Afghanistan manual/game differences?

Erwin

Would be helpful to know what is new in the CM:A game that we need to read up on.

So far, I see there is a new Air Mission "General" and "Personnel" (p98) and a new Arty command "HARASS" (p99), but other than the air and arty, and UNCON sections it would be great to know what else, so one doesn't have to reread the entire manual.

Um.... not sure whether to take the credit for a joke (I don't quite get myself) or... :(

I went through the whole manual and most of it was about the same. The above sections are what I noticed were new/different.

Having had to write and read complex tech and legal docs I just hate having to reread docs that are mostly the same to find a few new items that I need to know about.

And what is the difference between 'General' and 'Personnel':

General - favors unguided HE munitions

Personnel - favors HE munitions

?? Are there any guided HE munitions in CMA and why non-personnel favors unguided munitions?

General is for normal HE rounds that explode when they hit the ground. Personnel is the timed fuse that will explode in the air above the ground thus having lethal effect on infantry in the open or in trenches but having no effect when infantry is in the building.

Re splitting to form scouts. Is that a uniquely Soviet thing? I thought modern CMSF units would do the same. I generally used the Assault split command to create "scouts." Is there something about scouts in CM:A that is really different or is it just nomenclature?

Nope, nothing special, it was just put in there because the CM game engine is constantly being improved and CM:A (which is buily on CM engine) was released later than CMSF :)

General is for normal HE rounds that explode when they hit the ground. Personnel is the timed fuse that will explode in the air above the ground thus having lethal effect on infantry in the open or in trenches but having no effect when infantry is in the building.

I think he means from aircraft... I haven't seen any airbursts from my CAS. I guess it seems to favor lighter munitions, not really sure.

Re splitting to form scouts. Is that a uniquely Soviet thing? I thought modern CMSF units would do the same. I generally used the Assault split command to create "scouts." Is there something about scouts in CM:A that is really different or is it just nomenclature?

From the manual:

The game automatically tries to put solders in a scout team that do not have other responsibilities such as AT Expert, Radioman or Leader. In other words solders that should be able to fight their way out of a bad situation, but that are not as critical (if lost) than others in the Squad.

Can we get this for NATO?

In CMA there is a exit zone (terrain obj, no points, only indirect effect), but the manual does not mention.

Again, the icons become opaque when the units are out of control; is this in the manual?

Actually due to time constraints these did not get reflected in the manual.

Exit zones: they actually have direct effect. If you fail to exit units that you were suppose to your enemy gets points.

Icons opaque - yes when solders go panicking icons go opaque.

Ah, cheers so that has been implemented also for AIR missions? I was aware of this function for Arty missions in CMSF but now it is possible for AIR missions too. Well, I'll try it out! :)

First you determine the intensity of the attack, then you specify what you're trying to hit. Maybe that makes a difference to the Support Asset (like using proximity fuzes), maybe it doesn't. For example, if you have an aircraft with nothing but cannons it doesn't really matter because it's only got one weapon to use. But if you have an aircraft with cannon, rockets, and guided missiles... it's got options.

Steve

MMMM, beginning to doubt my own memory now.

I was quite sure that in CMSF the type of ordnance for AIR missions is selected using 'light, medium, heavy'. Where 'Heavy' will be the same as 'Light' for a cobra with only cannon ammunition, but if it also carries Hellfires then Heavy will choose hellfires and Light will choose cannon.

Can it be that this is different for current Beta testers then for regular customers?

My memory also tells me that in CMSF 'general, personnel, armor' selection was available only for Artillery. Although it would have been good to be able to select between bombs (general) and mavericks/hellfires (armor) for a 'Heavy' misison in CMSF if you have a A10 with both ammunitions and you don't want to use a bomb on a moving tank or a Maverick on a structure. Perhaps that has now been implemented for NATO? :D

Its been a while since I started up CMSF so could be that i'm wrong, I'll try it out later today.

Update: There is NO 'general' / 'personnel' selection in CMSF. Just checked UK Armoured Assault which provides two Harriers. (CMSF + MARINES + BRIT @1.21)

There are only the following options:

- point / area

- Heavy / Medium / Light

- Immediate / 5 min / 10 min / 15 min

May I be so free to conclude that in NATO / CMA we can select ordnance based on there capabilities vs personnel etc? (bombs vs missiles for example)