How is CM:SF regarded?

For nearly a year I have regarded CMSF very ATI unfriendly.

Just coming back to these forums for the first time in a long time, sounds like that might be a thing of the past, but will have to find out for myself soon when I try the new CATALYST Drivers.

*EDIT* In all fairness it should or could be said that ATI is very CMSF unfriendly.

SF is definitely running better than it used to on ATI - but it's still smoother with Nvidia. Enjoy!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years ATI and nVidia have traded places several times in terms of which one runs better. They keep fixing and breaking things. Not just for us, but for other games as well. It's incredibly card dependent too, which makes it even more frustrating. Worse yet, both card companies have a history of "silent revisions" that are hidden from the public. Meaning, an "8600 GT" in Joe's computer might *not* be the same "8600 GT" in Fred's computer, even though there is absolutely no differences noted on the boxes. Fun stuff :(

Several years ago nVidia got a new CEO and he admitted that they had way too many different models out on the market and needed to simplify things. I'm not sure that's happened yet as products already "in the pipeline" were likely shipped anyway.

Steve

Heh, I remember the problems CMSF had with certain ATI cards initially (I don't think it was every ATI card that suffered as catastrofically)...Both me and my friend had cards of the same chipset and drivers which IIRC weren't all that common and the game at that point was completely unplayable, crashing constantly, weird graphic glitches and the fact that the mouse clicks never hit where you wanted them to :D

Fortunately, as always, customer support was top notch and it was either Moon or Madmatt who sent new versions of the .exe to try out almost every day.

Love you guys. Sniff.

EDIT: Forgot to say that since I got back into the game a while ago, got all the modules and latest patches I haven't had a single crash and I'm still using ATI, on a new laptop mind you, that's got to as bad as it gets compatibility-wise. :D

Certainly only a fraction of the people who purchased a CMx1 game are still playing them. Based on the number of Vista upgrades we have a rough idea of the activity level. I'd guess that less than 1% of all CMx1 games purchased are still being actively played. That number is fewer than the sales of a single CM:SF Module, therefore it's clear that 3 years out CM:SF has far more people playing it than are still playing all three CMx1 games combined. Which is the way it should be considering CMx1 games are between 6 and 10 years old.

Still plenty of XP users out there mind. Vista patch wont take them in to account.

XP Windows 7 Windows Vista Mac OS X 10.6 Mac OS X 10.5 Other

November, 2009 69.05% 4.00% 18.55% 1.38% 2.61% 4.41%

December, 2009 67.77% 5.71% 17.87% 1.60% 2.47% 4.59%

January, 2010 66.15% 7.57% 17.47% 1.80% 2.37% 4.64%

February, 2010 65.49% 8.92% 16.51% 1.88% 2.21% 4.99%

March, 2010 64.46% 10.23% 16.01% 2.13% 2.26% 4.92%

April, 2010 63.41% 11.68% 15.60% 2.29% 2.13% 4.89%

May, 2010 62.55% 12.68% 15.25% 2.34% 1.96% 5.22%

June, 2010 62.43% 13.70% 14.68% 2.47% 1.90% 4.82%

July, 2010 61.87% 14.46% 14.34% 2.48% 1.82% 5.03%

August, 2010 60.89% 15.87% 14.00% 2.59% 1.73% 4.93%

September, 2010 60.03% 17.10% 13.35% 2.72% 1.67% 5.14%

i.e 60% XP Sept 2010

From what I last saw CMx1 on Windows 7 is "touchy". Early results showed CMx1 had the same problems on it as it had on Vista. But some people apparently had success getting it to run. Nobody got it running on Vista as far as I know.

Steve

win 7 ultimate 64 bit , CMAK 1.03 then 1.04 patch runs a treat (NVIDA 8800 GT)

Still plenty of XP users out there mind. Vista patch wont take them in to account....

i.e 60% XP Sept 2010

I am one of those XP users :D I do think that for gaming the proportion of people using Vista or Windows 7 is probably higher than the general population. Usually gamers tend to be, on the whole, using more modern stuff either because they want to or are forced to. But your point is correct... still a lot of XP users out there and there likely will be until various companies stop supporting XP with upgrades/patches.

Steve

Absolutely love the game, great value for money with the modules, and all their missions. I tried all the CMx1 games but never really got into them because of the WW2 setting, which does nothing for me! A modern day hypothetical conflict was just what I wanted.

I bought the 'game' when it first came out, but I still haven't tried any of the campaigns. I'm waiting for the NATO module so I can have one almighty clash, playing them all simultaneously :D

As for the big review websites, go and look at the IGN review of CIV5 and then head over to the CIV5 forum's to see what the players think of that!

There's a few things I would have liked to have seen in CMSF - proper modelling of the recon vehicles etc. but to be honest I'm sad to see the last module being rolled out. :(

Hairy Pie....don't worry because at some point in the future there will be another modern game....

You never know as Battlefront let developers like Snowball use the CMx2 engine someone out there might do a Korea War, Arab\Isreali, Falklands or some other lesser known conflict. I was going to say Vietnam but I'm not sure the engine could do jungle fighting unfortunately....

Or some developer might do a Sci Fi game....something similar to Warhammer 40k with big mechs etc etc...not normally my thing but I would buy that...the first realistic sci fi combat game...

Does sound good though the more I think of it....mechs...different branch's of infantry...your imagination is the limit for weapons and AFV's...also I'd like to see it look dark and dirty rather than all those bright cartoon style colours in Warhammer 40K...

Actually, that really would be interesting :) A gritty Warhammer 40k simulation (haha, that sounds so ludicrous).

Hairy Pie....don't worry because at some point in the future there will be another modern game....QUOTE]

I do hope so! I would have liked to have seen the conflict escalate, e.g. the Syrians start to provoke the Israelis much the same way that Saddam did in the first Gulf war (an Israeli mod), then the Russians wade in on the side of Syria (Russian mod), and then the Cylons appear wanting to fight everyone (Cylon mod) and then..........? :P