ATI Users anyone getting opengl issues???

OK well good luck, I can see it being nearly impossible to catch the error from the drivers and know how to act upon it so I see while it would be a struggle.

One thing I did think of is as this is the only game I am ever likely to run in open gl is there anyway to run the latest drivers with the old opengl driver?

What if you were to say past the old dll in the place of the new one?

P.S. Have sent an email to ATI on the off chance it might do something.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, I'm not angry at Battlefront; far from it. I sympathize--it's nasty trying to manage all the crap necessary to get games to run on PCs, and the brave new world promised by all these wonderful APIs has never really materialized. Not Battlefront's fault, necessarily, even though as customers that's who got the money from us. But it's PC gaming, so yeah, we have to understand that things aren't always peachy. And I also agree that it's not that relevant to discuss other games working or not working, though I will say that it could actually help if we found other games with similar problems (the more problems the better likelihood of getting ATI cracking on the issues I think).

It's just that I was going to spend some time getting back into CMSF and now I can't for the moment. Not a huge deal--I have enough work to do, goodness knows--but a bit annoying.

I'll keep watching this space and the ATI drivers to see what happens at any rate.

Steve, if there is any way i can help i will. I can replicate this issue like a clockwork with 2 cards, 3800 and 4800 series. If it were not the licencing hassle, i could do it with 2 completely different computers.

It has something to do with memory leak as it will leak all available RAM 5mb per second once in the game.

It is not a problem now, but there isnt any promise that ATI will eventually do something about it. 9.3 -> 9.8 i can live, how about 9.3 -> 10.5 next year?

Well I got my response from ATI using the catalyst feedback thing. It was a waste of time, just a generic email giving 23 steps to try that either do nothing or gamers are bound to try before taking it to the internets.

No denial or acceptance that their driver is faulty.

You wont get a human reply from the Catalyst Crew feedback form, its not designed that way. Every bug submission is read though (as I know the people who read them), obviously the more details you submit the better really as it aids in replication of issues.

I should know I have been a beta tester for AMD for 5+ years.

This isn't a game I own though so its not something I have tested.

The more people who report an issue the higher a priority it gets which is why higher selling games get better support since more people report issues with them etc.

You wont get a human reply from the Catalyst Crew feedback form, its not designed that way. Every bug submission is read though (as I know the people who read them), obviously the more details you submit the better really as it aids in replication of issues.

I should know I have been a beta tester for AMD for 5+ years.

This isn't a game I own though so its not something I have tested.

The more people who report an issue the higher a priority it gets which is why higher selling games get better support since more people report issues with them etc.

Well its our lucky day, about an hour after the generic response I got an email from an ATI agent saying they will look into the issue.

Good news, I think I solved it. Obviously the issue still needs to be fixed properly but I have managed to stop my game crashing and played through the whole first mission!

I had a thought that if I put the old dll in the games folder it might use that instead.

So I put the 9.3 drivers opengl dll in the games folder and it works!

Yep looks like its solved.

This is what you do.

Download 9.3 from Atis old drivers page.

Let them extract to C:\ATI or wherever and cancel afterwards.

go to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9_3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF\B_76557

(of course will be different for xp and 32bit.)

open cmd and navigate to the folder.

e.g.

cd C:\ATI\SUPPORT\9_3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\LH6A_INF\B_76557

then enter Expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll into cmd and press enter.

This will expand atioglxx.dll in the current folder.

copy atioglxx.dll and paste in cmsf's main folder.

I did also put it in modules just in case as I saw a dll in there.

Hope this works for everyone I am way into mission 2 with no probs now.

P.S. Love the fact my game files are in german lol

Hi Kenjara I too have been trying this with my XFX 4770 card and found that the 9.3 opengl atioglxx.dll just will not load CMSF. When the 9.3 dll is in the system32 sub dir or the CMSF suuub dir the exe does not launch. My OS is XP sp3 and the ATI 4770 radeon chipset is relatively new so perhaps 9.3 does not work with this card. However I have been using the atioglxx.dll version 6.14.10.8673 I will test further on my end but I have been playing quick battles and they seem to make it through.

Im using a 4870 1GB so it shouldnt be your card is too new. upload some screenshots of exactly where you have the files. By system32 are you on about the drivers folder as I did nothing there just with the shock force folder.

Dont give up, it should work. I was planning this solution at work today lol. make sure you didnt actually install 9.3 and the files are in the right place. Also by the game refusing to run what happens exactly.

