BF: Is CMSF "prepped" for a "CM Campaigns"?

Guest Guest

It's very straight forward as it was for CMC. Exporting the necessary data is just a matter of identifying what data an external program needs and Charles coding up an export dump file. Then he has to write an import function to take expected data and integrate it into the next scenario. Again, that's straight forward stuff that there's no point in doing until there's someone to do it for. Which is the real challenge.

Steve

It's very straight forward as it was for CMC. Exporting the necessary data is just a matter of identifying what data an external program needs and Charles coding up an export dump file. Then he has to write an import function to take expected data and integrate it into the next scenario. Again, that's straight forward stuff that there's no point in doing until there's someone to do it for. Which is the real challenge.

Steve

So you're saying that if some third party with the required ability and professionalism were to step in and say "I'm going to make a campaign layer program for CMX2 called 'CMX2 Campaigns'" it would be a 'real challenge' to do so... but come on, make my day?

Sounds like an invitation to me.

Anybody out there?

Edit to add: Ah! this thread was moved from the S & M D forum... more exposure out here, perhaps?

Well, it is really a game design question so it's not really a mods thing per se.

Correct that if someone put together a proposal for us that we had some faith in we might go forward with it. But mind you we already tried that with CMC and it didn't pan out. Everybody underestimates how much work it is to pull off. Especially people without relevant programming experience. Er, except for us. We do know and that's why we aren't doing it ourselves :D

Steve

Even if I like the general idea, please don't let us repeat the CMC desaster!

The only somewhat sensefull and simple things that comes to my mind is

a) an upgraded CMx2 campaign where the player can decide were to strike next, within some limits of course.

B) an upgraded CMx1 operation with a very large general map which is used only in parts, with persistent damages on the map.

And even this sounds surely already much simpler as it might be to do!

I don't want to sound like I am doing anything in the same league as CMC but I have something similar in the works that doesn't require coding. Right now it is pretty crippled by the very big map bug but I can hope I can announce it and continue work after the release of the Brits module.

Like Steve said - it turned into a much bigger project than I anticipated and even if I can finish it I can't implement all of my ideas!

Even if I like the general idea, please don't let us repeat the CMC desaster!

The only somewhat sensefull and simple things that comes to my mind is

a) an upgraded CMx2 campaign where the player can decide were to strike next, within some limits of course.

B) an upgraded CMx1 operation with a very large general map which is used only in parts, with persistent damages on the map.

And even this sounds surely already much simpler as it might be to do!

Which would appear to put the development burden back on BTS / BFC, which they aren't going to do.

Do you want to include an options in the operational level to take out the cell phone system? It would undeniably reduce enemy efficiency in the short term. Is it worth the additional local unhappiness? There are a nearly infinite number of questions like that that you have to at least consciously reject or deal with..

If I've followed this idea correctly for the last several years, it seems to be a matter of Technical Prowess Big...Potential Bucks Small. So people who've got the prowess don't have the interest. And people who've got the interest don't have the prowess or the money. That about right?

Adam,

I was just thinking more or less about the technical difficulties involved in interfacing another program with CMSF. If CMSF has been designed with that possibility in mind, with the frame there...

Dan is correct. The problem has never been a technical one on our part. It's very easy (relatively speaking) to export and import data to/from the game. It's just a matter of putting in the time to isolate the variables and deal with an outside source of input. Having a better code base (CMx2) probably makes it easier, but since the import/export thing isn't what's holding back a big meta campaign type feature it's not really relevant.

It's kinda like asking if it's easier to get from the front door of the super market to the icecream isle by going down Path A or Path B. The difference is rather small and it isn't really relevant when the desire is to eat the icecream at the top of Mt. Everest :)

In a nutshell... sure, I think it's easier to make an interface with CMx2 than it was for CMx1, but it doesn't matter since 99.98% of the work needed to play something that uses that data has to come after it.

Steve

How would you get the balance right for this sort of strategy level game in an asymetrical war? At present scenario designers make excuses why air power or arty is unrealistically sparse in some battles to give the battle more balance. However if your presumably controlling the entire forces available in the campaign theatre it would mean being able to bring overwhelming firepower down on the Syrians through combined forces or am I reading this wrong.

Which would appear to put the development burden back on BTS / BFC, which they aren't going to do.
That's right, but it seems to me that it's easier for BFC to upgrade some already existing features as to develop a new program from scratch to add a stratic layer. It's relativ easy to work with external data to do things like 'compose a force' or 'move force from A to B'. Even me with my, shall we say, selective programming abilities could do this, if I would have the time and energy. Worst of all seems to me to develop a stratic AI to a degree that it's a challenge for a human opponent. Even BFC has it's problems with that in the CM games - and they do have more than a decate of programming and development experience. May I remind that CMSF has nearly no (if any) stratic AI, so the scenario designer must create an AI plan?!

How would you get the balance right for this sort of strategy level game in an asymetrical war? At present scenario designers make excuses why air power or arty is unrealistically sparse in some battles to give the battle more balance. However if your presumably controlling the entire forces available in the campaign theatre it would mean being able to bring overwhelming firepower down on the Syrians through combined forces or am I reading this wrong.

Without picking deeply into the mechanics, getting the balance right will be an issue against conventional forces. I think it would possible to do a COIN ops campaign with some sort of CMC interface because even though there is the ability for Blue to overmatch, by weighting friendly force casualties and the impact of collateral damage and tardiness in rebuilding infrastructure as key elements in the campaign construct it would throw up interesting possibilities.

Scipio,

That's right, but it seems to me that it's easier for BFC to upgrade some already existing features as to develop a new program from scratch to add a stratic layer.

This is true. However, we aren't going to do either because there's no way we can afford the time for it. So the only option is for someone else writes a completely new, stand alone, program. We've had this discussion dozens of times over the past 10 years and it always boils down to the same basic problem. And that is there is no practical way for us to code a game within a game. Therefore, as I've said many times, the only way this will happen is if we have a viable business plan proposed to us. Anything short of that is simply of no practical value to any of us.

Steve

Scipio,

This is true. However, we aren't going to do either because there's no way we can afford the time for it. So the only option is for someone else writes a completely new, stand alone, program. We've had this discussion dozens of times over the past 10 years and it always boils down to the same basic problem. And that is there is no practical way for us to code a game within a game. Therefore, as I've said many times, the only way this will happen is if we have a viable business plan proposed to us. Anything short of that is simply of no practical value to any of us.

Steve

Yep, agreed. That's why I didn't asked for a full stratic layer added, even if the idea itself is appealing, and would be happy with an enhanced campaign system and/or CMx1 operation system, which provided some attraction, too. :)

In that case, we will improve the campaign over time. That was always our intention ;) It's worth it to us to think long term with CMx2 because we know it will be around with us for many years to come, unlike CMx1 where even before we finished CMBB we knew we would toss the code out and start over. When you know this you find yourself less motivated to think long term ;)

Steve