Virus Alert

There is a possible viral email that was sent to BF subscribers this AM. The email invites you to disable your virus software and click on a link to down load a new BF client. Don't click on any links in this email. There is a thread started here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=91481 in the General discussion forum if you want more information .....

I think I was lucky - I got the email (on a gmail account) while using my Mac.

By the time the email was deleted - I had clicked on the link to go to the "battlefront" site and it had downloaded this little puppy 5 times onto my computer before I left the site.

However, vmware was running XP at the time, and while I thought that wouldn't be a problem, when I went over to the windows vm it was shutting itself down? Highly unlikely (and highly sophisiticated if true) but I'll do further checking.

I had found that offer very suspicious and had sent immediately an email to Martin from BTF asking if it was a spam as I presumed. He replied right away.

Meanwhile, I had click on the "Here" link to see what it was about and when I saw the Exe file shown on the download window of Google Chrome, I shut it down right away.

A detailed full scan of the HDD didn't show anything. I hope that file, if it has been activated had not a time trigger.

The firewall and all the rest was activated, that might have save me the day.

Looks like BTF should include in their next game patch of CMSF an Informatic war option to attack Command & Control C2 softwares and disable the pixels troups of their coms

Without kidding, that is taken very seriously by all modern armies and specially in Afghanistan. They have some high tech units (they don't have to be there) taking care of that risk.

Let's hope not too many will be afflicted by that mess.

As far as we know the virus EXE hasn't caused any problems. FORTUNATELY the hacker put it on our own server to give it a facade of legitimacy. Martin deleted this file within about an hour of the first person receiving the hacker's email. This means that the ONLY people that were at risk of infection are the people who opened and successfully downloaded (and ran) the linked EXE very soon after receipt of the email. Anybody who received the email and clicked on it later would not be at risk because the file to download had already been removed.

Obviously we have no idea how many people may have actually downloaded the file and run it, but we suspect the number to be extremely small percentage of our customer base. Thankfully you guys tipped us off quickly and Martin responded immediately.

Steve

I think I was lucky - I got the email (on a gmail account) while using my Mac.

By the time the email was deleted - I had clicked on the link to go to the "battlefront" site and it had downloaded this little puppy 5 times onto my computer before I left the site.

However, vmware was running XP at the time, and while I thought that wouldn't be a problem, when I went over to the windows vm it was shutting itself down? Highly unlikely (and highly sophisiticated if true) but I'll do further checking.

That is really worrying. So the vXP box was shutting down? As in exiting gracefully or crashed?

Would you post what you learn about it?

Can't believe I fell for it myself... Saw it, looked legit, thought it a cool idea finally, downloaded it but waited on install. Installed it and total system take over, over 100 viruses, disabled my virus protection, firewall, and all... I couldn't get the system back under control... so shut it down and reformatted completely.

(Lucky for me all my pics, music, documents...that I'm done with get backed up to an external HD, that is only connected for the back up... so all I lost was my game installs, and my completed with screens and video Kursk 43 review, lol.)

Lesson learned, but now when I want those eLienses back battlefront, you'll know why.

Are you sure those were actual viruses and not fakes? I am asking because there is a nasty "virus" out there that fakes a lot of viruses in order to get you to buy their "anti-virus solution". Google "Windows Vista Internet Security" or something like that. It doesn't really do much to your system as such, but it's nasty to get it removed and it does take over control because it essentially restarts whenever your want to run anything on your PC.

I have three different accounts with battlefront.com which I set up because in the early days of the repository I kept getting locked out with downloads limits due to downloads stopping before complete. All three had the dodgy email sent to them.

Luckily I'd already noticed the site was down and I did some investigating and fortunately people were out there posting warnings on various forums about the fake email.

I probably wouldn't have installed it as I usually avoid anything that claims to make my life easier by automating processes for me, I like to stay in control of my pc.

Thanks to those folk who put the warnings out.

It's good to know that a combination of luck and diligence helped keep the virus spread small. The bastard put the download file on our website specifically to tip the balance of caution most people have towards believing it was legit. The upside of that since the link went directly to a file we could delete, at least we could put a stop to it. If the email linked to an outside website it would be impossible to get rid of it.

Steve