It certainly works at least for my system as I have now played though the entire second mission without a crash! :cool:

Hi Kenjara I placed the dll directly in the CMSF dir as you noted. It seems with that 9.3 atioglxx.dll when executing the cmsf executable I get no launch of cmsf and no error. The system32 dir I was refering to was the windows/system32 where the actual atioglxx is.

Thanks for all the follow ups, especially for the attention of Spyre. Sorry if my frustration with driver issues gets me making rather pointed posts. But... we've had to waste many, many, MANY hours of our time dealing with driver issues over the years and also suffering some rifts with our customers because of misunderstandings about where the problems really are.

As I said earlier, when we make an API call it should always work or never work. The particular computer it's on shouldn't matter. The particular card that's in that computer shouldn't matter. Which of the dozen or so versions and sub versions of Windows is running that computer shouldn't matter. It should be always works or never works. But at any given time there is someone out there with a Battlefront product that isn't working right and there's nothing we can do about it.

Very frustrating!

For those who are experiencing problems, what we're going to do is try and figure out what calls we're making are causing the problems. If we can figure that out we can explore the possibility of a work around. Sometimes this is possible, usually it isn't because the API calls we're making aren't chosen at random.

More info from us, or perhaps spyre, as we can muster it! Otherwise kenjar's solution might work for some of you in the meantime.

Steve

Hi Kenjara I placed the dll directly in the CMSF dir as you noted. It seems with that 9.3 atioglxx.dll when executing the cmsf executable I get no launch of cmsf and no error. The system32 dir I was refering to was the windows/system32 where the actual atioglxx is.

Hmm not sure whats going on there then. All I can think of suggesting is make sure you havent moved the original one. Maybe try an earlier dll if they are still there. You could be right its something your card doesnt like.

Would be strange if its to do with you using xp because if anything I would of though vista would be more fussy about that kind of thing.

That reminds me you didnt download either 64bit xp drivers or anything by accident did you because I nearly downloaded 32bit drivers when looking for the 9.3 drivers.

That was before I noticed they had a whole list of old drivers on ATI's site.

Waycool - it's possible that your Radeon 4770 will not work with the Catalyst 9.3 OpenGL DLL file. That particular Radeon was released after Cataslyst 9.3, so it's possible that some of the code within the OpenGL DLL file doesn't recognize/work with the Radeon 4770. I don't know what could be so unique about the 4770, but it is possible that it is different enough not to work without an updated OpenGL DLL.

So to double-check what you've done. You've downloaded the appropriate Windows version of the Catalyst 9.3/9.3.1 driver (I assume it is Windows XP 32-bit). You've done an "install" and cancelled it so that the files would extract (but not install). You've then "expanded" the ATIOGLXX.DL_ file to the ATIOGLXX.DLL file and then placed this file in the CMSF directory (and/or the MODULES subdirectory of CMSF). You've left the original Catalyst 9.7 ATIOGLXX.DLL file in the Windows\System32 directory. With this setup you are unable to launch CMSF at all ? Do you get any particular error/blue screen when you do this or does it just "crash to the desktop" with no further error reporting (or just doesn't appear to launch at all) ?

It sounds like you've also copied the Catalyst 9.3 ATIOGLXX.DLL file to the Windows\System32 directory. If this is the only thing you've tried (copying the 9.3 OpenGL DLL file to both CMSF and Windows\System32 directories), you may want to try it with the original 9.7 (or whatever version of Catalyst driver you have installed for your videocard) OpenGL DLL file in the Windows\System32 directory and the 9.3 OpenGL DLL file in the CMSF directories. However it is quite possible that what you've run into may still be true - the 9.3 OpenGL DLL file can't "setup" with the Radeon 4770 since it is too new.

Im using a 4800 series so its weird that it would be too new. But yes the mention of the system 32 directory does make me think the problem may be with the dll in there being modified. Might be worth checking the log viewer in windows to see if anything appears there when you try to run the game.

Hi all I have done a complete uninstall of my ATI drivers and re-installed Catalyst 9.7 my os is win xp sp3, video card XFX 4770.

Crash with stock 9.7 see below

AppName: cm shock force.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: atioglxx.dll

ModVer: 6.14.10.8787 Offset: 0062c8d8

Tried using the 9.3 atioglxx.dll in the cmsf dir per Kenjara instructions as well as modules and the game will not launch it just sits at desktop with no error but no cmsf. No joy. Not sure.