Sniper Team Idea

c3k

Gents,

I small idea occurred to me. The sniper teams cause a bit of frustration when the security/spotting element opens fire when they shouldn't. This gives away the team position and invites a response which often has a deleterious effect.

How about coding them to only fire when under attack? That would prevent them opening up on a target which the sniper has lined up. A covered arc or target light command would ONLY apply to the sniper. Target would still be a command for everyone to open up. Otherwise, the spotter/security element would only spot and, er, provide security.

Thoughts?

Ken

You think? What a novel idea. While we are at it. Code it so teams with AT assets don't go firing everything they have a two guys on a balcony, so when the BMP come rolling in, you have nothing to take them, out with. I also hate seeing two javelins streak across the sky at one target playing Brits. What a waste. I would be nice to just choose one Javelin guy instead of both firing away.

The answer to you sniper question is set your teams fire arc to be really really short, so basically they won't fire at anything, until you clear that arc and target your foes regularly.

The answer to you sniper question is set your teams fire arc to be really really short, so basically they won't fire at anything, until you clear that arc and target your foes regularly.

Ok, but can you please explain how that adresses the problem of the spotting/security element opening fire?

I know I haven't been playing the game long and so my experience is limited, but it seems to me that using the target command with snipers actually aggravates the problem of over- enthusiatic spotters.

You think? What a novel idea. While we are at it. Code it so teams with AT assets don't go firing everything they have a two guys on a balcony, so when the BMP come rolling in, you have nothing to take them, out with. I also hate seeing two javelins streak across the sky at one target playing Brits. What a waste. I would be nice to just choose one Javelin guy instead of both firing away.

Split the javelin section into teams - 1 launcher in each team...

Interesting question... I'm highly supporting for implementing heavy and light cover arches. heavy and light indicating what weapons they would use. There are lots of cases where i really would like them to either use their fire more heavily or less heavily. But i can live without it. Cover arches are best for spotting, ambushing and overwatching jobs, when firefight is started i tend to use just face commands and let them to pick targets on their own. In turn-based mode using cover arches has backfired quite often.

a light cover arc could also sort out the missing armor arc. for tanks that means not wasting X rounds of HE/HEAT on a single guy running away wich is not hitable due to lay of the land anyways. or ATGM´s opening up with their first missile on a lousy scout team and giving themselfs away.

but there must be some sort of problem to implement this...otherwhise i dont see why a cover armor arc is still missing. maybe there is no room in the current UI for it, i dont know why this is missing.

To clarify, I think the only weapon a sniper team should use should be limited to the sniper's rifle. Specifically, his long-range rifle. The only exception to this should be an ordered TARGET. In that case, the team should allow the security element to open fire with either rifle/carbine and/or grenade launcher, if so equipped. The sniper would be able to use either long-rifle or backup weapon (carbine, etc.) with TARGET commanded.

The player or the TacAI could order the TARGET command.

In all other cases, TARGET LIGHT, COVERED ARC, or the absence of any combat order, the ONLY weapon the team could use would be the sniper's long-rifle.

The coding issue would revolve around the TacAI commanded TARGET order. When is that appropriate? Right now, it seems that the TacAI does a pretty good job of ordering units to TARGET when they are threatened. The exception being sniper teams. They switch to the sniper's backup weapon too easily and the extra team member(s) open up far too much.

Thanks,

Ken

Gents,

I small idea occurred to me. The sniper teams cause a bit of frustration when the security/spotting element opens fire when they shouldn't. This gives away the team position and invites a response which often has a deleterious effect.

How about coding them to only fire when under attack? That would prevent them opening up on a target which the sniper has lined up. A covered arc or target light command would ONLY apply to the sniper. Target would still be a command for everyone to open up. Otherwise, the spotter/security element would only spot and, er, provide security.

Thoughts?

Ken

Coding snipers to only fire when under attack would be a bit frustrating for WEGO players. You set up a sniper team as overwatch as another squad crosses a field yet if that squad came under fire the sniper team would just sit and observe until the end of the turn till you can get them to provide some support.

I think maybe a 'hold fire' button that could do what your suggesting but it would be player activated when using snipers in scouting roles.

Gents,

Thoughts?

Ken

+1 Great idea/s

bodkin,

NOT the snipers! Coding the security element to stop firing is my goal. Right now the security element (the OTHER part of the sniper team) fires and reveals the team location. As well, the sniper will often revert to his backup gun for targets inside a certain distance (about 400 meters). These targets are marginal with the carbine, but would be easy with the sniper rifle.

The goal is to allow the sniper team to snipe; not act like a small fireteam.

Read my comments; I believe I was quite careful in ensuring that I was talking about the security/spotter part of the sniper team.

Ken

Split the javelin section into teams - 1 launcher in each team...

Exactly. Also, I imagine that the sniper team engages targets at the optimum range for their weapons. Not much point in snipering when the enemy is 300 yards/meters away. Some SF maps just dont do snipers justice. I know if I was on the ground and had an automatic weapon and my enemy appeared 200 meters away I would start putting down fire, mainly because 1 sniper round isnt going to stop a whole platoon of incoming 7.62!

So I think its about right, taking range and opposition into account.

• 2 months later...
bodkin,

NOT the snipers! Coding the security element to stop firing is my goal. Right now the security element (the OTHER part of the sniper team) fires and reveals the team location. As well, the sniper will often revert to his backup gun for targets inside a certain distance (about 400 meters). These targets are marginal with the carbine, but would be easy with the sniper rifle.

The goal is to allow the sniper team to snipe; not act like a small fireteam.

Read my comments; I believe I was quite careful in ensuring that I was talking about the security/spotter part of the sniper team.

Ken

Still would love to see more done with the sniper units......I think this issue along with the need for a tweak in "elite" level status units (which increases SA, accuracy levels, etc) would only further make CMSF that much better of a game/sim.

Since sniper teams are so valuable yet so vulnerable, when a sniper team of mine spots a valuable target (such as an HMG or ATGM team), I assign the sniper team a long and narrow cover arc which encompasses just the intended target unit. This has the effect of giving the sniper the green light to fire if he has a shot, but the other member(s) of the team continue to hold fire.

Is there a way to work the code using the " Hide" command? For example going back to the original question if there is a way to keep only the sniper firing and not the security element, I was thinking if using the hide command only the sniper rifle would fire at targets of opportunity or ied triggermen only man their detonators etc. . Then with that if you wanted them to hold fire completely you can set up the target arc/circle to 1 meter or whatever your individual s.o.p. is.