One of my big gripes with your system...

I love your game, I truly do.

But the single biggest annoyance I have with it comes from the interface. Why in gods name do I have to select a specific menu in order to select an option under that menu.

As an example, if I want to move fast, I have to first select the Movement tab and then press B. Now assuming B isn't used for anything else, wth can I not simply press B?

Just wanted to get that off my chest because every time I play this game I love it...but find it very frustrating not being able to press a key and have the order activated.

As usual, I'll put my normal "I am stupid sometimes and could've missed something" footnote in.

Thank you...but surely the same problem persists?

What I mean is, I wasn't complaining about the "weird" assignment of keys, rather that pressing a key does not work unless you have selected the correct menu. B (for fast move) is under the Movement menu...but if you are under the Combat menu and press B, nothing happens...you have to actively select the Movement menu and then press B.

Isn't that correct? With this new file (which I will give a try thank you), won't the same problem exist?

Me, I'm forever hitting 'K' and bailing my crew instead of "hunting" because I'm in the wrong menu. :( I 'learned' the game controls back before they had introduced the pop-up spacebar command. It looks like if only I could only retrain myself to use that it would make my own life easier. Its an 'old dogs-new tricks" thing.

That's and buy myself a new non-crappy mouse. :rolleyes:

Me, I'm forever hitting 'K' and bailing my crew instead of "hunting" because I'm in the wrong menu. :( I 'learned' the game controls back before they had introduced the pop-up spacebar command. It looks like if only I could only retrain myself to use that it would make my own life easier. Its an 'old dogs-new tricks" thing.

That's and buy myself a new non-crappy mouse. :rolleyes:

Come to the dark side Mikey.

The original reason to have four separate menus is that there are four types of Commands. When plotting Waypoints you're allowed to do the first three in conjunction with each other, while the fourth (Admin) is a state issue which isn't related to Waypoints. In order to make it clear which can be done at what time, and to have the visual space to show the Commands, we broke them up into four different groups. Obviously a lot of people don't like that so we implemented alternatives that are listed above. We have ideas how to change things even more, but I don't know when we'll have the time to implement them. They're pretty major changes.

Steve

Thank you...but surely the same problem persists?

What I mean is, I wasn't complaining about the "weird" assignment of keys, rather that pressing a key does not work unless you have selected the correct menu. B (for fast move) is under the Movement menu...but if you are under the Combat menu and press B, nothing happens...you have to actively select the Movement menu and then press B.

Isn't that correct? With this new file (which I will give a try thank you), won't the same problem exist?

Nope, it bypasses the menu system, hence the word "Hotkeys". You can customize these keys to anything you want. Just open up the hotkeys.txt file located in your C:Program Files\CMSF\Data folder and play around with it. Just backup the original in case you screw something up. What your after is below this title:

Command Keys Direct

// These will issue the designated command no matter what command panel is currently displayed

OM's alternative hotkeys is geared towards CMx1 players. Feels much more at home for us than the default keys.

With CMx1 I almost never use the "right click for menu" and have used the hotkeys for a very very very long time now (probably since before CMBB and maybe even before CMBO was officially released when we were still playing the beta demo). With CM:SF Other Means hotkey file was a godsend. A side benefit of it is that if I hit "F" for "Fast" but decide I don't want "Fast", but want ""Hunt" or something instead, having hit "F" got me into the movement menu so I can either hit the hotkey for what I would rather do or click on it in teh movement menu.

Hope it helps.

I switched to the direct keys immediately upon the game's release--I just don't want to have to double-check which context I'm in (and, of course, I was used to the CMx1 system).

Now I never give the wrong command unless I've been drinking.