Ammo Question (7.62 and 5.56)

Hi,

if i play the syrian army, my soldiers have ak's. I think that these weapons use 7.62mm ammo.

The Ammo panel in the game shows from left to right:

small arms ammunition / MG ammunition [...]

Now if i add 7.62mm ammo to the syrian squad the "MG ammunition" rises. If i add 5.56mm ammo to them (why carry the bmp this type of ammo ??) the "small arms ammunition" rises...

Can anyone help my...i am confused.

EDIT:

Damn...just read that the "AK-74" uses 5,45 x 39 mm.... :D

God i am so dump !

it gets a bit confusing on the Syrian side since they use 2 types of small arms ammo.

The AKM/AKMS, which is the newer version of the AK-47, uses 7.62x39 mm ammo, as does the RPK/RPD. The AKM is the primary firearm of lower quality Syrian troops and irregulars.

The AK-74/AKS-74 uses 5.45x39 mm ammo. It is used by higher quality Syrian troops and some irregulars.

The left hand column shows the level of 5.45x39 mm ammo.

The second column from the left shows the level of 7.62x39 mm ammo and higher, so if you have a Dshk HMG which uses 12.7 mm ammo, its level would also be shown here.

So you first have to check what kind of firearm a particular unit has before you know what column to look at for their ammo level.

• 2 weeks later...
except for the RPD

For shake of my last bits of mental health i have to (finally) ask this. Are SAWs such as RPD (well not sure about this) and M249 considered to be LMGs or are they just SAWs and not LMGs?

And if there is some difference, what it is then? Weight? Place to where weapon gets slotted (into riflesquads or platoons MG-teams)? or something else.

What is definition of SAW? And what is definition of LMG?

So there.

SAW is the US term for a weapon that supplies a squad's automatic firepower.

LMG is a one-man carry automatic weapon.

My take on it is that an LMG requires a two man crew and is belt fed as in the old M60 machine gun (which was actually called an LMG by US forces at the time and not referred to as a SAW - I can remember when the SAW was introduced and the name SAW sounded odd at the time). The old M60 roles have apparently been divided up between the M240 and M249. The SAW is probably more along the lines of the BAR which is a non crew served weapon that one man can use without a second crew member. The M249 replaces the M60 in it's tripod role as an MMG. So, I'm figuring that the SAW is called a SAW because it is more in keeping with the BAR squad role (single man crew and magazine fed) as opposed to the M60 which was called an LMG (two man crew and belt fed) because it fulfilled more of the traditional MG42 role within the squad as well as the multi purpose role.

Different concepts for different armies.

The Lewis gun, the Bren gun and the Minimi were all classified as LMGs in British Army usage. All can be operated by one man or, more effectively, by two. By contrast the L86 is termed a LSW. It doesn't have a quick change barrel and two person operation probably wouldn't work very well.

The FN MAG in British service (L7) is referred to as a GPMG, either in the light (bipod, one man carry) or sustained fire (tripod, two man crew) role.

RPD stands for Rutshnoi Pulemyot Degtyaryova, which literally means Degtyarev's handheld machinegun. RPK means the same, K stands for Kalashnikov. PK is Kalashnikov's machinegun and PKM is modernized version. Now, whether you want to define them as LMG, SAW, GPMG or Automatic Rifles, is up to you, but that's the official nomenclature. (I call them boom sticks, but that's just me.)