Animations you'd like to see

Mord

This quote from Steve (in another thread) got me thinking

Animations are definitely something we want to do more with. The problem is finding the animators :( We hope to fix that soon.

Steve

What animations do you think we need added to the game as it stands now? Fixes or new additions.

I know some that I hope will be fixed before Shock Force departs us.

This is one of my biggest niggles, graphic wise...

goofyp.jpg

I'd rather see the guy not carrying anything than see this...

And I'd really like to see the pistol animation for the Syrians...along with a pistol of course. It confuses me when I see a bailed crewman is carrying a rifle and code wise it's only a pistol...plus I think it would look awesome with some commander hammering away with his side arm at an enemy soldier.

And instead of casualties in and on trucks disappearing when they are hit...maybe just have them fall to the ground next to the vehicle...it's an immersion disruptor and also taxes any information you might garner from the knock out.

I am sure you guys have ideas, so fire away.

Mord.

I would like to see better animations for:

- the transition from standing to prone;

- infantry carrying heavy weapons or equipment;

It would be also good to have more variants of common animations (walk, run, man and fire weapons, etc..) in order to give a more natural look to pixeltroops

As Nicdain said slight variations of existing animations. Especially running/walking..they sometimes look like synchronized olympic team going for the gold medal :) Though I'm still amazed from the improvement since CMx1. Also, some panic/routed animation and more erratic movements when the AI decides to abandon a position. More rushed looking, less controlled..Overall it would be nice to make the figures more human and less disciplined uber soldiers.

But I would rate the animations about 8 out of 10. I wouldnt mind if BFC didnt touch them at all. On the other hand 3d World graphics and SFX is the weakest spot of CMx2, would love to see the extra work on eye candy put there.

I respectfully beg to differ. A fair chunk of the CM fanbase wants more "realistic" gore/dismemberment/agony/crispy critters, as well as killable civilians/POWs. The rest are just fine with what's in there now. Steve, obviously, has declared himself firmly in the second camp (as am I).

I also hope to see the WWII doggies/Tommies/landser advancing "bent double, like old beggars under sacks". None of that modern era SWAT team room clearing drill stuff. It looks silly enough when scrawny Syrian reservists do it in CMSF.

I'm also interested in seeing the pixeltruppen wrapped in greatcoats at some point -- can get away without it in Normandy but it's a must have for the Bulge or Russia.

The occasional hand signal (e.g. raised fist for halt, "Vorwarts!") would be neat as well, but I can imagine that could be complicated (i.e. it would look outright silly if a squad under heavy fire did it).

I respectfully beg to differ. A fair chunk of the CM fanbase wants more "realistic" gore/dismemberment/agony/crispy critters, as well as killable civilians/POWs. The rest are just fine with what's in there now. Steve, obviously, has declared himself firmly in the second camp (as am I).

The "hit" animations (because not every guy that goes down is dead) are pretty sanitized I think...so a few variations wouldn't be bad...and I wouldn't mind seeing a few more angles when casualties are lying around.

Some hand signals would be cool...any little touches that break up the across the board animations would be nice. In a perfect game, something customized for each country/force would be awesome.

I am guessing we'll see a good mix of winter clothes once the Bulge comes around...be awesome to have some guys in great coats with some in regular unis.

Mord.

Some things I'd like to see:

-More animations when a unit is stationary but not necessarily in contact with the enemy.

-Better animations for the soldiers manning ATGMs. Right now it looks like they use the stock machine gun animation, which doesn't fit well.

-Forward observers/air controllers, etc., using their binoculars when stationary and/or calling in air/artillery support.

-A little more fluid grenade throwing animation.

-As written above: pistol-firing animations.

-More "cowering" animations than the one "roll to one side" animation we have now. One where the soldier stays prone and puts his head down with both hands on his helmet would be good.

-Secondary weapons (i.e., RPGs, AT4s, etc.) slung on one shoulder.

-The main gun on Soviet tanks and the Challenger elevating after firing a round.

Will there be sound effects for the empty M1 clip CLANK? Is there good reload action following an empty clip?

Some jam clearing/barrel changing action for MGs would be nice.

How about the tap on the helmet from the bazooka loader to the shooter when the round is ready?

Radioman handing the hand set to the SL when arty is being called in?

Needed animations is:

1. For Infantry is - scanning territory animation, i mean for squad, then different soldiers look around for the enemy (may be also binocular animation).

2. For vehicles - shooter at turret scanning 180'o at front, commander at commander sight 360'o around.

3. Pistol animation (Syrians have many PM's).

1. For Infantry is - scanning territory animation, i mean for squad, then different soldiers look around for the enemy (may be also binocular animation).

2. For vehicles - shooter at turret scanning 180'o at front, commander at commander sight 360'o around.

Agreed. Good recommendations.

Pistols.

A better looking dismount (no leap of faith of the tracks more of a controlled exit).

For gun crews a more believable loaders animation (not slamming home another clip in the imaginary AK47).

Visible building damage (could be darkended color, etc, just some indicator that the 105 to the wall face made a difference).

Using vehicles as cover and being able to fight with them (pipe dream) rather than stand helplessly in the open have the troops hug the tank and or use the heavy 50 to add firepower.

No gore, no more violence just people falling over in a few more different ways/directions so they don't look like syncronised dancers.

(Funny feeling I've had this conversation before :P)

More flavour animations in general add allot to the atmosphere but ofcourse all these animations take time and would be left untill after everything else is done.

Animations are very expensive, and difficult, to make. The primary reason is that there must be all sorts of transitions between them, with various weapons, for various LODs, etc. We have thousands of animations in CMx2 already, but obviously most of them are quite subtle or taken for granted.

What this means is if you guys gave us a list of 100 animations that we agreed with, we'd still maybe get to 2 or 3 of them each major release. Animations are the bane of game developers.

Steve

Animations are very expensive, and difficult, to make. The primary reason is that there must be all sorts of transitions between them, with various weapons, for various LODs, etc. We have thousands of animations in CMx2 already, but obviously most of them are quite subtle or taken for granted.

What this means is if you guys gave us a list of 100 animations that we agreed with, we'd still maybe get to 2 or 3 of them each major release. Animations are the bane of game developers.

Steve

I think I can speak for a lot of us when I say we don't take any of them for granted...'specially after the Larry Moe And Curly synchronized two step...Really, what it is, is you guys are a victim of your success. We love 90% or more of what we see so much, our imaginations go into over drive! I wish I had a million bucks to donate to this cause.

If nothing else were to happen animation wise, with CMSF, I'd be content with cleaning up the stuff I mentioned...at least fixing the ATGM and adding the pistol...in the end it would be polishing up of some unfinished business.

Mord.

P.S. Could Normandy animations that would suit CMSF be retrofitted (such as the binoculars?) or is it too much work? Or is the code too different? Do we have any animation surprises from Nato?