ATI Users anyone getting opengl issues???

"e.g.

cd C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9_3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF\B_76557

then enter Expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll into cmd and press enter.

This will expand atioglxx.dll in the current folder.

copy atioglxx.dll and paste in cmsf's main folder.

I did also put it in modules just in case as I saw a dll in there."

Cant understand the cmd press enter part.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tdogg - the cmd bit means the command prompt - the old DOS prompt - you can access this by selecting the Start button (bottom left hand of your screen on the toolbar), select 'Run' and then type 'cmd' (without the quotes). This brings up the cmd prompt, you then type the 'cd C:\ATI\etc' from the post you quoted, but you'll need to type the actual path to your ATI drivers - what was quoted above is specific for that chap's driver location.

This workaround only works for Vista and Windows 7 - if you have XP this won't work.

tdogg - what Windows version are you running ? In order to use this fix you MUST be running Windows Vista (32 or 64 bit) or Windows 7 (again, 32 or 64 bit). Windows XP will NOT work with this workaround. Again this workaround is only for someone who wants/needs to use a newer driver, but needs CMSF to work still. Your Radeon MUST be compatible with the 9.3 Catalysts to use this workaround too.

You have to download the appropriate Catalyst 9.3 driver for your particular version of Windows. You can then run the installer, but then cancel it before it installs. This should have hopefully extracted the files from the installer.

The path:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9_3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\ Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF\B_76557

Is specific to the Windows Vista 64-bit version of the driver. If you've downloaded another one, it should be slightly different. If you've accepted the default paths for extracting the files, then they should be in:

C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9_3_your version of windows_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\varies\varies, but may start with a letter and then underscore, some number

You'll have to browse around for the file ( atioglxx.d__ ) in File Manager. Once you've found it then you need to open a Command Prompt (often opening up the "Run" dialog box and typing in "cmd" can get you a command prompt).

You need to issue "cd" commands to get to that directory where you found the file atioglxx.d__.

Once there type in "dir" to make sure the atioglxx.d__ file is in that directory.

Now you can type in "expand atioglxx.d__ atioglxx.dll" and press {Enter}. This should expand the file. Type in "dir" again and see if the atioglxx.dll file is listed. If it is, then you can close the command prompt.

Now browse to that directory (in File Manager) where you expanded the atioglxx.dll file. You can copy or move that file to the CMSF directory, which is defaults to:

C:\Program Files\Battlefront\Combat Mission Shock Force

with that file in the directory, when you launch CMSF it will now use that ATI OpenGL DLL file that is in the CMSF directory. You should now have a stable CMSF experience, while your other games (both DirectX and OpenGL) can use whatever other drivers you have installed.

Again this ONLY works for Windows Vista and Windows 7. IT DOES NOT WORK IN WINDOWS XP !

Ha! Well I got so sick of waiting for a fix that I ended up selling my ATI 4850 and buying an NVIDIA GTX 260 to replace it.

Now it seems there's a slight graphics hitch with the NVIDIA 190 drivers meaning that buildings can light up when there's a lot of weapons fire - I guess that's better than the game randomly crashing. The game looks fantastic with this new card, so I'll live with the occasional flashes and hope NVIDIA fix it with the next release.

I hope ATI have sorted it out for everyone else though!

• 3 weeks later...

As I posted on the other thread:-

This news should be stickied or something guys!

If you read the release notes that came with the latest 9.10 catalyst driver suite:-

Highlights of resolved issues

* “Combat Mission Shock Force” no longer fails after a duration of game play

I think I'm going to invest in a new card!

Edit :- I did buy a new card, I went for the 5850 as it has had such good reviews. Either way anyone with a newish ATI will now be able to play SF properly! Yay.

BUMP:

Directly from the ATI release notes:

""Combat Mission Shock Force" no longer fails after a duration of game play"

well all the complaints must have helped! Good to see ATI resolving issues specifically for games like CMSF, for which the audience is relatively small.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings ALL

OK so am i to understand that the ATI 9.10 drivers clear up the crashing issue. My card, and 1GB ATI HD 4650 was seldom mentioned in the thread. Wasnt sure anyone else was having this issue. I am running Win7 x64 I think....the damn thing has windows x32 AND x64 folders so i was getting a bit confused, most of the installed drivers seem to be 32bit??? Any informed confirmation will induce a Pavlovian dog-like response and send me searching for the proper ATI download page and hopefully, near term CMSF BF bliss!

Regards, MC

• 2 months later...

On my system Windows 7 x64 game crash on start. On Windows XP SP3 game run OK. Old atioglxx.dll bug come back ??

Asus P7P55D LE

Radeon 4850 512MB

Core i5 750

4GB DDR3

Podpis problemu:

Nazwa zdarzenia problemu: APPCRASH

Nazwa aplikacji: CM Shock Force DEMO.exe

Wersja aplikacji: 0.0.0.0

Sygnatura czasowa aplikacji: 4a5fa1db

Nazwa modułu z błędem: atioglxx.dll

Wersja modułu z błędem: 6.14.10.9405

Sygnatura czasowa modułu z błędem: 4b4e85ea