Syria in Google (What's this?)

bardosy

Judging by the way shadows fall throughout the surrounding image, I wager it is a depression or excavation of some kind. The material taken out of this excavation appears to be piled up directly to the north of the channel, again judging by the shadows. What the structures are that can be seen inside the 'canal', I have no idea.

EDIT: Beat me again, Thomm. Cheers!

bardosy,

If you look at the buildings, they're casting shadows, but this isn't. To me, it looks like an open storm drain or similar, one apparently made up of or lined with concrete mats. That said, if you follow it over to the right and down, to where it intersects the highway, just to the left of the highway it appears to be more of a large concrete pipe, but resolution is way too low to tell for sure.

Regards,

John Kettler

My guess is some sort of man made 'wadi'. They are quite common in Syria as far as I can gather from google earth and often extend for hundreds of km.

I can't make head nor tail of them though, they often have concrete stuctures in them that look like pipes or walls but they don't go anywhere.

Hard to say is the picture was probably taken just before noon (sun is coming from high angle, slightly left of center).

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=36.154916,37.018894&spn=0.00295,0.004823&z=18

It's a very strange and useless wall if it's a wall.... shadows where there are shadows are strange, it might be roofed at points (weird for a canal or maybe I got it wrong). Pretty sure it's no wall though.

Part of a smiler "thing" to the west: a tunnel entrance or shift from dirt to concrete canal?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=36.152326,37.024543&spn=0.00295,0.004823&z=18

Goes under the road

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=36.147925,37.029918&spn=0.00295,0.004823&z=18

Strange shadows since they're on both ends of that whatever that is:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=36.150966,37.011046&spn=0.00295,0.004823&z=18

Dirt road goes over it here

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=36.140361,37.000875&spn=0.00295,0.004823&z=18

Goes under road... covered on other side?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=36.1358,36.983124&spn=0.00295,0.004823&z=18

Anyway, you managed to find something very strange. I would say under construction drainage canal, unless I'm missing something. It could be an underground railway being built to move ICBMs too :D .

The people on this forum are right.

It is a Canal in the making.

Zoom out and keep moving east.You will see a big city there called Najrab or i think that's it's name anyway.At the EAST end of the city you will see an airport.

You can't miss it, it has 2 long runways.

Near the airport South East you will see the same kind of terrain and design of the canal in the making as the one your all taking about.

Continue going East or follow the path and not far you will see the Canal with water in it.

Seems like they are making a canal from the east to past the city and some small towns and end up in croplands to the west.Looks like a big landscaping project and i suspect the picture is old so they must have done a lot more work on it.

Zoom out and keep moving east.You will see a big city there called Najrab or i think that's it's name anyway.At the EAST end of the city you will see an airport.

This big city is Aleppo. Not Najrab.

I checked that airport and I found a lot of MiG-23 waiting for upgrade.

My friend - who is an airplane mechanic (and CMBB fan) - told me, there is a fighter repair facility at Aleppo Airport... ;) I will put this - as an objective - in my next campaign... :D

Image linked in OP: I couldn't tell based on the link. The blocks could be to utilize the canal path, but to place some pipes/wiring above any possible water. Also, a lot of newer water diversion canals now have blocks placed along the path so the water flow does not get too powerful.

Ken

bardosy thanks for the correction,Aleppo was the city i was referring to.

Aleppo seems to be a very interesting city.South West of the airport there's what seems to be a water plant.West of the airport there's an ancient citadel in the middle of the city with a mosque near it, also East to that are a couple stadiums and a whole lot of other stuff scattered around.

It would be a good challenge to secure Aleppo in a small campaign.Its got multiple important objectives to secure and keep intact and those areas would make for some interesting firefights.

bardosy what mod are you making the mission for?Army,Marines or Brits?

@souldierz:

I did an Aleppo mission before (in my TF Narwick campaign) but in that time (it's very early, when CMSF base game released) a lot of player blame me, because of dense urban area... :) (most of CPUs didn't show so much buildings).

Now, I will do a new Aleppo mission.

I'm working on a British campaign. First two missions are done (but there are a few mission before Aleppo... :)

Thanks for asking. Do you want beta-test?

I remember playing TF Narwick campaign a long time ago.I actually have it and was going to try it again with the 1.21 patch.

I can't remember details about the campaign at the moment,but i remember that i really enjoyed that campaign and wanted to play it again.I do think there was 1 mission that was unplayable for me,because there was to many reinforcements and my computer was lagging bad.

Bardosy, TF Narwick campaign was very well done.I liked how you tied it in with the main story line.It was very interesting to play out the same war only in a different part of the country with true to life maps.Campaigns like that help bring the war story of invading Syria to a whole and makes me want to pay attention to the hypothetical situation even more.Great work all around in map making,mission design and story line.

Ive never beta tested anything before and might have took your beta testing offer,but i don't have the Brits yet.I might pick them up in the future and when i do, i guarantee I'll keep my eyes out for your campaign.Thanks for the offer.

Good to see a creator of a what i thought to be a very good campaign, make another.

• 4 weeks later...