battlefront_client.exe ??

Same here. Body of email text:

Battlefront Press Release 23 March 2010 --- We are proudly presenting new update client for all games from battlefront for FREE. You can download client here. Turn off your antivirus, as it could recognize it as spam or virus because of high encryption. --- View an online version of this newsletter here: --- Click Here to confirm that you wish to unsubscribe

When logging in a battlefront.exe tried to run unannounced. Looks VERY fishy to me.

Bertram

Relax guys, it's the battlefront toolbar, good to be cautious though. From the main page, mouse over "Comms" and then click on the "Toolbar" option. It's the same thing as in the email. Although I don't use it myself, no real reason too.

I would caution anyone from downloading anything until it is cleared by someone from BFC.

I do NOT have the toolbar installed. When I opened the webpage, an unknown program battlefront.exe tried to run, without asking anything. I dont think this is legitime, and when it is, it would be VERY sloppy from Battlefront.

And then there is the newsletter, with language errors, the large FREE on it and no pictures as Battlefront usually does in their newsletter.

And this is NOT announced on the front page - and they do send a newsletter around? I still dont believe it is legit.

I do NOT have the toolbar installed. When I opened the webpage, an unknown program battlefront.exe tried to run, without asking anything. I dont think this is legitime, and when it is, it would be VERY sloppy from Battlefront.

And then there is the newsletter, with language errors, the large FREE on it and no pictures as Battlefront usually does in their newsletter.

And this is NOT announced on the front page - and they do send a newsletter around? I still dont believe it is legit.

Are you using the links from the email or just coming here normally like from your favorites list? If you are indeed coming here normally and it's still trying to get you to download it then that is very abnormal.

I vaguely remember this kind of reaction happening before when they updated the toolbar or something. But yeah as Sergie said, don't take my word for it. We'll hear from BF soon enough.

There's another thread about this in the CMSF Tech Support forum: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1186960#post1186960

I did the retarded thing and and clicked the link and now I've got a virus. :(

Try not to be as stupid as me and delete this mail instead.

Sadly your probably not the only one that did this. Just don't forget to post details about what exactly it is and how you got rid of it.

I did the retarded thing and and clicked the link and now I've got a virus. :(

Try not to be as stupid as me and delete this mail instead.

I got the same email but there were no links to click on for me. It didnt look like anything that I had ever gotten from BF so I came here to check it out. sorry to hear you got zapped .... :)

Thanks for the heads up.I just got rid of a nasty virus not to long ago.A very updated one at that.I had to take out my hard drive and bring it to a friends so he could use his virus scanners to fix it of of his drive.Its gone now, but I still can't use Internet Explorer,i have to use Firefox and Google chrome and i do get glitch's from time to time,nothing serious.If Another Virus gets on this PC,I bet i will have to reinstall everything.Good thing I check the forums first before i check the Email.

For future reference, would BF ever send anything like this in Emails?I don't remember getting anything but the info needed for the product i purchased, or a new password for the forums.So when I saw this Email it seemed out of place and out of character.

If you haven't specifically subscribed for the newsletter you shouldn't receive it.

Also, the e-mail was suspicious for other reasons as well. For instance, it referred to themselves as 'battlefront' instead of Battlefront.com. And there was of course no substance other than it's free. Quite amateurish, actually. If I did this I would have said it's CM Normandy beta demo or something...

Affie,

I don't think you're in any risk by what you wrote. There was a Trojan/virus on the site, but it was deleted within an hour. Soon after that the whole site went under maintenance. So it was gone by that time. Also, in all likelihood you would have been prompted to download the file, and if you didn't you weren't harmed.

Just to mention the best version of Unbuntu comes out at the end of April v10.4 and that can load as another OS. This gives redundancy capability for your computer as Firefox etc will be included and you can load Windoze for emulating PC for Word 2007 etc.

I am not a Linux fan boy but it seems silly not to upload the most complete system yet to allow your self some safety. I am not techy but I imagine browsing in Linux Firefox would mean your M$ system is safe. o doubt someone can clarify that.

linky

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/03/23/ubuntu-10-4-beta-is-bloody-brilliant/

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/lucid/beta1

For future reference, would BF ever send anything like this in Emails?

No, not ever. For one, sending exe files in an email is a bad bad idea in the first place. Exe files get scanned and stripped by many email clients out there, even if there is no detectable virus in them.

Update: The reformat worked and I can no longer find any traces of the virus on my computer. yay! ^^

I'll probably avoid using my computer when I'm tired enough to open strange links in a mail without thinking twice.

Glad to hear that it worked. Sorry for the problems this caused. We'll try to make up for it :)

No, not ever. For one, sending exe files in an email is a bad bad idea in the first place. Exe files get scanned and stripped by many email clients out there, even if there is no detectable virus in them.

Gmail for instance doesn't allow exe files, and iirc I have that account given to Battlefront.

I was surprised when I saw your site down, hope you fix everything soon.

Bty when I got to your site and said it was under mantainance it asked for the username and password, I didn't dare introducing mine, that was yesterday march 24th.