When one can of stone chip remover is not going to be enough

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The car was parked on the other side of the road when the FOB gonnie fell onto it from above. The collapsed roof held the car to the stone while the rotational velocity of the stone caused the wreck to roll across the road and end up where the photo shows it.

Or Sinbad was driving home and the Roc had excellent aim.

I haven't the slightest interest in challenges and will always accept the easy way. Sock it to me.

Excellent!

Elmar used the original file name, which can be readily obtained with the webbrowser:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4927/rotsblok02.jpg

Google "rotsblok02.jpg" and you get only one hit:

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/foto/2010/04/rotsblok_vs_toyota_yaris.html

Voila!

Best regards,

Thomm

Here's an article in English.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-world/2010/04/11/now-that-s-a-stone-chip-115875-22177419/

In my defence, I posted then looked for an English version, so the feeble joke in the title wasn't copied from The Mirror. The downside is that I would appear to stoop to their level all on my own. :)

What a cargo not to secure it properly. I think the driver is going to face a bit more then merely paying damages.

Thanks to everyone who made me crack a smile, some good ones.

Clearly, that is not a rock. It is, in fact, an oversized fruit from the tree on the right. The car nudged into the tree at about 2km/h, and the shock was enough to dislodge the fruit. What happened next should be obvious.

Which is precisely why I never plant stone fruit trees near where I park my car. Silly landscapers.

And why the flying monkey poo am I now imported? I am fecking domestic! As evident by my ability to use the loo and the selection of beer in my fridge..Coors and Racer 5.

And why the flying monkey poo am I now imported? I am fecking domestic! As evident by my ability to use the loo and the selection of beer in my fridge..Coors and Racer 5.

We regret to inform you, that you will only obtain domestic status once you have passed fumigation and submitted phytosanitary certificate.

Excellent!

Elmar used the original file name, which can be readily obtained with the webbrowser:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4927/rotsblok02.jpg

Google "rotsblok02.jpg" and you get only one hit:

http://www.spitsnieuws.nl/archives/foto/2010/04/rotsblok_vs_toyota_yaris.html

Voila!

Actually I did get that far on my own. Unfortunately, I don't read Dutch all that well, so it was of no help to me. Elmar's subsequent post cleared things up. So my guess was right. Wouldn't have thought of it except that I have seen these things being hauled around before. At first glance they look distinctly odd, but some people want a really big rock on their lawn and the quarries are happy to oblige...for a price of course.

And then there is the occasional sculptor...

Michael

It seems this is only the beginning of a large scale attack of the rocks:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7720898.stm

Soon, whole mountains and earth itself will turn against us.

WE'RE DOOMED!!!

Several years ago my state passed a law banning construction of homes at the bottom of bluffs subject to mudslides. If we have unusually heavy rains, the ground becomes saturated and unstable. Then away she goes! Something similar happens in Southern California on the hillsides, I have read. Yet people there insist on building multi-million dollar homes in slide areas, which then get swept away every couple of decades or so. People are daft.

Michael

Actually I did get that far on my own. Unfortunately, I don't read Dutch all that well, so it was of no help to me.

Okay, that was stupid of me then.

Certainly, I do not know one word of Dutch myself, but the similarity to German is so strong that I could translate it to German more or less verbatim.

Best regards,

Thomm

Okay, that was stupid of me then.

That would be over-stating it. Well intentioned but misguided perhaps.

Certainly, I do not know one word of Dutch myself, but the similarity to German is so strong that I could translate it to German more or less verbatim.

I am in somewhat the same boat. Not that I know German all that well either, but sometimes enough that I can guess the general meaning of a sentence or two here and there. So it is with Dutch. A word here or there will resemble a German word I recognize or even an English word. And of course there is usually somewhere in the paragraph a reference to beer, some variant of which is present in all languages.

:D

Michael

Just to bum the thread out, a friend of mine got killed in a very similar accident. Rather than an unsecured rock it was a 3-ton bale of wool that tumbled off the truck. She was travelling in the opposite direction.

I spent most of a two-and-a-half decade stretch of my life hitchhiking through timber country. Standing at the side of the road with my thumb out getting passed by logging trucks with their big loads, I couldn't totally avoid the creepy fantasy of what it would be like if their chains came loose and their loads fell in my direction. Every once in a while, one of those trucks would indeed lose a load. I am happy to report that none of those incidents occurred in my vicinity.

Michael

I suppose it's too late for this regarding the original photo?

Before the photo was taken, the driver was driving with great gusto, hitting the apex on curves, masses of gear changes to keep the engine in the sweet spot, generally having a great time. But he wanted to see what his limits were.

So he grew a little bolder - and the rest is history.

I spent most of a two-and-a-half decade stretch of my life hitchhiking through timber country. Standing at the side of the road with my thumb out getting passed by logging trucks with their big loads, I couldn't totally avoid the creepy fantasy of what it would be like if their chains came loose and their loads fell in my direction. Every once in a while, one of those trucks would indeed lose a load. I am happy to report that none of those incidents occurred in my vicinity.

Michael

You sure you're memory isn't failing you? I would assume they would have been horse & dray rather than "trucks".

Regards

KR

You sure you're memory isn't failing you? I would assume they would have been horse & dray rather than "trucks".

Regards

KR

Also, I understand that Moses led his people through the wilderness for 40 years, not 25.

Listen, if you think it's fun being stuck in the desert with a bunch of whiny brats ("When are we going to get there?" "This manna is just like the manna we had yesterday and the day before!") for 40 years, you try it sometime. I tell you, there were plenty of times I wished I hadn't parted the waters.

Michael