RPG effectiveness?

noxnoctum

Not sure about the RPG-29 but the RPG-7 will definitely kill BMPs and BRDMs from any angle (if they hit of course). Keep in mind though that the RPG-7 has an effective maximum range of 150 to 200 meters depending on the wind conditions, training of the operator and status of the target (moving or stationary). But even with optimal conditions (no wind, veteran operator, stationary target) your hit probability at 200 meters are pretty limited with the RPG.

If one were to compare them to tanks, the RPG-7V1 is like the T-55 (old but still a threat to all but the toughest targets) and the RPG-29 is like the Abrams (it will likely hit what it's aimed at, and it will put the hurt on what it hits). The RPG-29 is all-around better than the RPG-7: greater range, greater accuracy, greater lethality, greater variety of ammo. (The RPG-7D3, availabe to Syrian Airborne infantry, is basically a modernized version of the RPG-7V1. It is not all that much more accurate than the RPG-7V1 but has a greater effective range and fires the full range of modern rounds.)

;1158415']Though the manual states 500m as the range for the RPG29' date=' I have found to my dismay ;O) that hitting vehicles even at 300m is nigh impossible.[/quote']

It's a shoulder fired rocket launcher, with all that implies. Hitting a target a vehicle-sized target at 500m with a properly prepared and maintained rifle requires some degree of skill, probably on the order of 100-200 rounds. Rockets are trickier to aim, but how many nations have their AT gunners fire regularly enough to build and keep the skill.

What should dismay you is your AT-7s going all sorts of random directions even with a regular crew firing on a stationary target. Or your tank missing a window at 100 meters. WTF.

It's actually a bit more accurate than that, make sure the experience setting isn't something ridiculous like conscript. Conscript is meant to represent a level comparable to walking in off the street or only being two or three weeks through boot camp.

I've always been pleasently surprised (or horrified!) at the range of RPG's. <100m will give you a very good chance of a hit but they are still effective IMO up to 300m. It's all about the tactical situation, if you are prepared to accept a 50:50 chance of a hit then go for it at long range (up to 400m for a stationary target). If you look like you will get nailed as soon as you fire then wait for the sure kill.

As above, as soon as you get regular experience, the soldiers are pretty good with the RPG. Also remember that volley fire is a great idea. Why use 1 RPG when you can use 3? :)

Last point. I think that oversized rounds like the 105mm RPG-7 round might be harder to use in the game. I would be very surprised if they were usefull at long range in real life!

Edit: The RPG-29 is a little more accurate than the RPG-7. With an experienced operator you can squeeze 500m out of it if you have to.

Not sure about the RPG-29 but the RPG-7 will definitely kill BMPs and BRDMs from any angle (if they hit of course). Keep in mind though that the RPG-7 has an effective maximum range of 150 to 200 meters depending on the wind conditions, training of the operator and status of the target (moving or stationary). But even with optimal conditions (no wind, veteran operator, stationary target) your hit probability at 200 meters are pretty limited with the RPG.

I have a different experience, I regulary get hit at over 300m (with RPG7!) by green units and the crosswind sensitivity is very low (if it exists). I think it's too accurate in the game. Also there is a zero dud rate, which is totally unrealistic.

Although in theory you can get a hit at longer ranges, it is not the most efficient use of RPGs. First, your crew will miss a lot at longer ranges thereby wasting a lot of ammo. Second, when your crew fires, it exposes their location increasing the chance they will be killed by counter-fire before they hit anything. I only fire long range as a last resort.

The most efficient use of RPGs is in ambush position, firing when the target is 0-100 meters away. It is then almost a garanteed one-shot, one-kill, even against Blue tanks with a side/rear shot.

You can also use your RPGs to target enemy occupied buildings. They are quite deadly in that role.

I have a different experience, I regulary get hit at over 300m (with RPG7!) by green units and the crosswind sensitivity is very low (if it exists). I think it's too accurate in the game. Also there is a zero dud rate, which is totally unrealistic.

I always park my units more than 500m away from the Syrians because of this :)

The Soviets always thought that you had a 50% chance of hitting at 300m with the RPG-7. Indeed, the sights are set up to fire at 300m by default and the penetrating power of the warhead is optimal at this range.

The US army thought you had a 30% chance of hitting at 300m (stationary target, no crosswind)

It must be said though that the RPG-7 is not that easy to use and lower experienced troops should be pretty poor with it

Penetrating power? It's not a sabot round, the penetration values are the same, be if a shot from 10 meters or 500 meters.

If the warhead is travelling too fast the jet cannot form properly. At around 100m range the RPG rounds effectiveness drops off quite sharply as the sustainer motor has just burned out. At 300m the penetrating power is just as good as it should be. Unintuitive, but a lot of things about the RPG are unintuitive :)

penetration.jpg

If you don't mind expending a couple rounds per target, and as long as you're able to supress any return fire from your target's infantry screen, RPG seems to do a good job. Three rockets sounds like a reasonable trade-off for one burning BMP. The frustration comes when you've got just one round remaining, or if exposing yourself to your weapon is a suicide mission. Things never end well for me under those circumstances. :)

The toughest, BMP-3 is proof against .50 cal at combat ranges I think. Anything bigger has a good chance of setting off the autoloader carousell and BOOM! You'd need special armor to stop HEAT with any certainty. The exception is M72 LAW AT which his dinky penetration performance. The Brit version, The LASM, might be straight HE without a HEAT cone - thought I'm not 100% on that.

I always park my units more than 500m away from the Syrians because of this :)

Yup. 300 meters isn't safe if one doesn't wish to loose few vehicles. With regular/veteran skill level 400 meters against stationary target doesn't seem to be too much. Some conscript militia unit will have just lucky hits at those distances. But when i put my vehicles at that distance from enemy... Well i can just guess that they are bit better trained than my militia troops.

If i have green militia i have no problem to give them distant targets which they wouldn't hit but with luck. But if i happen to have regular-crack units at my disposal distances are usually 200 meters or less. Which is quite freaking funny. Or sad. Depends.

MikeyD:

The exception is M72 LAW AT which his dinky penetration performance.

Get's bit into splitting hairs side of things, but anyways:

Well M72 shouldn't be that bad with it's penetration, but it's warhead is optimiced for penetration so effects after penetration might not be so ideal, unlike M136. That is the story i've heard anyways.

Newest Norwegian LAWs which still has caliber of 66mm are said to penetrate past 400 mm, maybe close to 500mm. Which is quite insane for that caliber. That probably means that hole's diameter is very small.

If the warhead is travelling too fast the jet cannot form properly. At around 100m range the RPG rounds effectiveness drops off quite sharply as the sustainer motor has just burned out. At 300m the penetrating power is just as good as it should be. Unintuitive, but a lot of things about the RPG are unintuitive :)

penetration.jpg

Hm, one lears something new every day! :) Thanks for interesting information!