Official Ashes thread

Bout time to start this one. Can any Englanders tell me why the first stop is Cardiff?

There's a few conspiracy theories bouncing about: Ponting thinks it's because England have never usually won at the opening test at Lords. Some think it's because the Welsh are really the true Brits, while some suggest a kettleresque follow the money, with an Illuminati controlled Welsh Assembly, Welsh Tourist Board and the city council striving for World domination.

Well no surprise that the Welsh have taken over Dr Who and invented Torchwood. What further proof of behind the scenes alien contact do you need?

Actually I was surprised that there even was a cricket pitch in Cardiff. It's certainly not holding many surprises for the batsmen at this stage though.

It is the England and Wales Cricket board that controls "English" Cricket after all......and yes, they do actually play Cricket in Wales.

It is probably unknown to (ot jsut not thought about by) many that Wales became a "legal" part of England by the England and Wales acts of the 16th century rather than always havign been a seperate kingdom that happened to be conquered or united with England.

"Modern" Welsh nationalism is a fairly recent thing dating back to about teh 19th century.

Can I start bagging Ponting's captaincy yet, or should I wait until he actually loses a Test? This one smells like it's headed for a draw, especially if rains causes some losses of time. I'd never knock him as a batsman, of course, but his use of bowlers, timid field settings and general passivity drive me nuts sometimes!

Jeff Thomson had some typically frank assessments of Ponting's captaincy here that amused me at the time.

I think any side that is compared to one that boasts Hayden, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath would look bad in comparison.

Which isn't to say it's a bad side just not as good as one boasting those players.

Katich looked good as did Hilfenhaus imho...

If the Poms don't win this series I will be very surprised.

It has to be the worst Australian side in many years.

Oh don't worry mate.We are good at talking our footy and cricket teams up.We do it every time we play.Then when the chips are down we get reminded how crap they are.

I see a 5-0 white wash again.

If the Poms don't win this series I will be very surprised.

It has to be the worst Australian side in many years.

I would't say that. I think the side we sent to SA this year was worse in terms of skill and experience. It has certainly surpised me though how long it has taken to get over the McGrath/Warne/Langer team. We should have been on our feet by now with a consistent team.

With Collingwood looking doughty I went to bed, put the tape on for the last few sessions, got up early and ummed and ahhed for a few seconds before turning on the tape. So I went to Cricinfo and was glad that it saved me the bother! A thrilling draw (as only cricket can manage after 5 days' play). Fair result, I say. You need 20 wickets to win. We took 19 with our crappy inexperienced attack, and the people with the high hopes took a very unimpressive 5. If England's selectors have any brains they'll bring back Harmison for the Lord's Test. Australia doesn't need to make any changes –*to quote one of our most famous footy coaches, Jack Gibson, they "played strong, done fine".

As said in that Goodies episode "you don't play cricket to win, you play to draw".

I love how the English media are portraying this as 'the great escape' while the Aussie media are focusing on the 'cheating Poms'.

In my mind the little bit of needle at the conclusion of this match has made what was an uninspiring start to the series a little more interesting.

I've also got to say what difference there seems to be in the captains discipline. Ponting would have been furious if his bowlers congratulated each other on having 100 runs scored against them, but Strauss stood by while the English team congratulated Broad for his 100 runs against.

I've also got to say what difference there seems to be in the captains discipline. Ponting would have been furious if his bowlers congratulated each other on having 100 runs scored against them, but Strauss stood by while the English team congratulated Broad for his 100 runs against.

Or as Peter Roebuck put it:

"When he (Flintoff) took Phil Hughes's wicket on the opening day, he stood for an eternity with arms upraised. Next morning the picture appeared in most papers. It was the only Australian wicket to fall all day."

I love how the English media are portraying this as 'the great escape' while the Aussie media are focusing on the 'cheating Poms'.

I think the point is "the media". Even Ponting said that the blatant time wasting was not the reason we didn't win. Saving a few minutes made no difference once the need for Australia to bat again cropped up.

And of course the irony of Ricky Ponting moaning about things not being in the spirit of the game is not lost on many of us.

But you've got to admit, nobody celebrates a draw like England fans. :P