So CM:N is an new game then ? not a module ?

Well I was mostly joking, not intended to take it literally :P BUT, this is still true for online CMSF where two people cant play a user made CMSf base mission that has a Marine humvee for instance. BFC should take this into account when spliting content of modules for eastern front. They will be so many you will hardly remember what's on your hard disk.

Hmm , good point. Agree that multiple modules is a good idea in theory but so many of them sound so similar. (sounding like a broken record here sorry) ... I would purchase a module for additional game features not for new vehicles/operations that are so similar to the last module e.g eastern from 41 then 42 , cannot see the appeal of that at all :(

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Phil ! :) we are on our second baby ( 5 months and 21 months) and i can assure you, your time will indeed be limited :) .... wouldn't change it for the world though !!!

What you studying ?

Thanks Scott. It's our first, and I'm bricking it obviously :D My time will already be limited with my open university degree (BA in History by the way, encompassing Empire, Heritage, Total War, lots of military angles) and everyday life.

The modules aspect is a win win for BFC. I think they're reasonably good value as they stand, for what they offer in terms of gameplay and features. Can you imagine your' Combat Mission library in a few years to come, especially if you go for the hard copy. You'd have 20 or so jewel cases and half of WWII covered - that alone would be quite amazing to see! But picture this - the way SF has developed; every module has seen some new features implemented, and new animations, new missions, campaigns etc. Just think about the potential this has to offer, particularly with the Eastern Front. I'd be purchasing the lot - but I'd best save up first! How much are they likely to be? $25 per module x 16 obviously split over a considerable time. That's a lot of green and a lot of gameplay. You can see why it's a win win for BFC :D

Still if their options are 16 modules or no Eastern front at all, I think nobody of us will object ;)

I think we'd object to no Eastern Front.

Just put my credit card on file and hit it for $25 every 2-3 months with a new module Eastern or Western for the next several years. And besure and time the game releases for early December.

You're lucky we're not making it 20 :D If we do get to a point of diminishing returns we have a simple solution... stop making more Eastern Front products. We killed ourselves making CMBB and the sales did not justify the effort, so we're only going to make the effort if Eastern Fronters are willing to put their money where their mouths are. And if they don't... we will just cater our offerings to the viability of the marketplace. No hard feelings :)Steve
Surely the Russian developers will be happy to keep cranking out EF modules until the entire war is covered? Btw, CMBB was the best CM game by far IMO.

West Front and East Front titles will have my money....any other theatre will probably not.

I certainly wouldn't be bored with 4 EF modules....If you don't want them you dont have to by them.....the more WW2 titles to cover everything the better....as I can't see any ofus being around by the time CMx3 East Front comes out...I expect Battlefronts kids will take over the business to produce them.

Ive been looking at the price of board wargames...Conflict of Heroes Kursk is £65. Thats for one battle! I know the WW2 titles are going to be the ultimate in tactical WW2 gameplay so I'm willing to invest a fair amount as I know I will be getting value for money. A certain PC game recently sold for a fair old sum and one in the pipeline is also touted to cost a fair amount...I own the one recently released and though a fantastic wargame I prefer the gameplay and scale of CMSF...so I will happly invest my money in the CMx2 family and hope and pray others do the same as no other developer is doing anything close to what Battlefront do and to miss out on them creating the ultimate East Front series of games would be a big low point in my wargaming hobby.

You're lucky we're not making it 20 :D Seriously, there is so much stuff packed into the Eastern Front that trying to do it in less than 4 Families just isn't viable. The amount of changes each 6 months in the war is staggering. Not just vehicles and equipment, but the TO&E of the forces involved. And let's not forget the Axis Minors... the amount of effort to do even one of those is pretty major since there is very little shared between it and anybody else.

If we do get to a point of diminishing returns we have a simple solution... stop making more Eastern Front products. We killed ourselves making CMBB and the sales did not justify the effort, so we're only going to make the effort if Eastern Fronters are willing to put their money where their mouths are. And if they don't... we will just cater our offerings to the viability of the marketplace. No hard feelings :)

Yes, of course. It's not like we're even physically capable of cranking out all that Eastern Front stuff within a year or two.

Module 1 = Commonwealth Forces within the same timeframe as the original release (i.e. August)

Module 2 = Market Garden for all sides (i.e. September).

Module 3 = Lots of cool stuff that didn't go into the previous three (base + two Modules) releases.

Steve

Thanks for the official line and rationale. I can see many positives with this, like getting updated east front engine with new features more often. As others have pointed out, it's a little less shocking when compared to scope of other games; I guess we were spoilt with CMBB. :)

In Between East Front games, if you dip into modern more often then that will be a bonus too.

Thanks Scott. It's our first, and I'm bricking it obviously :D My time will already be limited with my open university degree (BA in History by the way, encompassing Empire, Heritage, Total War, lots of military angles) and everyday life.

Good luck Phil, and congrats Scott.

My experience is opposite. I get more time doing the night shift with baby on lap so mum can get some sleep. Baby likes CM sounds in background :)