Requests and Ramblings

Requests and Ramblings

I LOVE CM:SF. I'm an avid gamer, both PC and console. I have thousands of dollars worth of games and a beast of a PC. I have varied tastes and play games of all kinds. This all changed when I found CM:SF. I've spent a ridiculous amount of time moving my guys through various parts of Syria. I've bought the expansions and have been trying to push the game on anyone who will listen to me talk about it. I've been playing CM:SF steadily since the base game was released. I'm eagerly awaiting the NATO module and am most excited for CM:Afg.

I've written down some thoughts and requests about/for the game. I want to say that if the game stays exactly the way it is I will continue to neglect my girlfriend and other responsibility's to play. BF could break the game and remove features and I would still play. The points I bring up are all minor but I thought since the community here is pretty open and nice to each other I would at least put out there what I'm thinking about the game.

If any of these are covered in other threads please feel free to call me out. I've been lurking on the forums for a long time but have rarely posted and I'm sure I've missed some of these topics being discussed before.

Arrow Keys & Battle/Scenario Selection

I'd like to be able to scroll down the map list with the arrow keys, hitting enter to select and start the map load.

Scalable Menus?

The font in the briefings is pretty small for me at the higher resolution I play at and can't be read without me putting my nose to the screen.

Who Can See This Point?

I like being able to select an enemy unit and having my own units highlighted that can currently see the enemy. What I'd like to be able to do is put my cursor somewhere on the ground and have my own units highlighted that can target that piece of ground.

Killed By AAR/Review Map

I would LOVE to have the option of seeing who was killed by what once the mission is over. Either show the information when dead bodies are selected or even have a log that can be viewed that shows something like "Team 1, Sgt. James kills Team 2, Pvt. Smith with HMG at 20:21". I'm a RT player and sometimes it's hard to catch what just took out my AAV. I wouldn't want to see any of this information during the actual game play as that would feel cheap. Knowing if I took out that ATGM squad with my area fire tank shells or my artillery strikes would be nice. This is my main request.

Stop RT Sounds With Game Pause

Pretty much sums it up. Pause all sounds when the game pauses. Currently if a sound plays like an incoming helicopter and the game is paused, the helicopter flyby sounds continues to play out.

Map information/author info

I'd like to see more information displayed about the different maps like the author, play time and weather conditions. Currently that info is displayed via icons next to the map picture and the other information is only there if the author has included it in the text. The icons look nice but I'd rather have some easy to read text.

Thanks for reading this far and thanks in advance for any replies.

I really love this forum. While I haven't talked directly to anyone here I still feel like I'm part of a group who is able to openly discuss in a civil manner the game(s) we all share in common. The forum regulars have consistently made me laugh and I've also learned LOTS.

Thanks,

Dustin

Arrow Keys & Battle/Scenario Selection

I'd like to be able to scroll down the map list with the arrow keys, hitting enter to select and start the map load.

Thanks,

Dustin

Even better would be the ability to use the mouse wheel to scroll through the saves/scenarios. Then just a double click to load it would be ideal. While we're at it, would be great to have the ability to delete save games from within the game. As it is now you gotta navigate to the folder manually outside of the game.

I like being able to select an enemy unit and having my own units highlighted that can currently see the enemy.
This is already in the game but is loss at the higher difficulty settings. It's the main reason I play on vet level.

Killed By AAR/Review Map
A unit's kill total is very much requested, especially since it was there for the older CMx1 games. The more detailed stats you mention would be nice though. It would certainly be easier to add than the often-wished for RT 30 second or 1 minute rewind feature. Since this is the only negative thing about playing in RT, missing things all too often.

I think this would be huge, practically making turn-based obsolete, at least outside of PBEM.

Thanks for the reply MeatEtr.

This is already in the game but is loss at the higher difficulty settings. It's the main reason I play on vet level.

Right, what I'm saying is like and use this feature and it's also the main reason I play on vet difficulty. What I'd like to see is the option to click on an open space of empty ground and have units able to hit that point be highlighted, just like they would be if there was an enemy there.

Deleting save games from within the game would great as would the mouse wheel support.

Ahh ok, I understand now, you were using that as an example or description. So in other words, rather than manually checking a bunch of units separate LOS to a target. We could just check it all at the same time. I'm all for that, I'm sure most would be.

For now you can group highlight multiple units and give a target order, those that have LOS will fire and others won't. Although you probably already knew that.

A more detailed AAR / stats would be wonderful for CMSF. Is there any chance at all of this happening?? It seems like such would have been a "given" going into CMSF. That it hasn't been addressed in any of the expansions makes be think it won't ever happen....

Also a little more variety......(not modding, by the community per say)... But with the loyal customer base who has already purchased CSMF-Marines- UK, etc.... It would be nice if BFC would throw out a variety pack of outfitted units. That we could then purchase / place within user made scenarios. I would like to be able to outfit smaller ReCon units with "explosives" for example.... Or give small squad units more firepower....... I see no harm if BFC would simply throw out a variety of units put together by them (instead of a modding community) that just provides so more variety for all the customers to work with....

More STATS...lets all chant it to drive the magic makers mad....tis the only way....

More STATS......More STATS

Oh forget it.....well don't forget it...just forget the chant....not the Stats...Stats are what we want...

Scalable Menus? Dear God, yes. None of us are getting any younger and staring at a computer screen for 2-3 hours each day isn't going to improve the situation.

Kill Stats - probably the one thing we'd all like to see. Unfortunately, I doubt very much we'll see them in CMSF but we can all hope for Normandy and every title after that. I doubt we'll see them in quite as much detail as that though :)

Stop the sound in RT when you pause? Yes, that would be useful too although I can live with it. I don't know how easy it would be to interrupt that sound file once it gets started.

More map info - I have to confess that I never look at these icons when I'm choosing a scenario to play, except for the force size icon - five men in that box and I'm not playing it. I usually put my name at the end of a scenario description but there are a lot of folks who don't. I'm probably just a bit more conceited than the other designers in the community though so I wouldn't call for this to be a standard :D

Requests and Ramblings

Who Can See This Point?

I like being able to select an enemy unit and having my own units highlighted that can currently see the enemy. What I'd like to be able to do is put my cursor somewhere on the ground and have my own units highlighted that can target that piece of ground.

Thanks,

Dustin

I like your ideas. This one is my favorite. I wonder if it could be done.

If we can't get more AAR "stats".....It would be nice if we could simply have it where when a soldier dies within a unit....his slot (within the unit) simply turns red or brown, some ID color to show he is no longer part of the active unit....but that he was THERE at the start. Now how it works, where the guy just completely drops from the unit list isn't helpful at all. And doesn't allow for you to (in a reasonable fashion) know exactly which units have lost which men.

Who Can See This Point?

It could even be taken a step farther; instead of what units can see this point highlight terrain and unit that have LOS to this point.

It could even be taken a step farther; instead of what units can see this point highlight terrain and unit that have LOS to this point.

I had thought of that when I read his suggestion and I am pretty sure that has been brought up before. There are a couple of things that would probably make that unlikely.

I could be dead wrong but, from a programming/coding point of view the mechanism may already be in place for AkumaSDs idea because it isn't very different from what the game is already capable of doing when you select an enemy unit.

The other difference is when selecting a point and showing every part of the map with an LOS to it the game is going through many more calculations then it does if you select a point and it traces LOS to just the friendly units on the map.