and in that case you might as well just use a dirt cheap/moves faster than a slug SMG squad or a pioneer squad to chuck a few satchels and blow the offending pixeltruppen apart :D. The flamethrower tanks were cool, but their rarity made them wayyyyy too expensive to make it worth the purchase.

I used flamer vehicles quite a lot in my random QB's mate. That's all I would play latterly. Not realistic of course, but fun all the same and that's what it's all about. With the poor QB engine in SF I lost a lot of that instant gratification. Sure, the scenarios and ops were generally very good, but I really missed that quick fix. With Normandy offering a revised QB engine, this opens up massive potential once again. Of course, I'm patient and happy to wait, but fire and flamers would be pretty cool eventually if you'll pardon the pun!

I would play loads of different QB's - actually I was probably addicted to unbalanced QBs versus the AI, with the odds in my favour because I hate losing :D

It was simple really, I would never lead with the flamers - I would send them in after the initial attack. I'd keep anything soft-skinned or 'flamed' up well out of the way until I was satisfied everything that could potentially knock it out had gone. So I would pick out the usual plethora of AT guns first and then I could cruise my dudes anywhere I wanted within the relative safety of numbers. Once you get a flamer inside a village though - it's great. Set fire to the lot, and nothing can really touch you. Actually, I think they are one of the most under-rated things in the game.

I was more interested in setting the ground on fire which I used a lot in CMx1 e.g. got a bunker problem? Fire at the forest it's in until it catches fire and watch as the crew run off.

Enemy in the weat field? a few bursts of tracer fire will take care of them (and the crop for that year). Of course it only works in hot/dry climate but I did use it quite a bit.

Good to hear it's coming back some time.

Hmmm... never noticed that. So you're saying if I area attack with a flamethrower infantry unit one end of a decent sized forest... it'll eventually consume the entire thing? How long does that take? (I'm assuming it works the same in both CMBB and CMAK right?). Cause if so... yes I could see that being v. useful.

Works in BO too, the temperature, type and dampness effect the chance of a tile catching fire so if you have optimal conditions your machine guns can set fire to things just with their tracers. Once a tiles on fire it "rolls to ignite" everything around it so it will spread through highly flammable stuff quite quickly forcing units out.

I think in at least AK wind effected how fast and what direction the fire spread too.