ATI Users anyone getting opengl issues???

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried it on my XP SP3 system which has an ATI 4850. I installed 9.7 and then expanded and copied the atioglxx.dll from the 9.3 driver installation to both my Combat Mission main directory and the Modules directory as described by Kenjara.

Unfortunately this resulted in the game not running at all - it will not launch unless I first remove or rename the freshly copied atioglxx.dll from the Combat Mission main directory. I tried removing the atioglxx.dll from the main directory but leaving it in the Module directory and the game launched, but this evidently leaves it running with the 9.7 drivers, as CMSF crashed after 5 minutes as per usual.

Lethaface, are you running Vista like Kenjara? Maybe this fix isn't compatible with XP?

I guess I'll have to wait for the official fix from ATI and go back to my trusty old 9.3s.

Bah.

Glad it works for you Lethaface!

But is a very interesting problem with regard to the other cards.

So me and Lethaface both have the 4870, although Lethaface has the x2 version grr. So it could be this fix only works on the 4870 but this is unlikely I would think its an xp/vista issue.

Ok heres a thought though, I brought my 4870 in december and it seems the 4770 is newer as reviews for it are dated around april 2009. So you could be right about it being newer and causing a problem, even though it has a lower series number. Seems there is roughly a years difference between the cards coming out.

Zatoichi, yes I'm using vista 64.

Will test up some more over the weekend, yesterday I had a go at the UK vs US mission and played it for a good half our without crashes. That wasn't possible before without 9.3.

So, Kenjara thanks again :)

I think it's definately possible that the 4770 is too new for the 9.3 drivers.

However, strange that zatoichi's 4850 doesn't work. Zaitochi, are you sure you downloaded the correct drivers for your XP install? (32/64)

Since your card should run the game with the 9.3 driver, it should not crash with the same dll under 9.7 drivers I reckon.

Or it is just lucky us and it isn't really supposed to work?

I think it must be a Vista/XP thing - my XP 32 bit system just won't start CMSF if I put the 9.3 atioglxx.dll in my Combat Mission main directory. It's definitely the dll from the XP 32 bit 9.3 drivers I've been using all along - this workaround just doesn't work for my set-up unfortunately.

Oh well, I'm glad it's working for you guys - I'll have to hold on for the ATI tech bods to fix it I guess.

It doesn't actually bother me too much at the moment, seeing as CMSF is the only PC game I've been playing recently - so not having the latest drivers isn't really a big issue for me. Not that I'm for one one minute suggesting that the aforementioned ATI tech bods should stop working on a fix of course!

Tried the new Catalyst 9.8 drivers for xp 32bit in hopes there might be some solution the dll is over 12mb so something different alas a no go crash as usual with the 4770 within 5 minutes or so. My card runs furmark stability test opengl 2.1 at 1680 x 1050 under load for an hour plus solid.

Spyre have they isolated the issue and are aware of the cause in relation to CMSF and the atioglxx.dll??

No clue, I just report stuff and then they tell me when its fixed. They may tell me after its fixed but then it wont really matter by then anyway as it will be fixed.

I have the same problem with ATI 4850 and Catalyst 9.8 - CMSF crashes just few minutes in the game. I've bought British Forces and haven't had a chance to play it yet, that sucks! :( I don't want to revert to 9.3 drivers, as 9.8 brought a great improvements to ARMA2 and some other new games. I just hope ATI will find a solution for this problem soon...

It looks like this workaround works with Windows Vista and Windows 7 only, for the moment. Windows XP doesn't seem to be dynamically loading the OpenGL ICD that is copied to the CMSF directory properly. That's why users can't get CMSF to launch once they've copied the 9.3 Catalyst atioglxx.dll file to the CMSF directory.

It's possible that Windows XP and the newer Catalyst drivers won't allow for dynamic loading of the OpenGL ICD, but instead require that the system uses a "system-wide" OpenGL ICD that is found in the Windows\System32 directory. There are registry settings to this effect that might prevent the dynamic loading of the 9.3 Catalyst OpenGL ICD.

If there is a way to get it to work under Windows XP, then the Radeon 4850 / 4850 X2 owners should be working also. The Radeon 4770 and 4890 owners may be out of luck since the 9.3 Catalysts didn't specifically support those cards. Of course it's still just an issue getting this workaround to work under Windows XP.

I'll post more if I can find any legitimate methods to get this workaround working on Windows XP.