Played CMBO, waiting for CM:N - CMSF for practice?

Its been many many moons since i played CMBO and disappeared from the gaming world for CMBB and CMAK - and cant say that the original CMSF grabbed me - but now with the onset of CM:N i cant tell you what the prospect of playing CMSF in a WW2 enviroment is doing to me - i have watched band of brothers again, watch SPR again - im ready for some Corentan action anyday now - BUT should i play CMSF to get used to the mechanics - im a very conservative player it will be a WEGO job zoomed all the way in (similar to the guy doing the 'best moments from CMSF' thread, play the turn over and over again for all the dramatic diaramas and theatre you miss without taking the time to study the turn, anyway..........) and wondered if having only experienced Ye Olde CMBO i should use my last unspent Christmas funds on CMSF and the free marines module?

If you just played CMBO, you will have to bridge two gaps. The first is big. It's the gap between CMBO and CMBB/AK. It's mostly about the correct simulation of infantry weapons.

The second is huuuge. It's about new engine, more detail, more realism etc. It took a year for me before I was used to CMSF. But I also had to understand modern warfare first.

I would recommend to practice at least with the CMSF demo to learn all the new engine basics. Especially if you plan to play pbem (which is the 'grand' game mode for CM games, because here all the wargamers of the planet meet at the virtual battlefields. But you have to know what you are doing, if you want to have at least the chance of a chance). You don't need to buy CMSF + the moduls, if you are not interested in modern tactics at all. But you could do it nevertheless to support battlefront for producing the best tactical WW2 wargames we will see in the next years.

I personally found out for me, that I even like the modern setting more, because it is more unpredictable, more deadly and more complicated. I would say, those who have mastered CMSF + it's modules to the point to be able to win 50% of their pbem against human opponents, will have it easier to win their coming CMx2 WW2 pbem against 'only WW2 wargamers'.

undercovergeek

if you are planning on creating missions of your own to play using the scenario editor then I would strongly recommend you start learning with the CMSF game. It will give you plenty of time to learn how to draw maps and create AI plans etc and that would be time well spent.

Otherwise, a lot depends on how you feel about fighting in the Modern Era. There are some terrific scenarios available to play nowadays that present you with a REAL challenge playing as BLUE. However, to access some of them, you'll need to buy at least one of the modules.

Glad you posted:

I actually agree with both the "play CMSF" and "don't bother group". Dyed in the wool WW2 people may find one shot, one kill tanks and ATGM's just not that much fun, so if that's you why persecute yourself. BUT:

the game is entirely different than CMx1...play some red on red scen and get comfortable with the editor. At the very least it'll lower the learning curve.

If you do decide to give CMSF a whirl:

Sounds like you own the base copy of CMSF. You'll want to invest a buck and get the V1.21 patch.

I agree with MarkEzra. When we made CM:SF we did NOT make it for the WW2 gamers, therefore it's never been surprising to us that so few WW2 gamers have had little interest in it. There are some, however, that found that they do. But they're the exception. The people we did make CM:SF for are... drum roll... the people who are interested in contemporary warfare. I know, it's kind of strange logic to target a game for the people who will want to play it, but we're strange that way :D

The point is don't try and force CM:SF if you're really not into modern warfare. Give it a shot, sure, that I'd recommend. As I've said, some people have been VERY surprised that they like modern warfare.

I also agree with Smaragdadler that if someone didn't move beyond CMBO that CM: Normandy is going to be quite the shocking experience :) CMBO and CMAK were very different from each other, CMAK and CM:SF even more different. Therefore, the difference between CMBO and CM:Normandy will be huge.

Not that it matters since one does not have to ever have played CMBO to purchase and enjoy CM: Normandy.

Steve

I agree with MarkEzra. When we made CM:SF we did NOT make it for the WW2 gamers, therefore it's never been surprising to us that so few WW2 gamers have had little interest in it. There are some, however, that found that they do. But they're the exception. The people we did make CM:SF for are... drum roll... the people who are interested in contemporary warfare. I know, it's kind of strange logic to target a game for the people who will want to play it, but we're strange that way :D

The point is don't try and force CM:SF if you're really not into modern warfare. Give it a shot, sure, that I'd recommend. As I've said, some people have been VERY surprised that they like modern warfare.

I also agree with Smaragdadler that if someone didn't move beyond CMBO that CM: Normandy is going to be quite the shocking experience :) CMBO and CMAK were very different from each other, CMAK and CM:SF even more different. Therefore, the difference between CMBO and CM:Normandy will be huge.

Not that it matters since one does not have to ever have played CMBO to purchase and enjoy CM: Normandy.

Steve

thanks for everyones advice - im trying to weigh up whether it really is about buying the game and playing it and enjoying it, or im mistakenly thinking that this is as close as im going to get to CM:N until CM:N is released and im trying to justify it that way!!!

Im not a HUGE fan of modern combat, but its not necessarily about that - i am a HUGE fan of squad based combat and tactics and this is clearly the best example of that - no worries i suppose im just asking the community to be my conscience while i impatiently wait for CM:N......

I take it your not going the original way of Matrix by suggesting that one cannot buy CM:N until youve bought CMBO and played it like with War in the Pacific? :)

I had to come back to state the obvious: whether you buy CMSF or CMN or not, you should get CM Barbarossa to Berlin if you have even a fledgling interest in East Front (and you should have!). In fact you should have bought it 7 years ago, but it's still unique. Where else do you get to wipe out companies of Iosif Stalin 3's with Finnish BT-42's AND witness the exciting duels between PzKpfw I and Klimenti Voroshilov 2? :D

bought the basic package - brilliant - just what i was looking for - ive only played 3 turns but im zoomed in, im wego-ing and im wincing at the casualties i just took on the bridge - very immersive - excellent - didnt think modern combat would do it for me but its excellent - and has stoked the CM:N fires all the more - one question - i can only ever get my camera angle to be behind and above my forces - some screen shots i have seen here seem to be basically on the floor behind the troops - i can never seem to get the camera that low to the ground - any advice?

bought the basic package - brilliant - just what i was looking for - ive only played 3 turns but im zoomed in, im wego-ing and im wincing at the casualties i just took on the bridge - very immersive - excellent - didnt think modern combat would do it for me but its excellent - and has stoked the CM:N fires all the more - one question - i can only ever get my camera angle to be behind and above my forces - some screen shots i have seen here seem to be basically on the floor behind the troops - i can never seem to get the camera that low to the ground - any advice?

Hit the "1" key. :) The number buttons (at the top of the keyboard, I don't know if the numpad does this) automatically move the camera to a number of pre-set heights.

i can only ever get my camera angle to be behind and above my forces

Camera controls are among the most different from CMBO but also what you'll be praising CMSF the most for once you're used to them. :D

I suggest entirely abandoning keyboard controls for mouse control.

Cursor in center of the screen: Left click-and-hold mouse then move the cursor up and around the screen face to move forward/back/left/right. Right click-and-hold mouse then move the cursor up and around the screen face to look up/down and around. It becomes VERY intuitive VERY fast.