Just when you thought you've seen it all....

Boeman

Along comes this!

Tax dollars at work, indeed.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/30/flying-humvee-a-step-closer-to-reality-still-seems-like-a-reall/

Flying Humvee a step closer to reality, still seems like a really bad idea

100929-transformer-01.jpg

It looks like AAI Corp has, indeed, landed the contract for feasibility studies of the Transformer flying Humvee project, which as far as we can tell takes a lightly armored (if armored at all) four man vehicle and puts it in the air, practically begging to be hit by a rocket-propelled grenade. And if that doesn't sound sketchy enough, keep in mind that among the design considerations are gas tanks in the craft's wings which, as Spencer Ackerman at Wired points out, would make really obvious targets. The testing should last about a year, and cost DARPA a cool $3 million. If all goes well, AAI could have a partial prototype in 2013.

Pretty stupid thumbnail analysis. Lightly or unarmoured? do they mean just like every other light helicopter in the world?

fuel in self-sealing wing tanks is a problem? I guess that makes every other combat aircraft in the world useless too?

And the idea that any ol' grunt will be able to fly them is equally silly.

I doubt there's going to be any need for them so they'll never get built in numbers, but as "blue sky" research into technologies it seems like quite a reasonable idea - right up there with the thousand other aircraft only built as prototypes, research designs or small production runs ever since time began.

Well, if the artist's impression is anything to go by, we'll have developed a means of transfering power without the use of gearboxes or drive shafts. Fantastic stuff.

Nah - old hat for helicopters

And since the system shows a ducted propellor for thrust, the rotor doesn't need a lot of the mechanical stuff that is associated with having to tilt it for that function. There seems plenty of room in the concept drawing for power transfer to me.

ME - yep - it's going to have a pilot, not a driver!!

I cant' se any great advantage from it - it'll be overly complicated, and probably won't do either job as well as a "proper" vehicle of the appropriate type would. So, if it does ever get built, my prediction is as a technology demonstrator impreactical for any "real" use!

This begs the question, why drive when you can fly? So then why bother with the Transformer-like Humvee to chopper. Just go with a light chopper or something. Still gotta train up a chopper pilot either way.

Congratulations. You arrived at the same conclusion I did. And it only took you 13 hours and 27 minutes to do so. You're improving. Still got a long way to go though...

:D

Michael

Congratulations. You arrived at the same conclusion I did. And it only took you 13 hours and 27 minutes to do so. You're improving. Still got a long way to go though...

:D

Michael

Hate to burst your bubble, but I never even read your post. So sad when a poster actually goes through calculating somebody else's post time to theirs. Good ole Emrys, the more he posts the more senile he gets. :D

Nah - And since the system shows a ducted propellor for thrust, the rotor doesn't need a lot of the mechanical stuff that is associated with having to tilt it for that function. There seems plenty of room in the concept drawing for power transfer to me.

ME - yep - it's going to have a pilot, not a driver!!

The rotors are intended to tilt. See the diagram. And they say the FCS is designed for non-rated ground personnel.

The lack of drive shaft is actually because each wheel is driven independently by an internal electric motor.

The tilting for "efficient flight" and "low speed manoeuvrability" means that het full engine power does not have to pass through the tilt mechanism - hence it will be smaller and simpler than one that has to take the whole of the engine power and tilt in order to deliver much of it into thrust. Gimballed hubs are also simply simpler than traditional types - but are harder to make as they require closer tolerances and advanced materials.

Also the mast tilts - which will undoubtedly also off-load complexity from the drive and hub mechanisms.

As for a flight control system (AFC) that allows control by non-rated persons...yeah right.....it might enable someone to keep the thing flying straight and level....but it won't tell them how to land into the wind, what pattern to fly on approach to an uncontrolled landing site, what the "road rules" of the air are, or how to navigate.

It may look a bit like a humvee but I'm sure that the product, if it ever sees hardware, will be something real lightweight and entirely unrelated - maybe carbon fiber, ceramics, plastics, etc.

But behind the concept seems to be the presumption that we will be engaged in these damn asymmetrical wars with strange back country 'furriners for ever. I mean, this is hardly a system that could survive in a war with a first line country - say China. Heck, any country with a half-assed AA system at the troop level could wreak havoc on something like this if caught in its radar or sights.

In the end it seems like another boondoggle. Like others have said, in effect it will end up like the zebra - which was a horse designed by a committee.